+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playoffs- What nobody has mentioned yet

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    They are pro footballers and i'd expect them to have kept themselves fit its their job.

Yes they may gain match fitness but it can also work the other way with fatigue/injuries.

This is what we have and we have to take our chance.

The other two outcomes were far worse PPG & top 2 up or null & void with nobody going up.

We only have to win 2 games they need to win 3 i'd rather be in our shoes being honest.
    I watched Aston Villa and Sheff Utd and they were all fuxxxxd after an hour....and that’s prem players who have known for weeks that they will be re starting.
    Any team having to play fri then tue away from home will be buggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Agree with this.

Not sure the quick turnaround after playing one competitive match for the first time in 3 months is any advantage whatsoever. Perhaps mentally but certainly not physically.

Add the travelling scenario to this and you have to think that Notts have an advantage.
    Football teams are currently under the guise of essential workers so are allowed to stay over at hotels. Unfortunately, any team due to face us will have had a good night's rest!

I only know this due to a number of football clubs staying at my Mrs's hotel in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    At the time I posted yes, now I'm not so sure. I don't do twitter, so this is the first time I've seen this. Has this been confirmed?

Rumour has it that Chester in the NLN are going to pull out of the play offs due to not having the money to compete

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    There's a lot of talk about who we want to play etc. But nobody has mentioned the fact that whoever we play (Yeovil or Barnet) will have had a competitive match before we actually play them. Whoever wins that game will totally fancy their chances st a deserted Meadow Lane, with Notts having played a friendly or two.

Imagine the scenario...Barnet beat Yeovil, they have a win and match fitness under their belt. We're favourites, but haven't played a competitive game yet to get back in to the seing of things.

Plus the game is on TV.

Well, back to Dover we go next season then (sorry, I'm not usually this cynical but the odds stack up against us).
    We've got to be thankful that we have the opportunity to take part in the playoffs. It could have easily ended up with Harrogate getting automatically promoted which would have been a kick in the teeth and a bitter pill to swallow.

Let's go into the playoffs with renewed optimism and a positive mindset that we can do this. It's now in our hands and we can influence the outcome and affect our own destiny.

We've got a good quality squad, and will be able to rotate players to help prevent fatigue and injuries setting in. One thing that we will be when we go into our first game is fully fit and fresh.

If the team we play has to play us less than a week after their first game that's going to be tough for them as their bodies will have lost the muscle memory otherwise known as match fitness so will probably have more fatigue, niggles than usual.

We also have to remember we are playing competitive games in July so it could be a hot day and that will affect both sets of players if it's an afternoon kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    At the time I posted yes, now I'm not so sure. I don't do twitter, so this is the first time I've seen this. Has this been confirmed?
    I've just noticed that in the League 2 playoffs the rules are that each team can make a total of five subs at three separate points during the game.
    Maybe the National league will follow that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I've just noticed that in the League 2 playoffs the rules are that each team can make a total of five subs at three separate points during the game.
    Maybe the National league will follow that.
    I think that's the same as the premier League. I think it's not League specific but came from IFAB. I'd imagine national League will follow suit. Also think you're allowed 9 players on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by cjpieman View Post
    I watched Aston Villa and Sheff Utd and they were all fuxxxxd after an hour....and that’s prem players who have known for weeks that they will be re starting.
    Any team having to play fri then tue away from home will be buggered.
    Did you watch Man City? They were ok.

I mentioned before home (dis)advantage. Northampton last night went into the game very confident, missed an early penalty then lost 0 - 2. It really is a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Did you watch Man City? They were ok.

I mentioned before home (dis)advantage. Northampton last night went into the game very confident, missed an early penalty then lost 0 - 2. It really is a lottery.
    Cheltenham were favourites. They have now played 3 games this season with Cheltenham winning 2 and the other being a draw. It was a surprisingly entertaining game given all the circumstances. On another day Northampton could have won.
    With regards to advantage of home and away. I agree that the advantage has somewhat been tempered. However, it’s more to do with how the away teams are going about the games. Most are trying to win rather than contain and that would definitely suit Notts.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    . Most are trying to win rather than contain and that would definitely suit Notts.
    I hadn't thought about that. That does probably help Notts more than a two legged affair where the opposition might park the bus at Meadow lane.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast