+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 36 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T - general election 2019

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Like you say our infrastructure works.* However, we are a country in transition and need to aim higher.*

In term of education of course you and very many families get their kids through with great results. But, Ive read on this message board, our schools and unis churn out way too many kids with totally irrelevant qualifications. You've said yourself you're reluctant to employ graduates out of our uni system in your business.

As examples there are 40,000 nursing vacacies and not a chance in hell of filling them. James Dyson tells us there's a shortage of 100,000 engineers.

My question is whether the system produces enough kids with the right qualifications to cover the needs of a country which is making the transition from EU to global player. Brexit ensures we can no longer import workers to cover skills and labour shortages.

One attraction of Britain is English. Many companies relocating to gain access to EU markets chose here due to language. The pull of access to EU markets has been taken away.

Dyson has moved his business to Singapore.* More worrying is that he is in the process of moving the main research and development part of the business to Shanghai. All major new products will be developed in China and msnufsctured in the far east. This leaves Bristol as a minor outpost. Hope its not a metaphor for Britain

Every time we attempt to improve infructure there are objections. Third Heathrow runway, high speed rail, superfast broadband.

Johnson said yesterday Brexit will unlock our potential as country. We're now a global player competing on the world stage trying to attract global investment. The attraction for high tech companies is skills, workforce and infrastructure.
    Be anti Brexit if that is your opinion but "Brexit ensures we can no longer import workers to cover skills and labour shortages" [/quote] where do you get that assertion from?. ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Be anti Brexit if that is your opinion but "Brexit ensures we can no longer import workers to cover skills and labour shortages"
    where do you get that assertion from?. ffs[/QUOTE]

Brexiteers.

where do you get that assertion from?. ffs
    Brexiteers.[/QUOTE]

& that's your explanation is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Thats the problem though isnt it? you listen to the fairy tails economics of John Mac and friends and you get the full bag of shyte that comes with it.

...in a shell if you vote labour you get nationalisation of openreach which you supported!
    I didnt support nationalisation of Openreach. Supported upgrade to fast broadband.

To be honest I have a problem with Labour. In the last month I switched from not voting Labour to a week ago (I think on this thread) that I will vote Labour. Now, with this news, not sure again.

Brexiteers.
    & that's your explanation is it ?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

& that's your explanation is it ?
    Yes.[/QUOTE]

Well thankyou I'm sure it enlightens us all
    I assume from your brevity that you've no idea how to justify your own remark "Brexit ensures we can no longer import workers to cover skills and labour shortages."

Like you say our infrastructure works.* However, we are a country in transition and need to aim higher.*

In term of education of course you and very many families get their kids through with great results. But, Ive read on this message board, our schools and unis churn out way too many kids with totally irrelevant qualifications. You've said yourself you're reluctant to employ graduates out of our uni system in your business.

As examples there are 40,000 nursing vacacies and not a chance in hell of filling them. James Dyson tells us there's a shortage of 100,000 engineers.

My question is whether the system produces enough kids with the right qualifications to cover the needs of a country which is making the transition from EU to global player. Brexit ensures we can no longer import workers to cover skills and labour shortages.

One attraction of Britain is English. Many companies relocating to gain access to EU markets chose here due to language. The pull of access to EU markets has been taken away.

Dyson has moved his business to Singapore.* More worrying is that he is in the process of moving the main research and development part of the business to Shanghai. All major new products will be developed in China and msnufsctured in the far east. This leaves Bristol as a minor outpost. Hope its not a metaphor for Britain

Every time we attempt to improve infructure there are objections. Third Heathrow runway, high speed rail, superfast broadband.

Johnson said yesterday Brexit will unlock our potential as country. We're now a global player competing on the world stage trying to attract global investment. The attraction for high tech companies is skills, workforce and infrastructure.
    Wanchai

The main reason where we are today as a country can be traced back to 40 years of neoliberalism and more specifically to the financial collapse over a decade ago in my opinion .

To my mind the lack of regulation and trust in free market economics are where the problems exist .

It's not altogether totally necessary have a nationalisation programme in order to control it again in my opinion .

I get the sentiment that the tax payer owns the business but the cost of this seems to me to be very expensive with money possibly better spent in many many other areas .

Robust regulation is where I am today and severe penalties for those who operate outside of it , there seems very little consequences for the CEO's and their minions who fail their employee's , customers , the UK taxpayer and the government who are left to pick the pieces up from their carnage .

Outside of the EU gives you the opportunity to regulate robustly without getting your hands dirty so to speak .

What I want to see if governments want to borrow money is a massive building programme of affordable social housing that we saw in the 1950's from both Labour and Conservative governments , I'm not against after a numbers of years the opportunity to purchase your home just as long as stocks are replenished that satisfy the demand .

The boost to the economy is obvious , people keep more of their money rather than have to commit to extortionate rents to rogue landlords , the construction industry needs workers , skills , training not to mention materials from suppliers .

We also need to see the NHS become a place where young , bright young people want to work , train for , aspire and that requires investment to make it the world class health provider it potentially should be .

These are my two starting points that are socially popular with the electorate and a real need , need being the operative word .

We don't have to spend billions of pounds claiming back ownership of former industries when we can simply regulate and act as judge and jury on their performance .

Affordable social housing and the NHS are the acceptable face of socially progressive policies .

Yes.
    I assume from your brevity that you've no idea how to justify your own remark "Brexit ensures we can no longer import workers to cover skills and labour shortages."[/QUOTE]

Appreciated. Are we all good now?

I assume from your brevity that you've no idea how to justify your own remark "Brexit ensures we can no longer import workers to cover skills and labour shortages."
    Appreciated. Are we all good now?[/QUOTE]

No
    Just proves my point

Animal - I agree with much of what you say.

However, Brexit for 2 of the main players, Johnson and Farage, is all about broadening globalisation.

I will question you on this too: "Outside of the EU gives you the opportunity to regulate robustly without getting your hands dirty so to speak ." This is at odds with what we were told that Brexit should free us of red tape; taking off the shackles will allow us to trade competitively on the world stage.

Page 36 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast