+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 307 of 923 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357407807 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 9227

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Radio 4's More Or Less programme provided most of that info, the accuracy of which appears to stand up to subsequent scrutiny, in two one hour programmes just before the vote. Of especial enlightenment was their deconstructing of the £350m, notably not to zero but to a number about half the number slapped on the bus.

NB to clarify, in my love/hate relationship with the BBC, More Or Less is very much on the love side.
    Tbf Andy, I doubt that most of the electorate listen to Radio 4. If we had to go through this, imo ludicrous and divisive procedure, at all then people needed to be properly informed. They weren’t and those that delighted in taunting and threatening migrants in the immediate aftermath of the vote are as likely to listen to Radio 4 as they are to be familiar with Shakespeare’s sonnets.
    Do you honestly think the result of the referendum can be described as an ‘informed decision’ on the part of the British people? I would argue not which, again imo, makes the whole process utterly worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Tbf Andy, I doubt that most of the electorate listen to Radio 4. If we had to go through this, imo ludicrous and divisive procedure, at all then people needed to be properly informed. They weren’t and those that delighted in taunting and threatening migrants in the immediate aftermath of the vote are as likely to listen to Radio 4 as they are to be familiar with Shakespeare’s sonnets.
    Do you honestly think the result of the referendum can be described as an ‘informed decision’ on the part of the British people? I would argue not which, again imo, makes the whole process utterly worthless.
    I think I'm agreeing with you. Most don't listen to Radio 4, til the referendum was announced I didn't listen to it much, so it should have been the govt's job to get such factual information as existed at reasonable level of believability into the mainstream, instead of allowing the Punch and Judy show we got

However, if I knew then what I know now I would have voted leave, so I'm not helping really.

Radio 4's More Or Less programme provided most of that info, the accuracy of which appears to stand up to subsequent scrutiny, in two one hour programmes just before the vote. Of especial enlightenment was their deconstructing of the £350m, notably not to zero but to a number about half the number slapped on the bus.

NB to clarify, in my love/hate relationship with the BBC, More Or Less is very much on the love side.
    350 is the gross figure. Subtract the annual rebate Maggie negotiated. Then subtract the amount we get back from the EU in grants and subsidies. You are indeed left with around £180M a week. Still a substantial sum that COULD go to the NHS but probably won't.

Did they also deconstruct the 3 or 4 pence on income tax and the rise in vat and the immediate recession. None of which has actually happened at all, never mind 50%?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Did they also deconstruct the 3 or 4 pence on income tax and the rise in vat and the immediate recession. None of which has actually happened at all, never mind 50%?
    No they focus on stuff that has at least some sort of basis in fact, not the bitter ramblings of the man who expected to be crowned Prime Minister one day but ended up being nothing and thought he'd take it out on the British public.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    350 is the gross figure. Subtract the annual rebate Maggie negotiated. Then subtract the amount we get back from the EU in grants and subsidies. You are indeed left with around £180M a week. Still a substantial sum that COULD go to the NHS but probably won't.
    yes that was the number they arrived at, give or take a mill.

I think I'm agreeing with you. Most don't listen to Radio 4, til the referendum was announced I didn't listen to it much, so it should have been the govt's job to get such factual information as existed at reasonable level of believability into the mainstream, instead of allowing the Punch and Judy show we got

However, if I knew then what I know now I would have voted leave, so I'm not helping really.
    Not really a question of ‘helping’ AF and I’m sure your conclusion is at least as well informed as mine.
    The point you make about the government having a responsibility to ensure the public had access to as much factual information as possible is crucial though imo. They didn’t, it was a ‘Punch and Judy’ show and a majority didn’t vote conclusively...so wtf are we all playing at?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not really a question of ‘helping’ AF and I’m sure your conclusion is at least as well informed as mine.
    The point you make about the government having a responsibility to ensure the public had access to as much factual information as possible is crucial though imo. They didn’t, it was a ‘Punch and Judy’ show and a majority didn’t vote conclusively...so wtf are we all playing at?
    What we are all playing at is 'sucking it up and moving on'. I decided to do that with Brexit, and I'm the guy who STILL despises Jack Taylor for disallowing David Nish's goal in the '76 cup semi, so if I can move on maybe there's hope for you

What we are all playing at is 'sucking it up and moving on'. I decided to do that with Brexit, and I'm the guy who STILL despises Jack Taylor for disallowing David Nish's goal in the '76 cup semi, so if I can move on maybe there's hope for you
    Nowt you can do about 1976..still plenty to be said about Brexit.

No they focus on stuff that has at least some sort of basis in fact, not the bitter ramblings of the man who expected to be crowned Prime Minister one day but ended up being nothing and thought he'd take it out on the British public.
    Is that Osborne or Farage or both?

Incidentally, the one person who should have had all the facts, Cameron, has conceded that things haven't turned out as bad as he thought. If he couldn't judge it right, how could the rest of us?

Page 307 of 923 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357407807 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)