+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F uck off Button

Yes, it was cancer. An interesting piece by Doug Fraser on John Osborne…….

https://oldbaggies.com/2018/05/18/do...-john-osborne/

So true what he says about the confidence that he gave to that team; sadly that is what we currently lack.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post

So true what he says about the confidence that he gave to that team; sadly that is what we currently lack.
    Thanks Ketts...I always remember a picture of him smoking a cigarette leaning against a goalpost.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post

I have never seen anyone like him and never will again. Characters like him have long gone and so has the fun from the game.
    He also had a swig of beer during a game and kept a slab of chocolate in the back of the goal. If we were winning comfortably he would take throw ins or bring the ball up the pitch, he was capped for England at schoolboy level as a halfback.
    He would also sit on the wall with the kids leaving his goal wide open.
    You will never see his like again.
    He would be my number one in any Albion side past or present. Not because he was a bloody good keeper, that alone would qualify, but for the sheer entertainment and fun he gave us.
    A great shame football wasn't televised like it is today. Such characters live only in the memory.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I have never seen anyone like him and never will again. Characters like him have long gone and so has the fun from the game.
    He also had a swig of beer during a game and kept a slab of chocolate in the back of the goal. If we were winning comfortably he would take throw ins or bring the ball up the pitch, he was capped for England at schoolboy level as a halfback.
    He would be my number one in any Albion side past or present. Not because he was a bloody good keeper, that alone would qualify, but for the sheer entertainment and fun he gave us.
    A great shame football wasn't televised like it is today. Such characters live only in the memory.
    He was also a clever man, went to see him and our team win the the Quiz Ball cup live on TV from a works social club.
    Mom saw me on the tele, no video players in those days.
    A clip of Arsenal on Quiz ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkYidVVOHos
    https://nostalgiacentral.com/televis...60s/quiz-ball/
    Last edited by soulman101; 11-02-2023 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    He was also a clever man, went to see him and our team win the the Quiz Ball cup live on TV from a works social club.
    Mom saw me on the tele, no video players in those days.
    A clip of Arsenal on Quiz ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkYidVVOHos
    https://nostalgiacentral.com/televis...60s/quiz-ball/
    Name:  p02mbf5r.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  87.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I was stood up the Smethwick End in my early t e e n s and Ossie loved to have a laugh with the crowd and especially the kids.

Someone bought him a pint of beer, shouted out to him and he came to the railings for a chat during play, drank half the pint and then put the other half in the back of his goal and swigged every so often.

Him and Willie are the two greatest characters of my 51 years of following Albion.

I doubt I’ll ever see another of our players aim a kick at a referee in the way Willie did at home against Brighton in a losing League Cup match!
    🤣🤣🤣

Do you remember him eating his sandwiches during the match.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Do you remember him eating his sandwiches during the match.
    No.......but I regularly see Button making an absolute meal of things!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Ah god post there Mick....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)