+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfers in and out Summer 2023

[QUOTE=Geoff Parkstone;40328118]Looks like the highlight of you day, Mac, will be thought of Swale and rA bonking

Enjoy.......

Even the dark glasses aren't helping, I might have to watch an evening of Cliff in concert!
    You know the principle of one uuuuurrrrrgggghhhhhh might mask another Uuuuuuurrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!

[QUOTE=macstheman;40328340]
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Looks like the highlight of you day, Mac, will be thought of Swale and rA bonking

Enjoy.......

Even the dark glasses aren't helping, I might have to watch an evening of Cliff in concert!
    You know the principle of one uuuuurrrrrgggghhhhhh might mask another Uuuuuuurrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!
    If it’s any consolation mac I share your discomfiture! That Sith is clearly a disturbed young man and the sound effect is just as applicable to our PP performance this afternoon.

Draw the line at Cliff though!

Trouble at'mill as the Barnsley boy is bound to ask?

I was doing OK until Geoff prodded me with the bonking word lol.
    I never went today so cant comment but it seems we were pretty limited all round. Imo I get the impression that Warne is erring towards 'playing safe' rather than trusting his instincts. It's as if he's almost frightened to make a mistake, perhaps the expectation at DCFC is an issue. There are signs that some fans are getting twitchy, a few bad results could present DC with a problem. As you know fans are fickle, last summer's horror show is long forgotten. We are now in the 'get results or.......' scenario! The silly season is back!

"Expectation" is something PW won't have experienced in this intensity before, I've heard him laugh it off in interviews and I'm not convinced he appreciates the levels he will be working under. A lot of managers successful at so called smaller clubs struggle to deal with it. it will be his biggest test for me to see how he handles it.
    That said, I trust his football brain, and think he will come through.

I thought it was a classic case of a good team fluffing their lines against a team with nothing to lose! Defensive and goalkeeping howlers gifted them two goals whereas apart from Fozzy our players were either unlucky or fluffed their chances.

I see nothing to worry about, Warne will have torn a strip off them for basically beating themselves, early doors and the team will be firing on all cylinders within a few games, be nice to get that striker in though.

I thought at times we played well. Hard work undone by mistakes which we need to get out the way.

Officials awful again, clear penalty early on when (i think Collins) was picked up and thrown to the floor in the penalty area at a corner which was missed.

For a game with very little in the way of stoppages 9 minutes at the end was ridiculous. The 2 bookings looked bizarre to me too.

Well be ok. Its a long season, although reading a lot of online comments elsewhere you'd think it was just a 1 game season with the reaction. Also listening to some n the crowd moaning about us not spending money, memories are short to think where we were not long ago and the fact we are still under heavy restrictions.

Think maybe the above two posts would be more suited to the ‘matchday thread’, but back on topic...everything apparently agreed for Waghorn, who was at PP yesterday, to rejoin on Monday despite late interest from Blackpool.
    Useful squad addition, imo...tough and tenacious but far from the natural finisher we’re still lacking. More to come according to the DT but they do seem to be pouring cold water on the prospect of Michael Smith being signed. Hope they’re wrong and RS is right.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 06-08-2023 at 09:07 AM.

One fan on FB this morning claiming we've signed Jordan Rhodes. Nothing elsewhere on it so it could be false.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Okay Swale...you want facts and an ‘appreciation of reality’.

For the third time...my reference to ‘dawdling’ was about the acquisition of points at the beginning of last season. We dropped points away to Shrewsbury, Fleetwood, Lincoln and at home to Exeter and Port Vale while surrendering a 2-0 lead to Plymouth. That was 14 points dropped before we got going at the end of October and went on a decent run until mid Feb. Then there were more dropped points at home to Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood and MKD...another nine there...and that, together with our inability to get the better of the points against any of the top sides other than Bolton, is why we fell short of the top six.

This time last year Rosenior and Clowes had, miraculously imo, managed to sign Roberts, Smith, McGoldrick, Hourihane, Mendez Laing, Wildsmith, Collins, Rooney, Barkhuizen, Dobbin and Chester. That, imo again, is a more impressive collection than we have managed this summer, with all but one making valuable contributions last season.

