+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 35 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Is Brexit a dead duck?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    Perhaps we should send a few drones over to Paris and Berlin airports to make life a little uncomfortable there too.
    What on earth are you saying? We as a nation should send drones to disrupt neighbouring countries' air traffic? What planet are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Without EU freedom of movement there would not be a ****ing massive queue of foreigners waiting for the low paid jobs that us UK folk want/need.
    Whilst ever the company's have a long queue outside the workers stand no chance of forcing them to pay more.
    They're not queing for low paid jobs they're queing for higher paid jobs than in their own countries. For example Polands minimum wage is £502 euros a month (£454) Where as our minimum wage is £7.38 (£1200 per month on 40 hours) That's why they come to the UK so they can send a big chunk home. The minimum wage is going up in Europe and some are deciding to go back though. Putting it up to £10 and staying in the EU would be madness!

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    They're not queing for low paid jobs they're queing for higher paid jobs than in their own countries. For example Polands minimum wage is £502 euros a month (£454) Where as our minimum wage is £7.38 (£1200 per month on 40 hours) That's why they come to the UK so they can send a big chunk home. The minimum wage is going up in Europe and some are deciding to go back though. Putting it up to £10 and staying in the EU would be madness!
    I agree they are coming over to better themselves (who wouldn't) But it's at the cost of others. Is it any wonder you hear politicians say "Business leaders say Brexit will be catastrophic" Yeah it will but to who?

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    I agree they are coming over to better themselves (who wouldn't) But it's at the cost of others. Is it any wonder you hear politicians say "Business leaders say Brexit will be catastrophic" Yeah it will but to who?

Can't let this one go I'm afraid. The NHS are already having recruitment problems because of Brexit, and this is not unskilled jobs, its Doctors, Nurses and other highly skilled workers.

I'll tell you some of the reasons Brexit is bad for business:
    1) The impact on just one sector, Food - the EU is our biggest export market for British food products. Many food products need to be sold relatively close to the UK, e.g. fresh food. A lot of manufacturers are on very tight margins. At the moment an "export" to another EU country is virtually like selling in another part of the UK, with minimal checks at the borders. Under any form of Brexit that has us outside the single market there will be a lot more checks and paperwork. This adds significantly to both time and cost. Then there are the tariffs, world trade terms are a minimum of 2.5% and some foods may be much higher, this is an additional cost to the manufacturer. Many food businesses have low margins, and this could be all or most of their profit. This is without taking account of any possible disruption at ports.
    2) Uncertainty: its currently almost impossible to plan. For example, I currently use lots of suppliers in other EU countries. As this is services rather than goods, I'm not affected by any problems with customs after Brexit. However I currently don't know whether they will have to start charging me VAT in March, a 20% + (as rates vary) potential increase in cost. This could get worse if (as is likely) the Pound slides further against the Euro.

These are just a few examples. Brexit is a disaster for the UK economy. Leading industrialists backing it tend to be people with something to gain, like Dyson, who does most of his manufacturing outside the UK, and the EU, and will benefit if we have less tariffs.

Brexit is a construct of the Tory right, built on lies and undeliverable promises. Witness the £350m a week for the NHS - the same NHS which is struggling to get staff.

Incidently, the comments above about saving ourselves £37 billion with a no deal are not true either. Did anyone notice the Government committing an extra £2 Billion to no deal preparations yesterday, this is just preparations? Brexiters are strangely quiet about Brexit costs. There are also EU payments which are legally required. Obligations we have already committed to. Not paying is a bit like unilaterally deciding to not pay your mortgage, don't be surprised when the bailiffs arrive. If we just stopped paying it would trash the value of the pound overnight as we would suddenly become a massive credit risk.

Drop the dead Donkey !!

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMike View Post
    Can't let this one go I'm afraid. The NHS are already having recruitment problems because of Brexit, and this is not unskilled jobs, its Doctors, Nurses and other highly skilled workers.

1) The impact on just one sector, Food - the EU is our biggest export market for British food products. Many food products need to be sold relatively close to the UK, e.g. fresh food. A lot of manufacturers are on very tight margins. At the moment an "export" to another EU country is virtually like selling in another part of the UK, with minimal checks at the borders. Under any form of Brexit that has us outside the single market there will be a lot more checks and paperwork. This adds significantly to both time and cost. Then there are the tariffs, world trade terms are a minimum of 2.5% and some foods may be much higher, this is an additional cost to the manufacturer. Many food businesses have low margins, and this could be all or most of their profit. This is without taking account of any possible disruption at ports.
    2) Uncertainty: its currently almost impossible to plan. For example, I currently use lots of suppliers in other EU countries. As this is services rather than goods, I'm not affected by any problems with customs after Brexit. However I currently don't know whether they will have to start charging me VAT in March, a 20% + (as rates vary) potential increase in cost. This could get worse if (as is likely) the Pound slides further against the Euro.

These are just a few examples. Brexit is a disaster for the UK economy. Leading industrialists backing it tend to be people with something to gain, like Dyson, who does most of his manufacturing outside the UK, and the EU, and will benefit if we have less tariffs.

Brexit is a construct of the Tory right, built on lies and undeliverable promises. Witness the £350m a week for the NHS - the same NHS which is struggling to get staff.

Incidently, the comments above about saving ourselves £37 billion with a no deal are not true either. Did anyone notice the Government committing an extra £2 Billion to no deal preparations yesterday, this is just preparations? Brexiters are strangely quiet about Brexit costs. There are also EU payments which are legally required. Obligations we have already committed to. Not paying is a bit like unilaterally deciding to not pay your mortgage, don't be surprised when the bailiffs arrive. If we just stopped paying it would trash the value of the pound overnight as we would suddenly become a massive credit risk.
    Far too sensible.

Do people really think that Brexit will mean we build a massive wall around our Island so no immigrants can come in? Immigration will continue to happen and they will continue to contribute to the UK economy as well as services like the NHS. None EU immigration is still around double that of people from the EU. So what will change?

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMike View Post

Personally speaking any cost to break away from the failing EU and the undemocratic a holes running it is worth every single penny.

Bring on the no deal ASAP. The usual scare stories and the prophecy of doom tomorrow always give me a good laugh.

MagpieMike “ Uncertainty: its currently almost impossible to plan. For example, I currently use lots of suppliers in other EU countries. As this is services rather than goods, I'm not affected by any problems with customs after Brexit. However I currently don't know whether they will have to start charging me VAT in March, a 20% + (as rates vary) potential increase in cost. This could get worse if (as is likely) the Pound slides further against the Euro.”

Can I ask, what services do you purchase from the EU that can’t be purchased from within the UK and why? Genuinely interested.

Also, you can claim the vat back, assuming you are vat registered?

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Far too sensible.
    Leading industrialists backing Remoan tend to be people with something to gain.

Regarding your comment about Brexit' being a construct of the Tory right, built on lies etc. etc. The 'Brexit' vote happened and the majority voted to leave, despite Camoron (Tory right? Hahahaha) and Obama's Project Fear Mk1 failed miserably.

Page 35 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast