+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Cup.. Russia 2018.

I am in complete agreement with Champs and Despair about the what the PL has become - especially in terms of the egos and attitudes of many players in the top six. A lot of the blame falls on the agents and other hangers-on who get hold of them when they're very young and turn them into selfish brats.
    I have always hoped, though, that playing for their country can at least make them forget their super-star mentality for a while.
    Funny - I'm not usually the romantic type!!
    I would again like to drop my hobby-horse in here: the PL would be far more enjoyable and competitive if the top six were removed to a European super-league.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I am in complete agreement with Champs and Despair about the what the PL has become - especially in terms of the egos and attitudes of many players in the top six. A lot of the blame falls on the agents and other hangers-on who get hold of them when they're very young and turn them into selfish brats.
    I have always hoped, though, that playing for their country can at least make them forget their super-star mentality for a while.
    Funny - I'm not usually the romantic type!!
    I would again like to drop my hobby-horse in here: the PL would be far more enjoyable and competitive if the top six were removed to a European super-league.
    Wouldn't work aucks. The ones left behind would implode financially. Like it or not, we are dependant on the big 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Theres a fair bit of arrogance about a few of these players. I don't think characters like that feel pressure too greatly. The only question then is, do they have the ability?
    Thats a good question Sax, and the jury is still out of course as to whether they are good enough and what they are capable of.
    I don't mind the touch of arrogance actually, because we should be setting ourselves targets, otherwise whats the point in even wanting to qualify.

The best players have arrogance about them. Any other view is misplaced IMO.

A problem as I see it is many fans want them to look at england 1966 as inspiration. These young players have no interest in doing that. I think they have a closer affinity with current US sports stars and look to them as inspirational figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Wouldn't work aucks. The ones left behind would implode financially. Like it or not, we are dependant on the big 6.
    Does that have to be the case, though? The actual PL games would be much more interesting, and you wouldn't have this ridiculous 12-team scramble to avoid relegation.
    Wages would be lower, but it would be a player-showcase for the Super League teams.
    I know you're probably right, but the current situation has become farcical - in terms of the football itself. There were only six PL teams with a positive GD!
    I can only see the situation becoming MORE entrenched. I wonder how long it will be before there is another Leicester.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Thats a good question Sax, and the jury is still out of course as to whether they are good enough and what they are capable of.
    I don't mind the touch of arrogance actually, because we should be setting ourselves targets, otherwise whats the point in even wanting to qualify.
    I don't think arrogance is the same as confidence myself. And I don't think either works alone, anyway. You need to have a work-ethic and team spirit too.

Note Sax;
    Nah , don’t much like either - esp cricket. However, I can acknowledge the athleticism of tennis.
    But, I can assure you (believe me or not) I won’t be watching WC. I will be out running an cycling.
    If the tour is as good as the giro; there’s something that you missed off your ‘optional entertainment’ 😉
    Yet again as Champs says: ‘what the hell are we doin in Russia’?
    Rigged seedings, groups and fixtures and the like, courtesy of Sep Blatter. No thanks.
    It’s good to rant !

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Note Sax;
    Nah , don’t much like either - esp cricket. However, I can acknowledge the athleticism of tennis.
    But, I can assure you (believe me or not) I won’t be watching WC. I will be out running an cycling.
    If the tour is as good as the giro; there’s something that you missed off your ‘optional entertainment’ ��
    Yet again as Champs says: ‘what the hell are we doin in Russia’?
    Rigged seedings, groups and fixtures and the like, courtesy of Sep Blatter. No thanks.
    It’s good to rant !
    Despair, my wife and I are avid watchers of the TdF, the Giro and the Vuelta.
    This year's Giro was brilliant.
    I know Froome raises a lot of mixed feelings, but his climbs on Zoncolan and up to Sestriere were epic. I've read a lot of reports about the minutely-detailed plans Froome and his team made before that Sestriere stage. Talk about ruthless! I felt sorry for Yates, but I also felt in awe of what Froome did.
    By the way, quite apart from the sport, the scenery makes us very nostalgic!

Despair, my wife and I are avid watchers of the TdF, the Giro and the Vuelta.
    This year's Giro was brilliant.
    I know Froome raises a lot of mixed feelings, but his climbs on Zoncolan and up to Sestriere were epic. I've read a lot of reports about the minutely-detailed plans Froome and his team made before that Sestriere stage. Talk about ruthless! I felt sorry for Yates, but I also felt in awe of what Froome did.
    By the way, quite apart from the sport, the scenery makes us very nostalgic!
    Saw the TDF in France a couple of years back. Had a great view!

I don't think arrogance is the same as confidence myself. And I don't think either works alone, anyway. You need to have a work-ethic and team spirit too.
    I was also talking about our own ideas as fans Aucks mate, whether we as England fans should be arrogant as well.
    Arrogance tends to go along with confidence doesn't it as you've suggested, and we can and do often mix the two together as fans.
    Last edited by Acido; 08-06-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)