+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Reading v Derby

Have we been put in detention??

Offensive? No. Tetchy? No. Fed up of people failing to understand the English language and then getting uppity when it gets pointed out? Hell yeah.

Formations? The translation in this article leaves a lot to be desired but van Gaal and Dutch coaches in general start their formations with a 1

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/you-and-s...ost-and-found/

Don't bother replying as it won't get read.

Apparently the goalie doesn't count MA, mind you Shilts came in handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Apparently the goalie doesn't count MA, mind you Shilts came in handy!!
    Although, to reopen another debate, it has to be questionable whether he’d have made it in the modern game let alone achieved what he did for England. His kicking was shocking even in comparison to any of our recent ‘keepers and in a game where the keeper really does have to be able to play with his feet a bit I doubt Shilts would have even won an England cap these days.

Moving on...I gather from a couple of PM’s this morning that, after Swale’s tantrum last night, MA is seriously considering not bothering with the forum anymore. Like me he’s all for healthy and robust debate/banter and, imo, folk like MA are the lifeblood of a forum such as this, but when ‘healthy and robust’ gets mistaken for personal and offensive and ‘banter’ for abuse...well let’s just say that’s not what he (or I) signed up for.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Although, to reopen another debate, it has to be questionable whether he’d have made it in the modern game let alone achieved what he did for England. His kicking was shocking even in comparison to any of our recent ‘keepers and in a game where the keeper really does have to be able to play with his feet a bit I doubt Shilts would have even won an England cap these days.

Moving on...I gather from a couple of PM’s this morning that, after Swale’s tantrum last night, MA is seriously considering not bothering with the forum anymore. Like me he’s all for healthy and robust debate/banter and, imo, folk like MA are the lifeblood of a forum such as this, but when ‘healthy and robust’ gets mistaken for personal and offensive and ‘banter’ for abuse...well let’s just say that’s not what he (or I) signed up for.
    I Hope not on all counts, even Swales’. Tempers have got frayed before and it’s all calmed down, if there’s any moderator ‘urging’ to be done I urge you all to take the more personal of comments in your stride, insults are so often a reflection of the insulter not the insulted

Closet Racist AF

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Insults are so often a reflection of the insulter not the insulted

Closet Racist AF
    Indeed...still trying to work out who should be most offended...the ‘closet racist’, the ‘arsehole’, the ‘weak pathetic little man’ or all the ‘tetchy’ rest who are obviously no fun.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 26-01-2024 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It's a good debate! I always think that the best players adapt to the climate they play in, I think Shilts could still be very successful in today's game. Looking at the quality of some of the premier league keepers, I don't see why he wouldn't still be a top keeper. Whether he'd be playing for a Man City or Liverpool is questionable, but he'd be better than current options at Man U!

Hard to say with keepers, no doubt had he been in the game today his coaching would have been different.

I honestly don't remember his distribution being that bad but to be fair when he played for us I probably spent as much time chatting to a girl I fancied as I did watching the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    It's a good debate! I always think that the best players adapt to the climate they play in, I think Shilts could still be very successful in today's game. Looking at the quality of some of the premier league keepers, I don't see why he wouldn't still be a top keeper. Whether he'd be playing for a Man City or Liverpool is questionable, but he'd be better than current options at Man U!
    Man U have had some shockers over the years - was it Paddy Roache who was Derbys secret weapon in our second championship year - maybe not. Being steeped in the past I long for the return of the good old days when all English keepers were ‘good’ and all Scottish keepers were ‘rubbish’. I thought Siltons was excellent for Derby apart from saving pens but will always rate Colin Boulton as our best

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Hard to say with keepers, no doubt had he been in the game today his coaching would have been different.

I honestly don't remember his distribution being that bad but to be fair when he played for us I probably spent as much time chatting to a girl I fancied as I did watching the match.
    Blimey Sith...he played for us 175 times...that’s a long chat up!

He was little - (6’0’’) - compared with today’s keepers...and I doubt he could have performed the ‘sweeper/keeper’ role that has become so popular in the last few years. Great in his day, but I think football has probably changed for keepers more than any other position - along with ‘ball winning’ midfielders - in recent years.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)