+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Academy news in conjunction with Premier League

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Who sacks them if they prove to be useless, do we keep them regardless.
    How do we retain them if they are good once the deal finishes?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    It's literally discrimination. Nothing positive about it. If you're a white male, you cannot get the job, regardless of how hard you've worked to gain the necessary skills and experience. I get that this is done with good intentions, but the best candidate should always get the job, regardless of their ethnicity or gender. Football is a results-driven business.
    To be fair, the way this bonkers world is you could apply and say you identify as a woman, job done, also as someone with no coaching qualifications you could apply and say 'un-qualified' coaches are under represented. It's just a sad representation of the world now that people think they should be entitled to a job for not putting the graft or experience in, there are plenty of ethnic, female role models out there who have overcome barriers without a leg up.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...acancy-070524/

Notts have just posted an article where they are happy to announce they are going to be discriminating against candidates based on race and ***. This sort of racism should not be in our club, it should be illegal.

Just out of interest, would the OP have reacted so negatively if the role were being targeted for applicants solely from areas that are economically disadvantaged i.e. from 'working class' applicants? Would you have been equally appalled that the rich or middle class were being excluded and that someone disadvantaged was being given an opportunity? Or perhaps if the role were just available to a scheme to help veterans get a foothold in football. Just wondering if you are against all positive support or just, er, 'some of it'?

[Threads merged - SwalePie]

Quote Originally Posted by probertneedhamstubbs View Post
    Just out of interest, would the OP have reacted so negatively if the role were being targeted for applicants solely from areas that are economically disadvantaged i.e. from 'working class' applicants? Would you have been equally appalled that the rich or middle class were being excluded and that someone disadvantaged was being given an opportunity? Or perhaps if the role were just available to a scheme to help veterans get a foothold in football. Just wondering if you are against all positive support or just, er, 'some of it'?
    I think class division is much more real than systemic racism/***ism. It's extremely difficult for kids these days from poor or working-class families to get ahead educationally and financially, regardless of their gender or ethnicity. In terms of systemic racism/***ism, the battle for equal rights was won long ago. When it comes to social mobility, it's probably worse now than it was in the past.

Would those that are Ok with this be OK if the position was reversed and POC and women were excluded.

If those that are not OK with it just sit back and accept it then nothing will change, if you look into the article on the site there is an email address, email it stating why you think it is unacceptable. These actions only happen because the people doing it never get taken to task over it

Would those that are Ok with this be OK if the position was reversed and POC and women were excluded.

If those that are not OK with it just sit back and accept it then nothing will change, if you look into the article on the site there is an email address, email it stating why you think it is unacceptable. These actions only happen because the people doing it never get taken to task over it
    I'm reasonably confident that the FA, PL, EFL and Notts legal teams have ensured this 'Positive Action' has complied with the legislation to ensure it's not 'Positive discrimination'.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ositive-action

Or you could get yourself a life, and stop whining about something that’s got fa to do with you.

Quote Originally Posted by probertneedhamstubbs View Post
    To make it clear the OP referred to is the OP of the merged "Racism at Notts County" thread. I started this thread because I was hoping to understand whether folk thought the initiative was likely to have any positive benefit for the club. The club seems to think so as they appear proud of the fact.

I find some of the tones in this merged thread quite disturbing. I'm not sure if I'm classed as a "white privileged" person; many might perceive my being one such but a bit further enquiry will reveal a background of working class parents, shifts (Dad) and factory (foreign Mum) work whose extended UK family seem to think I'm aloof (not I'm not) because I was the first of a rather large family to make it to University. But I was not alone, I was not very much in a minority and the "sausage" machine, together with an ambitious mother who wanted better for her son, churned me out and into a good job.

Not all people have that easy a ride. Black people (I was olive) were few and far between when I was at school, in fact I didn't encounter a black person until university. Single parent families were a rarity, and carried a stigma. There must be lots of untapped talent that just needs a break in all works of life who don't even think they are worth it. Many women underacheive because they have no self belief and no role model at home.

I find it disappointing to hear the fear and cry "unfair", "foul" in this thread. LincsPie's https://boards.footymad.net/showthre...5#post40501785 with the link to the offical government guidance on the issue covers the the issue in depth and for me is summarised in its

" 5. What is the difference between positive action and positive discrimination?

Positive action is not positive discrimination. Positive discrimination is unlawful in Great Britain"

I trust the club to be doing the right thing for the right reasons and with an eye of gaining some benefit out of the scheme.

Any boys and gals feeling put down by some of the comments here - rise above it and for those being negative, why should I even have to make that statement!

And yes, there will be many non-minority white male folk who also need a break, but I don't believe they face the same discriminatory issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    To make it clear the OP referred to is the OP of the merged "Racism at Notts County" thread. I started this thread because I was hoping to understand whether folk thought the initiative was likely to have any positive benefit for the club. The club seems to think so as they appear proud of the fact.

I find some of the tones in this merged thread quite disturbing. I'm not sure if I'm classed as a "white privileged" person; many might perceive my being one such but a bit further enquiry will reveal a background of working class parents, shifts (Dad) and factory (foreign Mum) work whose extended UK family seem to think I'm aloof (not I'm not) because I was the first of a rather large family to make it to University. But I was not alone, I was not very much in a minority and the "sausage" machine, together with an ambitious mother who wanted better for her son, churned me out and into a good job.

Not all people have that easy a ride. Black people (I was olive) were few and far between when I was at school, in fact I didn't encounter a black person until university. Single parent families were a rarity, and carried a stigma. There must be lots of untapped talent that just needs a break in all works of life who don't even think they are worth it. Many women underacheive because they have no self belief and no role model at home.

I find it disappointing to hear the fear and cry "unfair", "foul" in this thread. LincsPie's https://boards.footymad.net/showthre...5#post40501785 with the link to the offical government guidance on the issue covers the the issue in depth and for me is summarised in its

" 5. What is the difference between positive action and positive discrimination?

Positive action is not positive discrimination. Positive discrimination is unlawful in Great Britain"

I trust the club to be doing the right thing for the right reasons and with an eye of gaining some benefit out of the scheme.

Any boys and gals feeling put down by some of the comments here - rise above it and for those being negative, why should I even have to make that statement!

And yes, there will be many non-minority white male folk who also need a break, but I don't believe they face the same discriminatory issues.
    Excellent post. Ultimately the club is taking advantage of the ability to employ an additional member of staff ( who will be coaching 13/14 year olds) at zero cost on a fixed term contract ( if you read the details). That member of staff at direction of the program sponsor ( The Premier League) needs to be from an under represented race or whatever you want to call it. I just don't see what the big issue is. I mean the alternative is that nobody gets employed as far as I can see as the program will not exist. I would imagine there will be a ton of applicants for this role and we will be spoilt for choice. I think it is great we are building links with the premier league and getting a free probably talented member of staff. But then I didn't come from much I can tell you now and I've had to graft for everything I have which is now not inconsiderable but it wasn't always like that. I do count myself as a priviledged white man.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast