+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dan Jones Staying

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    IMO, the game has moved on a tad from having 4 guys across the back whose sole job it is to defend....if you have players like Jones and Toots who love to go on a swashbuckling run down the wing, releasing the wingers to cut into the box then this adds another weapon to your arsenal.....if you are worried that it might leave us exposed at the back , then get Hewey to drop back to cover the counter attack.....our little cousins over the river had a great little player for years, who also played for England, that took off at the slightest chance....and it didn't seem to do them, or England, any harm!!

If you would rather have a turgid pub-player like Dicko instead of Jones then that is your right....but if I was AH-KN and wanted bums on seats and attacking wing-play, then Jones is your man.
    There is still room in the game for a 'spoiler', someone to disrupt attacks and generally be a nuisance, Bruno Alves has made a career of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    There is still room in the game for a 'spoiler', someone to disrupt attacks and generally be a nuisance, Bruno Alves has made a career of it.
    Yes, a centre-back ie Duffy's job.....not a huge amount of skill, disrupt play, go toe-to-toe with the big attackers, stand firm and lead the line (falling over at the right times, helps as well?)

LB and RB needs to have something more about them....ie a bit of skill and flair........IMO

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    IMO, the game has moved on a tad from having 4 guys across the back whose sole job it is to defend....if you have players like Jones and Toots who love to go on a swashbuckling run down the wing, releasing the wingers to cut into the box then this adds another weapon to your arsenal.....if you are worried that it might leave us exposed at the back , then get Hewey to drop back to cover the counter attack.....our little cousins over the river had a great little player for years, who also played for England, that took off at the slightest chance....and it didn't seem to do them, or England, any harm!!

If you would rather have a turgid pub-player like Dicko instead of Jones then that is your right....but if I was AH-KN and wanted bums on seats and attacking wing-play, then Jones is your man.
    Dickinson back? Oh god no! I totally get your point about having a wing back, but I dont even think Jones is that great at that role. He will also be 32 next season. I'd have much rather blown some beans on a Bola or Taffolo type player who add youth and may be worth something one day. We've been down the Jones-type player route before. We need to adopt a Peterborough-style approach and sign younger lads (which to be fair we have done so far).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123