In the opening post of this thread you suggested we may need up to twelve new signings and that was before we lost McGoldrick and Knight. Even now you’re still anticipating another two or three. If that’s the case then how can the squad have had a full preseason?

It is self evidently true that Rosenior lost his job because the owner was disappointed with the results in the first ten matches. Why else would he have been replaced?

Obviously Derby failed to get to the playoffs due to the points lost THROUGHOUT the season but, as I’ve already shown, many of the more ‘winnable’ ones were lost between August and October.

Yes Derby should be able to afford a transfer fee for a striker. Not an outrageous one of course, but how else do you think we’re going to get Michael Smith if, as you suggest, we might? Nowhere have I said that Warne has failed in not doing it before now but yes, I am disappointed that our limited striking options still need addressing...it’s a glaring weakness magnified by the departure of McGoldrick a month or so ago.

Warne took over at Pride Park after less than a quarter of the season. He rightly takes much of the credit for the position we found ourselves in up until approximately the time of the West Ham and Wycombe games. Likewise he must take his share of the blame for the way we fell away and yes...when we needed to add some ‘steel’ in the January window he invested in a couple of kids who, imo, contributed little. To what extent he was ‘hamstrung’ by lack of finance I wouldn’t know.

You seem obsessed with the term ‘rookie’ in relation to Clowes’ position as owner and yet that is exactly what he was - an inexperienced newbie to the world of football club ownership - when he replaced Rosenior with Warne. I’m being entirely factual and not in any way disrespectful. To what extent that has ‘impacted’ on any of the above still remains to be seen. Hopefully time will prove that he (DC) made the right decision. At this precise moment I remain to be convinced and that, my friend, is an opinion I am entitled to despite your numerous attempts to discredit it.

You say "It is self evidently true that Rosenior lost his job because the owner was disappointed with the results in the first ten matches. Why else would he have been replaced?"

Because as was said at the time, "As was made clear in the summer, the board intended to take a period of time evaluating every aspect of the club and agree a strategy" The appointment of Warne fitted that strategy.

Warne's appointment was clearly planned and what's more reaching an agreement with Rotherham to be able to approach him, negotiate an offer and agree backroom staff etc would take time. So either your suggesting Clowes did all that and then waited to see how Rosenior got on, (unlikely) OR part of his plan post takeover was to irrespective of results, work out who was potentially available, which given he only appointed Rosenior as interim

At the time he was replaced Derby had played 9 league games with 14 pts and were 7th on GD, you seem to suggest that Clownes would have expected better than that? The guy doesn't strike me as being that unrealistic and there is zero evidence he removed Rosenior because he'd lost two games on the bounce.

You used the term "rookie" owner as a pejorative, its meaningless anyway, how many owners are seasoned football men? In any case whats required from the owner is to ensure the business side of the club is properly run and he is an experienced businessman, as long as he has experienced knowledgeable football people advising him and he takes that advice whats the issue?

The financial situation was quite clear, Derby could not pay a transfer fee or indeed significant loan fees or wages over a set level. So it was players on a free transfer (not many quality free transfers in January) or a loan that the club concerned did not want a high loan fee or wages paid in full. Didn't leave Warne with much room to manoeuvre, so your criticism is ill informed.

The striker issue has already been addressed, there aren't many around on a free and if they do pay a fee, it would ahve to be one worth it and available - Smith isn't my suggestion again, its a rumour though a strong one, a loan has been hinted at, but who knows we shall see.

You stated that a lack of preseason last season and poor results in August and September was why we missed out on the play offs you were quite sure about that, good to see your backing off from that as it doesn't hold true.

Also your assertion that many of the more winnable pts were lost between August and October doesn't stand up to scrutiny. One win or a couple of draws turned into wins in Feb Mar or April would have seen us comfortably in the play offs.

I'm not sure why you can't work out that we have had the majority of the squad do a full preseason and that it is normal for there to be additions of 2 or 3 players in August. Show me a club in Derbys position that has done all its business by the start of the season! by that I mean a club that is in season two of a total rebuild.

Of course this season is a test for Warne's credentials, he has assembled the squad, has worked with the ones he didn't bring in and has a budget that is better than at Rotherham. There can't be any excuses this season, other than a number of unfortunate injuries to contend with.

Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)