+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do we need another keeper?

I saw Jordan Smith play for Nuneaton a couple of seasons back, he looks small to me 5ft 10ins? His distribution is OK but not sure he would be the answer. It's a pity Spiess wasn't given a fair chance by Derry. He was an excellent prospect, I remember Rodwell shouting we will get a million for him!

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Calm down - it is the first game of the season....CLEAN SHEET.....no, we don't need another keeper.....jeez
    Agreed. We drew against a decent team, the reaction as usual is embarrassing. Aren't we supposed to be supporters?

Is it just me being old fashioned thinking it's quite good fun to actually support your football team rather than forensically examine every negative aspect ad infinitum?

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Agreed. We drew against a decent team, the reaction as usual is embarrassing. Aren't we supposed to be supporters?

Is it just me being old fashioned thinking it's quite good fun to actually support your football team rather than forensically examine every negative aspect ad infinitum?
    Spot on Driller, I am able to remember George Smith, Barry Watling was not the tallest of keepers but he commanded his area and save 5 penalties in a season, just give Fitz a chance. I am sure if we need another keeper Big Norm is on the case our Management are not Loons you know.

Despite a draw on Saturday there is still enough evidence since pre season started that Fitzsimons looks like a downgrade on Adam Collin. Watching matches with your eyes open and having an opinion does not make you less of a supporter, wanting your team to improve and be better issupporting the team imo.

The result wasn't 'bad' however the performance was. Colchester looked a decent side though, pacey and big/strong and we struggled to match them for long periods.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Despite a draw on Saturday there is still enough evidence since pre season started that Fitzsimons looks like a downgrade on Adam Collin. Watching matches with your eyes open and having an opinion does not make you less of a supporter, wanting your team to improve and be better issupporting the team imo.
    I wasn't playing the 'criticise and you're not a real supporter' card, I get to very few games now so if anything I'm the one who isn't a real fan.

It was more of a whimsical reflection on how supporting your team is more fun than picking fault with everything, not just the keeper but pretty much everything. The manager, the chairman, the new signings have all been called into question after a single match.

Yes there are better keepers than Fitz in professional football, but it's unlikely we'll sign one of them before the deadline so he's ours, he's trying to make his way in league football so let's give him a chance.

Also it's not as if we've plucked some lad from the Kop who's throwing them in left right and centre, he is a proper goalkeeper who did quite well last season and kept a clean sheet on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    The result wasn't 'bad' however the performance was. Colchester looked a decent side though, pacey and big/strong and we struggled to match them for long periods.
    Fair enough, I just don't see the need for all the doom and gloom after one game.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It's too early to say for certain whether Ross Fitzsimons can step up to be permanent No.1, but as I said on another thread I think there's a few fans building an early narrative that he's not good enough, based on pretty flimsy evidence.

In his first couple of games after replacing Adam Collin last season he looked nervous especially when coming for crosses, but after that he settled down really well, to the point where nobody was really panicking about when Collin would be fit again. In fact, if Fitz hadn't kicked an opposing forward up the backside and got suspended, he had a fair claim to keeping the shirt ahead of Collin even when he returned. Collin himself was only a sub for Carlisle on Saturday by the way.

In pre-season, Fitz made a couple of errors that have been seized upon by those wanting a direct replacement for Collin, and on Saturday he had one dodgy moment with a slow kick out, but he recovered that mistake and went on to keep a clean sheet, catching three or four good crosses/corners in the process.

Yes, I understand the doubts that he's relatively inexperienced and has only previously played non-league football, but fans needs to remember that the wages freed up by releasing Collin will have gone a fair way to allowing us to sign the likes of Dennis and Hemmings. What Fitzsimons needs is a bit of patience and backing from the fans, and if he settles into the role like he did last season and gains in confidence and experience, he could prove to be very good value. Give the lad a fair chance.
    100% agree, this wasn't being highlighted last season when he had bedded in and was actually playing pretty well. It's his first couple of games back, probably nervous too seeing he feels he's got to prove something to Nolan as he obviously got an absolute hammering off him for that sending off.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    100% agree, this wasn't being highlighted last season when he had bedded in and was actually playing pretty well. It's his first couple of games back, probably nervous too seeing he feels he's got to prove something to Nolan as he obviously got an absolute hammering off him for that sending off.
    his nerves won't improve if he reads the comments on here

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    his nerves won't improve if he reads the comments on here
    He'll be ok if he remembers that NCM is an echo chamber of negativity that reflects the opinion of the vocal minority not the silent majority.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast