+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 354 of 923 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364404454854 ... LastLast
Results 3,531 to 3,540 of 9227

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

I agree with making voting compulsory 100%

I cant agree that we would be welcome back with open arms with a few more concessions on offer though. I see the exact opposite with opportunist Big Europe factions seeing us as weak and indecisive and trying to push through more pan Europisation. For all our sakes, should this eventuality happen, I hope you read it better than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I agree with making voting compulsory 100%

I cant agree that we would be welcome back with open arms with a few more concessions on offer though. I see the exact opposite with opportunist Big Europe factions seeing us as weak and indecisive and trying to push through more pan Europisation. For all our sakes, should this eventuality happen, I hope you read it better than I.
    Maybe we need a referendum to decide whether voting in referenda should be compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    isn’t it just possible that by ‘returning’, despite both sides having to eat some ‘humble pie’, we could just be in a position to both pick up the continued benefits and lead change within the EU rather than be destructively isolated from it?
    No. You've spent too much time listening to John Lennon's 'Imagine'.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    No. You've spent too much time listening to John Lennon's 'Imagine'.
    Not sure I get the reference. I’m not being idealistic about what’s happening and I have remained consistent.
    The Brexitears tell us that the EU is desperate for our contribution. It’s clear they don’t want us to leave so why the hell would they penalise us if there was another vote against leaving?

Not sure I get the reference. I’m not being idealistic about what’s happening and I have remained consistent.
    The Brexitears tell us that the EU is desperate for our contribution. It’s clear they don’t want us to leave so why the hell would they penalise us if there was another vote against leaving?
    I think if we tried to crawl back I think that they would see us as a pathetic weak Country RA that they could trample on, of course they'd want us back we're their backbone.
    The British public made their decision and it is now up to the politicians to try and get the best deal for it's peoplec before we leave!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    I think if we tried to crawl back I think that they would see us as a pathetic weak Country RA that they could trample on, of course they'd want us back we're their backbone.
    The British public made their decision and it is now up to the politicians to try and get the best deal for it's peoplec before we leave!
    So that’s what the Referendum achieved...we’ve gone from, in your words, being the ‘backbone’ of the EU to running the risk of being perceived as a ‘pathetic weak country’. Brilliant! What an achievement by, not the ‘British public’ but...well you know the percentage by now.

You are the forum ideallist but I was thinking more the dreamer bit - 'if' the referendum hadn't been called, 'if' the population had been better informed, 'if' the will of the people could be ignored, 'if' another referendum could be called - I voted as 'remain' as you did but unlike you, none of those have ever occurred to me as viable

And I now genuinely believe that 'they' (the EU institution) aren't bothered whether we leave or not, they just don't want to see our net contribution leave.

PS the above doesn't alter my opinion that 'we' (our govt) are making a right balls up of the whole think and that 'we' (our oppositions) are making an even bigger balls up of holding the govt to account.
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 28-07-2018 at 07:43 PM.

You are the forum ideallist but I was thinking more the dreamer bit - 'if' the referendum hadn't been called, 'if' the population had been better informed, 'if' the will of the people could be ignored, 'if' another referendum could be called - I voted as 'remain' as you did but unlike you, none of those have ever occurred to me as viable

And I now genuinely believe that 'they' (the EU institution) aren't bothered whether we leave or not, they just don't want to see our net contribution leave.

PS the above doesn't alter my opinion that 'we' (our govt) are making a right balls up of the whole think and that 'we' (our oppositions) are making an even bigger balls up of holding the govt to account.
    Surely, the biggest problem that the "opposition" has here is that they accept the vote to leave and any criticism of the Government will be on HOW rather than WHETHER. If seen to be blocking the Tories at every turn, Labour would collapse at the next general Election IMO.

Lol...you really have misinterpreted me and I’m really not...I’m actually much more of a glass half empty hard bitten realist which does me few favours.
    Maybe looking back forty or fifty years I was an idealistic dreamer but the responsibilities of work and parenthood, amongst other things, rapidly kicked all that out of me.
    The one thing I may have, along with many others including you, is an acute sense of right and wrong. Haven’t always lived up to it sadly, but it’s not about me and the ‘what ifs’ you refer to are, imo, observations that are entirely practical and objections that are completely objective.

I continue to question the following...
    1) The Referendum was originally introduced to settle a Tory Party squabble and remains a source of Tory infighting which has nothing to do with the national interest.
    2) The Brexit campaign was dominated by lies, misinformation and the breaking of electoral rules. Under such circumstances why should we follow the result which over 60% of the electorate have never voted for?
    3) The nation is becoming increasingly paralysed, in political, social and financial terms, as a result of the uncertainty that surrounds Brexit. There are more than enough business leaders, who certainly know more about such matters than me, who are increasingly opposed to Brexit. I’d rather listen to them than any number of half baked, hypocritical, back stabbing politicians whose prime motive is one of self interest.

Does that sound like idealism to you? I don’t think so but...unlike you it increasingly seems...I do know where I stand.
    As July slips into August...who will you be voting for this month?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 29-07-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Surely, the biggest problem that the "opposition" has here is that they accept the vote to leave and any criticism of the Government will be on HOW rather than WHETHER. If seen to be blocking the Tories at every turn, Labour would collapse at the next general Election IMO.
    yes agreed but I don't think they are doing that very well

Page 354 of 923 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364404454854 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)