+ Visit Swindon Town FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Aid farce......

re: Foreign Aid farce......

Quote Originally Posted by AfghanRam
    You support is touching!!!!

My point was to highlight cost creep, as an accountant you will be expected to challange and resist all costs.

I save around £150k a year as an P&FM just by challenging and shopping around, thats the private sector as you well know -maximising profit and minimizing loss.

Tax payers money is not treated with the same respect, you could half the countries running costs with the right people in the right roles.
    What is an P&FM ? Also with the crazy economic system we use, wouldn't cutting the running costs of the country also reduce purchasing power, cut demand and lead to a recession. Eg:- Paying Police overtime in a disturbance increases purchasing power, which is then spent in the shops etc and benefits the economy.

Property & Facilities Manager

Quote Originally Posted by AfghanRam

My point was to highlight cost creep, as an accountant you will be expected to challange and resist all costs.

I save around £150k a year as an P&FM just by challenging and shopping around, thats the private sector as you well know -maximising profit and minimizing loss.

Tax payers money is not treated with the same respect, you could half the countries running costs with the right people in the right roles.
    Whats a P&FM?

Oh wait, just seen your answer to same question. this explains the "caretaker" jibes beloved by certain moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Arundelred

What is an P&FM ? Also with the crazy economic system we use, wouldn't cutting the running costs of the country also reduce purchasing power, cut demand and lead to a recession. Eg:- Paying Police overtime in a disturbance increases purchasing power, which is then spent in the shops etc and benefits the economy. [/quote]

Not really Arundel, it depends on the savings multiplier. Merely having more money does not mean spending more money,

Okay, leaving the 'blind prejudice' element aside and taking into account that Roger has reintroduced reason into the thread.
    My point was that it represents a tiny fraction of the money we spend. In my original post I didn't dispute that some will be mis-spent as it is by all government departments, but this money generally does much more good than harm and is largely money well spent. I view it as a little like the individual giving to charity, just because we experience something approaching 'hard times' does that mean we immediately cancel any charitable direct debits? I would hope not.
    What interests me though is, and I'm not being picky, I genuinely don't know...Roger, are you actually sure that the 'net outflow to the EU' only equates to '0.5%' of our spending? I would have thought that in instances such as this, percentage details tell us far more than actual million/billion pound figures and if you're right, wtf are we getting all worked up about and having a ridiculous ref

My data is only as good as its source

if £ 13bn is around 0.7%, then £ 8.5bn is around 0.5%

total public spending 2015 is around £ 750bn so I do not quite understand where the £13bn = 0.7% comes from, but my EU = £8.5bn = 0,5% is pro rata your estimate for overseas aid!

The figures look more like:

Foreign Aid - 1,50% (13bn) to 1,55% (16bn)
    EU Budget - 1.13% (8,5bn) net, 1.50% (13bn) gross

Incidentally the oft quoted £ 55 million a day to be in the EU equates to £ 20 billion a year which is gross (ie before net inflows) and before the £5 billion rebate that we get. It also includes an additional £ 2 billion in indirect non governmental costs. Even so this figure (albeit a very wrong figure to cite, but obviously spun for effect) is only 2,67% of our annual budget. Even if we accept the extra indirect costs, that makes it £ 10.5 billion a year net or 1.4% of our annual budget.

So no, whatever figure you use, its not a lot as a %age, BUT the IN/OUT debate is so

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet

What is an P&FM ? Also with the crazy economic system we use, wouldn't cutting the running costs of the country also reduce purchasing power, cut demand and lead to a recession. Eg:- Paying Police overtime in a disturbance increases purchasing power, which is then spent in the shops etc and benefits the economy. [/quote]

Not really Arundel, it depends on the savings multiplier. Merely having

I fear nothing will prevent the erosion of scarce resources, hence the oil wars which have been going on for 25 years now. Scarcity induced price rises will not check demand for a wasting asset. In the mid 1800's the Mill model may have worked, but in the 2000's it is no longer possible to manage ones essential resources by mere economics. It will be managed by warfare which ironically wastes even more of it.

We must have the most intelligent posters on the Footymad network? Believe it or not I am also a qualified accountant.

Quote Originally Posted by lazaat
    We must have the most intelligent posters on the Footymad network? Believe it or not I am also a qualified accountant.
    And you were about to shoot us.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast