+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Style not formation

I think our weakness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a better result. Switching to a plan where we consistently try to play it out from the back would simply be another form of weakness.

I'm no football tactician but surely the right thing to do is to mix it up so the opposition never quite know what is coming and can't set themselves predictably.

And if we are playing it out from the back having the keeper simply kick the ball 10 yards sideways to a defender to start things off will probably not work for very long. Playing out from the back with our reasonably speedy attack minded forwards might be a quick throw forwards into space so that the defender can run on to the ball and start making ground at speed. They seem to do that quite well further up the field...

But, again, not all time. The opposition will simply set up to intercept. Mix it up.

I want Johansson to be quick sometimes and the players to want the ball straight away but I don’t want us to start with the two players in box with the ‘to me to you’ scenario inviting pressure because we will cock up guaranteed and it bores me to death

He must have been told to slow game down, as more often than not he holds on to the ball before kicking it long.

Sometimes, there is chance to release the full backs but he changes his mind. Maybe he doesn't trust them not to get caught out, but then maybe its just more subtle time wasting. Pretend to play short then wave everyone up field where it is kicked to a sole striker marked by 2 defenders, where he either wins the header to no one, the defender wins the header, Hugill has a wrestle and wins a free kick or most likely gives one away.

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post
    He must have been told to slow game down, as more often than not he holds on to the ball before kicking it long.

Sometimes, there is chance to release the full backs but he changes his mind. Maybe he doesn't trust them not to get caught out, but then maybe its just more subtle time wasting. Pretend to play short then wave everyone up field where it is kicked to a sole striker marked by 2 defenders, where he either wins the header to no one, the defender wins the header, Hugill has a wrestle and wins a free kick or most likely gives one away.
    How I see it at many of our games

Hopefully MT,s best signing (his words) Dan Green will sort out these issues very soon starting with the approach to away fixtures tomorrow

It's more getting the formation right with the players you've got at your disposal. Style you play It's the same. Especially away from home more defensive but select players more able to take advantage of when you get forward. In the words of Paul Weller that's the headstart for better results. ' Headstart for happiness ' song.

I agree it should be mixed up, but we don't mix it up, we play the same way when the keeper has the ball. From MTs recent interview, he says that this group have had their chance and now he will mix it up a bit, well clearly Bramall has to be dropped or moved up the left wing, he has cost us too many goals already this season. We either give Hugil help or drop him, I quite like the 4-2-3-1 formation Forest play, the two wide players in the three cover the full backs or make 3 in attack, the other one of the 3 is a creative No10 player that makes an extra midfielder or striker. That also allows the keeper to play long or short through the full-backs and the 2 deep midfielders. Just ideas

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post

I don't think it's got anything to do with time wasting because Viktor tends to do much the same thing whether we're winning, losing or drawing.

Vs Norwich it was all Rosie and we're a top 10 team, Vs udders were a mess and relegation fodder.

Regards 433. Never liked it in this division we don't have a strong enough team to play this. I'm not talking about the individuals. We have plenty of good players just not a strong team.
    Regardless of who we have bought we are still one of the weakest teams in the league.
    Some say we can't play 442. I say we got our best results last season playing this way .
    Some say we need to pack the midfield. I say most of our goal conceded have come from out wide.
    Some say bramhall can't defend. I say he looked petty good last season with a LM Infront of him.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Vs Norwich it was all Rosie and we're a top 10 team, Vs udders were a mess and relegation fodder.

Regards 433. Never liked it in this division we don't have a strong enough team to play this. I'm not talking about the individuals. We have plenty of good players just not a strong team.
    Regardless of who we have bought we are still one of the weakest teams in the league.
    Some say we can't play 442. I say we got our best results last season playing this way .
    Some say we need to pack the midfield. I say most of our goal conceded have come from out wide.
    Some say bramhall can't defend. I say he looked petty good last season with a LM Infront of him.
    We've missed that poise on the ball from Fergie. Maybe Clucas will give us that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast