+ Visit Scotland Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any views on the FIFA poppy ban for the England-Scotland game

Quote Originally Posted by Rangersmandownunder View Post
    Why ask him to confirm, why not just provide the evidence you have that Rangers refused to contribute to the appeal this year.

Anytime yer ready.

If you're happy to hide behind my lack of oversight of the Poppy Appeal accounts then fill yer boots. Fact remains that I read it on twitter the other day from a couple of guys. It said that Partick contributed 2K, the tims 10K, and the huns gave hee haw. Tell us what you've heard on the topic.

Anytime yer ready :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AguyIknow View Post
    If you're happy to hide behind my lack of oversight of the Poppy Appeal accounts then fill yer boots. Fact remains that I read it on twitter the other day from a couple of guys. It said that Partick contributed 2K, the tims 10K, and the huns gave hee haw. Tell us what you've heard on the topic.

Anytime yer ready :-)
    So you have absolutely no evidence that Rangers refused to contribute to the charity, absolutely none.

Every year we hear the same shyte from the same @rsholes about Rangers not giving anything to this appeal, why folk like you continue to peddle these stupid backward lies is incomprehensible.

Go and look on the charity's website furfuxake........

Poppyscotland is delighted to have been appointed as an official partner of the Rangers Charity Foundation for the 2016/17 season. For many years Scottish Poppy Appeal collectors have received a warm reception at Ibrox each November. While these important collections will continue, today’s announcement guarantees an additional £5000 of funding in the coming year, money which has been earmarked for Poppyscotland’s ***** Employ-Able initiative.

http://www.poppyscotland.org.uk/rang...oy-able-boost/

Poppyscotland Chief Executive Mark Bibbey said: “We are extremely grateful to everyone at Rangers Football Club for their continued support of the Scottish Poppy Appeal, which means that members of the Armed Forces community can continue to receive the ***** services that they rely on.”

Or look oan the Rangers charity twitter account..............https://twitter.com/RFC_Charity?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

One can only conclude that you are a lying basturt.

I see rangers not contributing to the poppy appeal as a positive.

Well done !

Last edited by 52N4E; 03-11-2016 at 09:57 AM.

The military were correct, the army personnel who were cheered by the Rangers support were not the ones who the remembrance was for and as such the event is now carried out in the manner expected. We can salute our army personnel at events at other times of the year, such as the offer of free tickets to them.

Times change and we now see football grounds as places where many remembrance events are held for folk that have died, the poppy is not a political symbol, never has been and never will be, it is the haters who are trying to turn it into one, ,,,if you don't agree with it so be it..
    Was reluctant to post on this thread as every year it turns into an emotional slanging match. I myself like a lot on this board lost family in both WW1/2 But its now my opinion the poppy has been sadly hijacked and turneed into a symbol of nationalistic glorification of the military. They are even painting the poppy onto War planes FFS ! whats that suppose to be mourn while you bomb !! I do wear a poppy in remembrance of my Uncles but the whole poppy thing has changed The Poppy now symbolises the warmongering Elite’s lust for battle, not a commemoration of the wasted lives. Its a disgrace they have been allowed to do this

The private sombre reflection of Remembrance Day and the poppy certainly is not what it was and the change has come about only in the past decade or so. Quiet reflection has been replaced by a brasher, antagonism not only to wear a poppy but for others to do so and a viewpoint that it's right to wear one, and implicitly wrong not to (as can be seen when TV guests or football players forget or chose not to and are criticised in true politically correct form as not 'doing the right thing' and of not being respectful (no matter what sombre reflection they may partake in private). Like tattoos, the poppy has become a lazy statement of self imagery as the sombre reflection of the war dead is replaced by gaudy displays from football fans and individuals posting images on social media/forums to show off how respectful’ they are. You can even get glittery, gold and sparkly ones if the plain one doesn’t speak your quiet brand of reflection loudly enough.

There is also sadly an in increased jingoism associated with the poppy and a link to “justify our folly in Iraq, our morally dubious war on terror “ (the words of Harry Leslie Smith, RAF WW2 veteran). Perhaps it’s no surprise that the last decade, as well as the change in meaning of the poppy, has seen the rise in British Nationalism and the likes of UKIP.

Whatever the poppy used to be it certainly isn’t any more and the fact a growing controversy surrounds it year on year clearly emphasises this - whether it’s a football player, football fans or football teams - and away from football, journalists, veterans and MPs offer their polarised views - there is a divisiveness surrounding the poppy and there is no question it has become political.

As for the England Scotland match, a minute’s silence for a moment of quiet reflection would be far more fitting to the true meaning of the poppy than a defiant poppy armband emblazoned on football players’ shirts as they rush around for 90 minutes playing a game of fitba.

If the players want a poppy on their shirt they should be allowed to have one.

Both the SFA and EFA are going to defy FIFA anyway and let the players wear the poppy with pride. Good on them I say

The hun vermin have always used the poppy and Rememberance to have a go at the tims, nothing else. Utter scum.

I find it abhorrent that those who claim to oppose wars refuse to accept that, instead choosing to side with those whose political agenda is vehemently anti-British and use remembrance as an excuse to launch another political attack.
    said without even a hint of irony

Two good posts by Cambusman and Stewarty

A handful of army personnel walk on to the pitch with a large poppy, place it in the center circle and stand for one minute to remember the fallen, a gun marks the start and end of the minutes silence. Only the more hateful within our society will see any offence in that.

Attachment 2063

Your wrong Jack, as much as you want it to be it is not and never has been a political statement, Rangers fans do get upset when your fans tarnish the memories of the fallen and try to portray the poppy as I've never considered it political, it's always been a symbol of remembrance of all those killed in wars and a way of providing charitable support to the forces victims of wars. It's never (to my mind) been a political statement of support for war.

It is not a political protest or a support for war, it is symbol of our nations respect and grief for those who lost their lives in events where politics and politicians failed.

I find it abhorrent that those who claim to oppose wars refuse to accept that, instead choosing to side with those whose political agenda is vehemently anti-British and use remembrance as an excuse to launch another political attack.

If FIFA really want to remove politics, why not ban national flags and national anthems as these are absolutely 'political' by nature. In fact, fold and ban Internationals altogether, which is competitive sport between geographical political entities.

Or maybe even stop awarding the finals for political and financial reasons...allegedly.

Looks like the Scottish and English teams are to defy FIFA and wear the poppy, good on them I say.
    There is no offence - just disgust at this jingoistic pish and the revisionism that sees this foul little newco is some sort of guardian of our armed forces, when most of them and their supporters hide under the bed when the Queen comes waving her shilling...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)