+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood for £10 million..?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Yes I agree OC that's how it works, I'm not sure what this has to do with TM valuations though. Are you saying that clubs actually refer to TM when deciding how much to ask for a player they want to sell or buy ? Would for instance Sean Dyche have looked up the value of Chris Wood on TM before deciding how much to offer Leeds for him ?
    Hi Sinkov I have no idea if Sean uses any sources. TM values are only a guide, but they allow comparisons across teams and countries and enable similar players with similar values to be identified by the public and media. The TM website has lots of useful information on players, not just values, such as contract dates, agents, games played, goals scored, clean sheets, clubs played for, the games they played and their values with actual transfer fees.
    Here’s Nick Popes profile we paid 10 times his value at the time.
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nick...spieler/192080

Chris woods shows we paid three times his £5m MV and Leeds paid 4 times his £900k value from Leicester while they paid just over his £0.9m value from WBA
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chri...spieler/108725
    Last edited by oldcolner; 10-04-2018 at 09:17 PM.

I'm still mystified OC, who decides what a player's book value is at TM, is it one man, is it a committee, do they use an algorithm ? How are they/him/it better qualified to assess the book value of a player than any member of the general public or media ?

It's of no use whatsoever to fans, and I can't imagine clubs or managers use it, if they have to refer to a website to check the valuation of players then they're not fit to be running a football club.

Sinkov
    They don’t say how they value players so I can’t answer. Clearly a transfer fee affects the value as Keane and Gray both went up on leaving, as does length of contract. There are so many players on the data base that it would need to be an algorithm to be manageable.

I’m a fan and I find the site very useful (values are one small part of it) and I’m not alone. I doubt managers or clubs use it for the value of their own players, after all its only a guide. They may use it to identify potential future purchases. Some may, some may not. It’s there to be used or not and it is the only such reference available publicly that goes almost worldwide.
    I doubt you and I in a pub could agree values for their list of players.

What do you believe your car is worth? There are many guides but it’s only worth what someone will pay you for it. Do you use the guides or not. Its your choice just like TM. You leave it and I’ll take it.

I'll tell you what OC, a proper good lottery win would buy you a Champions League winning team at those prices!

A case in point: Keane went to Everton for £30 million, Stones went to Citeh for £50 million.

By that reckoning, England new boy James Tarkowski must be now worth £40 million.

TM currently have him valued at £5 million!

Attachment 9091

Ronaldo has a €1bn buy out clause. Messi £250m Bale £75m
    These are the selling clubs values.
    Tarks could well be worth £40m or even more to us with a 2022 contract.
    His TM value is based on his performance to date which is really only 25 games this year and 19 last. Their values seem to change in January and July his value doubled in January. Keane was valued a £10m when we sold him for £30m
    What buyers think Traks is worth may be less than our view but if they are desperate could be more.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Sinkov
    They don’t say how they value players so I can’t answer. Clearly a transfer fee affects the value as Keane and Gray both went up on leaving, as does length of contract. There are so many players on the data base that it would need to be an algorithm to be manageable.

I’m a fan and I find the site very useful (values are one small part of it) and I’m not alone. I doubt managers or clubs use it for the value of their own players, after all its only a guide. They may use it to identify potential future purchases. Some may, some may not. It’s there to be used or not and it is the only such reference available publicly that goes almost worldwide.
    I doubt you and I in a pub could agree values for their list of players.

What do you believe your car is worth? There are many guides but it’s only worth what someone will pay you for it. Do you use the guides or not. Its your choice just like TM. You leave it and I’ll take it.
    I'm even more confused now OC, you say TM figures are book values, but I've just had another look at the site and it says Market Values, I can only assume that means transfer market values. The site does contain a lot of useful stuff, I'm not disputing that, it's just these values which some people, including your good self take very seriously, fair enough, but for the life in me I just can't work out why, their values are all over the place and seem little better than guesswork, and could be replicated in any pub or on any forum in the land.

I've just had a look at their figures for BFC, and to be honest I agree with many of them, they're reasonable estimates, but some are clearly nonsense, Tarkowski £6m, Taylor £5m, Gudmunsson £4m, Barnes £4m, Wood £12m, a good £70m pounds-worth of players there, TM value around £30m, and how on earth they value Vokes at just £1m more than Wells is way beyond my comprehension.

Of course everyone is free to take or leave their valuations, and take them seriously if they want, but they are so wildly out in so many cases I just cannot understand why they are given any credibility at all, or quoted in transfer discussions as though they were a reliable guide to a player's value, when they clearly are not.

You ask how much my car is worth OC, if Parkers said you had a car worth £6m, same as TM's Tarko valuation, and then you found you could sell it for £20m plus, as we could with Tarko, then would you be using Parkers again ? I don't think you would OC.

Sinkov
    You misunderstand me, I don’t take them seriously. All I am saying is that they are an indicator of comparative value worldwide (almost) and some players sell for more and some sell for less.
    I have frequently said that players in demand sell for double or treble the TM value and players not in demand go for less or go free.
    Keane had a value of £450k when we paid £2.5m for him and was valued at £10m last spring. We sold him for £25.7m they say and his value then was £16.5m. He is now valued at £18m.
    I wouldn’t give them more than that for him now. Would you?

Please stop digging OC?

Honestly, it's getting painful to watch now...

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Sinkov
    You misunderstand me, I don’t take them seriously. All I am saying is that they are an indicator of comparative value worldwide (almost) and some players sell for more and some sell for less.
    I have frequently said that players in demand sell for double or treble the TM value and players not in demand go for less or go free.
    Keane had a value of £450k when we paid £2.5m for him and was valued at £10m last spring. We sold him for £25.7m they say and his value then was £16.5m. He is now valued at £18m.
    I wouldn’t give them more than that for him now. Would you?
    Keane is a tricky one imo OC, in the hypothetical case that he was for sale, I doubt he would fetch now what he did last summer, but Everton would be reluctant to take a loss on him, as he's still a young defender good enough to play for England and still with lots of potential. I have to hold my hand up OC, I haven't a clue what figure I'd put on Keane. What would you say ?

On Feb 12
    Manager Sam Allardyce will listen to offers for the 25-year-old England international centre-back in the summer, but knows they may have to take a big financial hit on the former Manchester United starlet.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...chael-12003025

I doubt we would want or afford him though this says we are monitoring the situation.
    £15m would be my starting suggestion if Sam wants to offload him. Willing to go to £18m but not much more. He would need to take a big drop in salary which was said to be double what he got here. Not sure he would get in the side apart from the cup and maybe Europe!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)