+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T Laurel & Hardy Are Back At the Cinema

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I'd be interested to know the date.

The boys visited the Dudley Hippodrome, part of a 12wk tour (later extended) on May 12th 1947, They stayed at the Station Hotel just over the road for 7 days, before leaving for the next leg of the tour in Liverpool, catching the train next door to Dudley Zoo. They were on stage for around 45mins performing a sketch called the Drivers Licence. They would often greet the crowds outside the Hotel as they walked across the road to the Theatre. During the week they also visited the Cape Hill brewery in Smethwick.

On 19th January 1952 the boys decided to tour Britain again for the 3rd time after the offer of a new film didnt materialise. Their last film was Atoll K in 1950, which was not good, due in part to their poor health.

They would perform again at Dudley Hippodrome on the 15th September 1952 also staying at the Station Hotel. They performeed a sketch called a spot of trouble. Again they would greet large crowds outside the stage door as they returned to their hotel. After this they set off to Wales for the last 2 venues in Swansea and Cardiff before returning to the States. They would return a few months later for a 4th tour of Britain in 1953/54.

It was on this tour that the boys performed together for the final time, ever!! on May 10th 1954 at the Aston Hippodrome Birmingham. After the week they played there they set off for their penultimate venue at Plymouth when Hardy suffered a heart attack which resulted in the final tour stop in Swansea to be cancelled.
    Thanks for all that info. I wasn’t told anything else but this friend was about 70 and it was around 1978 when he told me

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Land Of The Giants started in 68 and I was totally hooked on it, Fitz and his suitcase of money!🤣

I was desperate for a model of the Spindrift spacecraft but it seemed impossible to get it over here, even the superb Dudley toy store Criterion didn’t have it.

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea was massive for me, Richard Basehart is the main man.

I used to make my own submarine control console by drawing on cardboard boxes and then throwing them around to simulate the Sun crashing like it seemingly did every week.

I doubt kids would dream of doing that sort of thing these days.

I also loved UFO in the early 70’s.
    Yes, I thought UFO was pretty good for a British space series. Quite imaginative. Gabriel Drake in her purple hair. Pretty cool stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)