+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cal Roberts

The lad tried hard here, so shouldn't be derided. Sounds like this is a career limiting weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Not sure his 'off the ball' work was anywhere near what LW expects.
    Why try to pigeon hole him into something that he wasn't signed for. A fit Cal I would have any day over Nemane.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Why try to pigeon hole him into something that he wasn't signed for. A fit Cal I would have any day over Nemane.
    I wasn't. I simply suggested his workrate off the ball probably wouldn't have pleased the gaffer, and comes up short compared to our current first XI. Saying that LW could easily have worked on that.

You would take him over Nemane at RWB? I wouldn't!!! But I would take him over Nemane as an out and out winger in a different system.

As mentioned by a few good signing, good sale, good transfer profit.

I don’t understand any of the animosity towards a young player that was excellent for us. Nor do I understand the opinion that all he did was cut inside and was found out by opponents.
    He finished last season on fire and tearing players apart.
    Injuries are another matter but I think he would have done absolutely fine in this team. He looked very sharp in preseason.
    Every player that was here last season works harder under LW. I don’t see why Cal would have been any different.

I think excellent is going a tad far tbh, excellent in a couple of spells without a doubt and clearly a top player at this level when fit.

He favoured cutting inside without a doubt but agree with KTD he was far more than that and was a pleasure to watch when on the ball.

He is bound to have worked harder under LW, let's get honest he would have no choice or he would have been out of here. He moaned too much and didn't much enough effort in when the opposition had the ball but a great signing by #radar, a very good player for us, and a good piece of business selling him for a profit.

Probably was a bit harsh of me to say glad we got rid but I am certainly glad we sold him and spent the cash very wisely indeed. Good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Probably was a bit harsh of me to say glad we got rid but I am certainly glad we sold him and spent the cash very wisely indeed. Good to see.
    I’m not sure where this opinion about using the money to buy players has come from. All the players we paid for were bought BEFORE Cal was sold. At the time the club wanted to keep him, but Cal was the one who asked to fulfil what he considered a good move.
    As far as I am concerned the Cal money has yet to be spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I’m not sure where this opinion about using the money to buy players has come from. All the players we paid for were bought BEFORE Cal was sold. At the time the club wanted to keep him, but Cal was the one who asked to fulfil what he considered a good move.
    As far as I am concerned the Cal money has yet to be spent.
    Correct, another thing people are forgetting is we got a very healthy compensation fee for Burchnall. Langstaff cost 50k and i can't imagine Scott was more than 100k+ the Roberts money is still there if needed no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Imagine Cal at RWB haha.

We'd just be leaving one side of the pitch open to attack

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I think excellent is going a tad far tbh, excellent in a couple of spells without a doubt and clearly a top player at this level when fit.

He favoured cutting inside without a doubt but agree with KTD he was far more than that and was a pleasure to watch when on the ball.

He is bound to have worked harder under LW, let's get honest he would have no choice or he would have been out of here. He moaned too much and didn't much enough effort in when the opposition had the ball but a great signing by #radar, a very good player for us, and a good piece of business selling him for a profit.
    Important to know when the right time to release a player and Notts got this spot on with Cal

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast