+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's went wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    Sorry, fellow posters. I said after the game against Linfield that some of you couldn't handle the truth. Well, we got the truth today. Aloreburn reckons we can't go from so good to so bad in such a short period of time. Those of us who are prepared to analyse critically our performances this season knew that we had not been "so good". To a large extent we were carried along by the form of Stephen Dobbie who, unfortunately, has not quite lived up to his early promise. Look at recent games: utterly outclassed 0-5 by a very average Rangers; not very impressive in a 0-0 draw at home with Hibs (who are experiencing their own continuing slump in form); a dreadful performance in 0-0 draw away to Dumbarton; a thoroughly unimpressive 2-0 win at home to part-time Linfield (but only after extra-time as the part-timers tired); and finally a 0-5 thrashing by Morton at home. Aloreburn rightly makes the point that we have now gone five games without scoring in the regulation ninety minutes. I readily concede that I had not expected such a heavy defeat today but I was not surprised that we lost. A defeat has been on the cards these past few weeks. I shall always believe that a team will not improve and progress unless performances are forensically analysed for the good but especially for the bad. It is delusional to ignore poor performances even when results go our way; and we have papered over a fair few cracks this season. I am not going to suggest that the bubble has well and truly burst, but it has certainly sprung a leak lately. We have Ayr United next week. They have come on to a bit of form of late which should make for an interesting contest.
    I am one of those who can handle the truth and was not fooled by some hollow victories early in the campaign. Yesterday's result came as no surprise considering our recent dip in form and Hilson,Tapping,Jacobs,Higgins and Lyle unavailable for selection. The margin of victory was surprising in light of Morton only hitting net eight times in as many matches. Queens started off like a bomb forcing two corners in the opening minutes but the crucial first goal came to Morton as the ball flew into the net past an unsighted Robinson. Queen's heads seemed to drop and although Dobbie should have equalised Morton ran out worthy winners.

We shall have to get this one out of our system but next week's clash with Ayr looks daunting. I remain optimistic and with some of our injured players returning we are still in the mix. We still however lack experience in midfield and this should have been addressed during the close season.

Disappointing crowd again which was not helped by a poor turnout by the Morton support.
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 16-10-2016 at 04:17 PM.

There is a lot to look forward to Admin . Let's not forget that fact. Danny is a real worker and will hound his opponents when not on the ball. Exactly the type of player we need in a tight knit squad and necessary when up against far bigger and wealthier sides than ourselves. I wish he was ready but we need to be real patient with him and not give him another injury setback. Dale Hilson is the man we have missed badly with his scorching runs down the left and closing down of opponents . The club are reluctant to tell us what the score is with him for some weird reason. Queens will be dishing out a few more bloody noses this season so let's stick together and ride out this rough patch .
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 16-10-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Points victory for JSsLeftPeg over the Victor Melgrew of QOS Mad

On the subject of Victor Melgrew , whatever happened to Veteran ? Does he still attend games , is you still in the huff after the Queens Rangers vote or with all due respect is he still with us ?

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    There is a lot to look forward to Admin . Let's not forget that fact. Danny is a real worker and will hound his opponents when not on the ball. Exactly the type of player we need in a tight knit squad and necessary when up against far bigger and wealthier sides than ourselves. I wish he was ready but we need to be real patient with him and not give him another injury setback. Dale Hilson is the man we have missed badly with his scorching runs down the left and closing down of opponents . The club are reluctant to tell us what the score is with him for some weird reason. Queens will be dishing out a few more bloody noses this season so let's stick together and ride out this rough patch .

