+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eng v Ukr

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Ben White Arsenal having a good season,25 yrs old good age.
    He looks ok from what I've seen but my in law Gunners family say not good enough, at least not yet. And they're aware of Maguire's frailties!

Unfortunately I don’t get carried away with England,we have played two poor to average teams & yes you can only beat those in front of you BUT we have seen it all before.
    Fair enough lol but I've also followed England avidly all my life and seem to be surrounded by family and friends of like minded experience and age who feel that what we have seen over the last 10 years has been better than any other period in my lifetime. When has it been consistently better (since 1975 when I remember my first England match!)? I've watched so much dross in my life, I can't remember a better period over the period of a decade? When has been better?

My biggest gripe with Southgate is that he picks all these players & never gives some a chance.All the friendlies we have played & picks the same old.I think he’s too loyal to certain players.
    Last edited by Lolmorgan; 26-03-2023 at 08:04 PM.

My biggest gripe with Southgate is that he picks all these players & never gives some a chance.All the friendlies we have played & picks the same old.I think he’s too loyal to certain players.
    Again, I understand what you're saying but I remember when Southgate tried to freshen things up in the late summer, played Tomori from the start as well as some others in a more attacking formation, and we got walloped. These fringe players just didn't step up in those positions. Hope they do better in future

Unfortunately Southgate is unable to get his team to play well for most of the match.
    Today, Italy, France in Qatar, Croatia in Russia, Italy in the Euro,s . We played well for parts of the game but mediocre to poor in other parts of those games

vs the better teams we will always come out second best if we aren’t able to perform well for the whole game.
    Southgate has certainly improved us but I cannot see how we will ever win anything under his leadership unless he is able to address the problems I’ve mentioned above

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Unfortunately Southgate is unable to get his team to play well for most of the match.
    Today, Italy, France in Qatar, Croatia in Russia, Italy in the Euro,s . We played well for parts of the game but mediocre to poor in other parts of those games

vs the better teams we will always come out second best if we aren’t able to perform well for the whole game.
    Southgate has certainly improved us but I cannot see how we will ever win anything under his leadership unless he is able to address the problems I’ve mentioned above
    Which teams in the last few years have demonstrably and consistently played well throughout the games they are playing? Spain have consistently managed it but have fallen away in recent years. Italy clicked on the party euros and blew everyone away. Who else are doing better?

And that's just for the other world leading teams. If you look at England's own record, when have we ever done better over the course of a decade? When have we ever played consistently as well as we have done in the last 10 years and gone as far as we have done in major tournos? We've won nowt granted but in my life we never have not really come as close. Can we not just give credit for what we are doing? We prob won't get better again!

He’s winning games which is the overall objective

However, the games are always televised and often at peak times and the broadcasters end up with a bland product that they have to hype up.

Two wins for England but basically two “ formula football” performances. The odd highlight or two but overall two boring performances

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    He’s winning games which is the overall objective

However, the games are always televised and often at peak times and the broadcasters end up with a bland product that they have to hype up.

Two wins for England but basically two “ formula football” performances. The odd highlight or two but overall two boring performances
    Which international teams do you think do better than this on a consistent basis? Who are you pointing to as models of teams that part consistently scintillating football and win all their games in the way you seen to think we should be doing?

Two good results, if a little dull.
    There seemed to be a lot of Ukrainians of Military service age in the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    Two good results, if a little dull.
    There seemed to be a lot of Ukrainians of Military service age in the crowd.
    Sound suggested a lot of kids in the crowd

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast