+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dyche plays the underdog card...

Very true sinkov, however, nothing can be guaranteed ----ask Stoke, Swansea and West Brom.

Wages should be mitigated by relegation clauses though to match parachute payments.
    I thought our players wages in 16/17 were just over £25m sinkov. £37m Sean was quoting was last year. Sean now on £3.5m I suppose backroom
    Staff get £3m between them but the rest ..., ?

I’d guess at someone like Aston Villa Oc , massive club, now with wealthy owners and looking to get into the Premiership

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Wages should be mitigated by relegation clauses though to match parachute payments.
    I thought our players wages in 16/17 were just over £25m sinkov. £37m Sean was quoting was last year. Sean now on £3.5m I suppose backroom
    Staff get £3m between them but the rest ..., ?

Don't know about just player wages OC, it's never itemised in the accounts, but this is from the Annual Report dated 30 June 2017.

"Total staff wages increased from £38 million to £61 million, but perhaps more significantly from £29 million in our previous Premier League season of 2014/15." That £61m is the figure D&T were referring to.

I can remember Kilby talking about relegation clauses back when we were first promoted. It was a bugger trying to get the wage bill back down after relegation, and he was asked what happened to the relegation clauses. He said there weren't any, players agent's just wouldn't sign up to them, he said if we'd have insisted on them we'd never have signed anybody. I don't suppose it's any different today.

I’m not sure Oc there is any mileage in players being upset over wages as in your post we have a divide already in wage amounts and payments to players, so if we brought in a better player who gets 8k a week more but scores 20 goals and keeps us in the premiership, can’t see it being an issue.
    When I played we had players on more money than others, didn’t bother me just happy to be playing in the team.
    I honestly believe that it’s scaremongering because our board simply don’t want to go to the next level.

Thanks army for your insight.
    Surprised Sam is on around half of Woods wage. Lindegard an eighth of it.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    I’m not sure Oc there is any mileage in players being upset over wages as in your post we have a divide already in wage amounts and payments to players, so if we brought in a better player who gets 8k a week more but scores 20 goals and keeps us in the premiership, can’t see it being an issue.
    When I played we had players on more money than others, didn’t bother me just happy to be playing in the team.
    I honestly believe that it’s scaremongering because our board simply don’t want to go to the next level.
    Don't agree with players on different amounts being a problem (unless you have the mentality of Rose at Spurs), who knows what's in another's contract ? The player/manager/chairman, and you are not going to show it to all and sundry are you, unless you are a bit of an idiot, probably many players at many Clubs are on different scales, I'd guess army's last line hits the real truth.

Sinkov that’s helpful and we’ve debated this before. I thought it interesting Sean said players wages were not £61m as some think but £37m. It doesn’t explain the difference though.

West Brom had relegation clauses halving wages of some or having buy out sums. Hence Rondon being £16.5m. Maybe their agents didn’t think they would be relegated.

Truly right now I do not give a flying Fcuk about wage structures. If we are to stay in the Premier League (which is SD's default position) we MUST strengthen our squad. We simply do not have the numbers to compete on 3 or 4 different fronts.
    NOW is the time (today not tomorrow) to stop pissing about, sign the deals, pay the wages and get Jay Rod, Clucas and Gibson on board NOW!
    Unless the Board need reminding, we are flying to Turkey on Wednesday morning! Fcuk Keeping Calm and Carrying On. The time for panic is NOW!

The really frustrating thing for me is that we cannot be far off in valuation or wages on these players or we wouldn't be in for them. We got £18m for Gray, but we're talking around £16m for Jay, imo WBA are perfectly entitled to expect at least £20m for him. We must know by now what WBA's bottom line is, we must know what wages Jay will want, we haven't signed a single player all summer, if the manager had any hair, he'd be tearing it out, we are not in debt, OK the money is important but we're not strapped, if it takes a few extra million to land Jay, we can afford it, and as I said, we must be close or we wouldn't still be in for him.

FFS, just do it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)