Why exactly aren't the club telling the paying customer what the injuries to Hilson & Tapping are ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Points victory for JSsLeftPeg over the Victor Melgrew of QOS Mad
    Ftivano1, if you think that JRS's ad hominem post (in which he seems to imply that I somehow gained some form of satisfaction from a heavy home defeat but in which he makes no attempt to address the substance of my post) and then follows it up with a further post in which he still does not address the substance of my post is a points victory for JRS I shall be quite happy to take such a points defeat any day. I praise when praise is due and I criticise when criticism is due; that the latter is more often than the former tells its own story (and I shall leave you to interpret that in whatever way you choose). All the evidence supports my views that the standard of Scottish football from club level to international level is at or very near an all time low (and, sadly, Queens are no exception) and is showing no signs of improving; and do let me remind you that in a very recent survey 70% of fans think that Scottish football is poor or very poor value for money. Furthermore, you may have watched the recent TV programmes on Scottish football during which the view was expressed that we Scots consistently over-estimate how good we are and under-estimate how good are the opposition. While those sentiments were aimed primarily at our international efforts they are equally relevant all the way down. I want better than what is on offer at club level at Palmerston and better than what is on offer at national level at Hampden and I make no bones about expressing these views: if they offend the sensitivities of other posters so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    On the subject of Victor Melgrew , whatever happened to Veteran ? Does he still attend games , is you still in the huff after the Queens Rangers vote or with all due respect is he still with us ?
    Like you I would like to know what happened to Veteran. I haven't seen him at any games since the Rangers debacle so he would seem to have been as good as his word. His well constructed arguments are a major loss to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    Ftivano1, if you think that JRS's ad hominem post (in which he seems to imply that I somehow gained some form of satisfaction from a heavy home defeat but in which he makes no attempt to address the substance of my post) and then follows it up with a further post in which he still does not address the substance of my post is a points victory for JRS I shall be quite happy to take such a points defeat any day. I praise when praise is due and I criticise when criticism is due; that the latter is more often than the former tells its own story (and I shall leave you to interpret that in whatever way you choose). All the evidence supports my views that the standard of Scottish football from club level to international level is at or very near an all time low (and, sadly, Queens are no exception) and is showing no signs of improving; and do let me remind you that in a very recent survey 70% of fans think that Scottish football is poor or very poor value for money. Furthermore, you may have watched the recent TV programmes on Scottish football during which the view was expressed that we Scots consistently over-estimate how good we are and under-estimate how good are the opposition. While those sentiments were aimed primarily at our international efforts they are equally relevant all the way down. I want better than what is on offer at club level at Palmerston and better than what is on offer at national level at Hampden and I make no bones about expressing these views: if they offend the sensitivities of other posters so be it.
    Cresswell, by now I am sure that everyone connected to this website have seen and read your thoughts regarding the terminal decline of Scottish football irrespective of whether they agree or otherwise. As I have said before although it may be an interesting topic it does tend to harp back to halcyon days probably to the mid late 1970's and before that. We are no longer in that era so can we just concentrate on the here and now. What we do need on this site is positive rather than continued negative posts and recognise that Queens have had their best ever start to a campaign in this division, starting with a lengthy unbeaten run combined with a solid defence albeit with a small squad of experienced players supplemented by a good number of potentially talented development/academy youths. We had our first serious league set back at the weekend where the deficiencies in the squad numbers was highlighted. Hopefully we can get some of these experienced players back soon and continue the form that got to the position we are in at the moment. So lets not harp back to days gone by, and for many a distant memory, and get fully behind the team and the excellent job that Skelton s doing with a very limited budget. Mon the South

There have been some excellent posts on this particular thread and it should be required reading for the management and BOD.

If I could start with the crowd, - it was the beginning of the October holidays and whether we like it or not, a lot of people go away at this time of the year, - so that probably took 2 or 300 off the gate. Thank God they were on holiday though!

On the positives, - only Lindon Dykes gave 100% and he was particularly unlucky when he tried to catch the keeper off his line. That lad should be given a massive bonus for his efforts and the rest of the team should be fined for not bothering to turn up.

What disappointed me the most was that the rest of the squad looked totally unfit, they had a couldn't care less attitude and they started playing those suicide passes so beloved of last year. Even Gavin Skelton was almost motionless on the touchline, while Jim Duffy was furious at aspects of his teams play when they were 5-0 up!

Most worrying of all was Dobbie's body language, - apart from a cracking shot in the first half, he attempted some flicks but he was easily snuffed out by a far hungrier Morton squad.

By comparison, Quitongo was superb as was 'our' Oliver and 'our' Murdoch, whom we should have snapped up when we had the chance earlier in the summer. Murdoch's work rate makes Millar look lazy and he isn't a liability when it comes to the referee dishing out yellow cards.

Over all, our discipline was appalling and it mirrored our attitude to the game, right down to Robinson who looked as though he didn't give a damn on Saturday.

To conclude, I don't know what's gone wrong with Queen of the South, but unless they give themselves one almighty kick up the arse, punish themselves with double training sessions and get people like Hilson and Carmichael as fit as soon as possible, and someone in midfield, they are heading for a free fall, - and like the Morton supporters suggested on Saturday "Queen of the South are going down"

Haven't seen Jim Wardhaugh (Veteran) at a game for the past two seasons so hopefully he is still in good health !

cresswell is right in all he says here ,i too have noticed from the start of the season we aint all that strong ,massive weekness down our left hamil is a decent crosser but poor at getting back and his lack of pace is being exploited ,in the central mid we are lacking a bit of quality aswell jacobs has been alot better this season compared to last tho ,where i think its going wrong well gav started the season with his new system which cot alot of teams cold was working a treat with a bit of good luck mixed in ,teams have now found the way we play out ,there marking the right men and attacking us heavily down our left flank and upping there aggression against us which stops us playing ,gav needs to mix up his setups abit likes .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)