+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: January Window

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    This could be a long post because it's a subject I've found fascinating for years , even as a much younger man , bear with me .

As I understand it , Cryne analyses player performance data , this data is updated after every game the player plays in .

Don't get me wrong that's an incredible wealth of information to have and obviously is a very useful tool .

My point about this method has never been that it hasn't got its place my criticism of it is that as a club we see it as the be and end all .

We know this because all the old scouts were let go or at least 90% of them were .

My other problem with it is that the data given out is simply that , just data , there is no substitute what so ever for watching footballers play games of football in real time and over an acceptable length of time too .

One of the greatest assets a scout at a professional football club can have is instinct , it can't be taught , it also requires out of box thinking , such as seeing that a kid whose a striker would make a better central midfield player , Steve Agnew or a centre back would make a better striker , Dion Dublin , Chris Sutton .

The data never told us that Matty Pearson was a very good central defender because we bought him as a full back .

The data didn't tell us Ryan Hedges was way more affective on the right than he was on the left .

Or that Connor Chaplin is a way better player in the role he plays at Ipswich than the one he played here .

How come Victor scores goals regularly for Burton and Bolton but never looked liked scoring for us ?

How come we've had two opportunities , we've had the data , to not sign Amari Bell when he was available for absolutely nowt and is currently part of the Luton Town success story , he was 27 years old when they signed him is the clue or even Tom Lockyer who Luton signed on a free from Charlton Athletic , wait for it he was 27 years old at the time , both these lads are holding their own in the Premier League .

So the answer to your question is YN , we should be doing way much better than we do as a club who is always in the market for low cost players with talent that nobody else can see .

We don't do anything like enough of the work that's needed , we put up barriers with age restrictions and we haven't enough scouts to do the job properly because we don't think we need them .

The recruitment at this club is fundamentally flawed because of the time it takes to get our recruits up to speed and as a consequence we always take the step back .

My view in this post tells you it doesn't have to be this way and that's working within the same budget restrictions .
    Great post Animal.

Some excellent examples.

Head, nail, firmly hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Some good points - some I agree with.
    But those I don’t.

Only James Cryne knows how the algorithm thing works.
    No one else - not even the CEO.

I think people misjudge the new ownership or indeed any owners of football clubs.
    These are people that are not like most of the population in Barnsley.
    They have made it - they don’t need to scramble about for every dime to make ends meet.
    They look to contribute to society by either giving something back or in the case of football club owners jumping onboard something they have an interest in.

As a lot of people struggle all their lives I understand that it’s difficult for some to get their heads around - that they are not in it for themselves.

Some people on here like myself may contribute by doing charity type work - and not earned a penny from it.
    That’s what football club owners do - but on a much bigger scale.
    Apart from your last paragraph which I respect you for, I personally involve myself in a lot of fund raising for charities, it is a passion of mine although I suspect many contributors on this board also do the same but the rest of your post has got to be a big wind up , if you think that these lot have rocked up at Grove st to give something back to society then you also believe in the tooth fairy, of course they are in it for their own ends , they are business people , please Nudge show the rest of the contributors on this site a bit of respect & stop trying to take the p--s out of us all .

Some good points - some I agree with.
    But those I don’t.

Only James Cryne knows how the algorithm thing works.
    No one else - not even the CEO.

I think people misjudge the new ownership or indeed any owners of football clubs.
    These are people that are not like most of the population in Barnsley.
    They have made it - they don’t need to scramble about for every dime to make ends meet.
    They look to contribute to society by either giving something back or in the case of football club owners jumping onboard something they have an interest in.

As a lot of people struggle all their lives I understand that it’s difficult for some to get their heads around - that they are not in it for themselves.

Some people on here like myself may contribute by doing charity type work - and not earned a penny from it.
    That’s what football club owners do - but on a much bigger scale.
    It's a lovely romantic view that a group of American Hedge Funds and a wealthy member of an Indian family owning solvent factories came over attracted by the love of a Lower Second/ Upper Third Division football club in Northern England. The reality is a little different.

Lets look at JAQ. JAQ Julie Ann Quay is only here to look after what is left of the financial interests of her husband Matthew Edmonds Hedge Fund. Conway established a Special Aquisition Company on the New York Finance Market to pitch the prospect of profits that could be made from undervalued European football clubs through direct buy and sell of assets or through player trading. Four Hedge Funds piled in, owned by Zach Schreiber, Joshua Samuelson, Lee Pollock and Matthew Edmonds. Their identity was the general name of The Investor Group and they initially owned 20% of BFC. They made Conway their representative at BFC and left him to it. Who was "in control" of BFC at the time will form a large part of the ongoing EFL Investigation.
    It all went tits up, the profits didn't materialise, Conway was binned, the Hedge Funds sold up and only Matthew Edmonds Jamakepe Investments, represented by his wife JAQ remains.

The idea that she is here doing something similar to charity work is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Apart from your last paragraph which I respect you for, I personally involve myself in a lot of fund raising for charities, it is a passion of mine although I suspect many contributors on this board also do the same but the rest of your post has got to be a big wind up , if you think that these lot have rocked up at Grove st to give something back to society then you also believe in the tooth fairy, of course they are in it for their own ends , they are business people , please Nudge show the rest of the contributors on this site a bit of respect & stop trying to take the p--s out of us all .
    Like 👍

Jaq said a few times last week that this is a business, and thats why they run it like they do.
    That surely means then, that ambition and any possible success for the club on the pitch, means little or nothing to them.
    If we were steadily making profits from player sales each season, I think they wouldn't be too bothered if we were down in the Non League!. 😧
    Luton keep getting mentioned as an example of what can be done, sensibly and within their means, trying to build positively each season towards improving the team and promotion. And they do it without spending a stupid amount to put themselves into debt. All of these things mean nothing to this lot!.

The January window could signal what the directors think about Collins.
    If we get a couple of decent signings this could indicate that the board is willing to let him continue until the end of the season.
    If we get more outgoings then incomings then the writing is on the wall.

If we get a couple of decent signings this could indicate that the board is willing to let him continue until the end of the season.
    luv it

If the owners are going to get rid of Collins I'd expect it to be before the transfer window opens. My opinion at the moment is that Collins will be staying.

There is absolutely no reason to get rid of Collins, infact I am beginning to think he is a miracle worker given what he has had to work with , its the owners we want moving on .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    There is absolutely no reason to get rid of Collins, infact I am beginning to think he is a miracle worker given what he has had to work with , its the owners we want moving on .
    Too true

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast