+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Charlton Athletic Post Match Thoughts

If,by the skin of our teeth, (and without Towell and Mattock,possibly for the rest of the season,i can't see where any win will come from) we make the play-offs everyone will want to play Rotherham !

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Think peterboro are the one team we could beat in the play offs if we got there. The others are now looking pretty scary. Think we could beat them or Shrews/ Scunny over 2 legs but I would doubt we could beat Charlton, Plymouth or Portsmouth
    If Warney tries to incorporate three wingers into the team again, we probably won't beat anybody. Also - might have been an opportunity to try out Wiles as a sub today for Palmer, who was very ineffective.

Mates agreed about Palmer, Mike. Along with Newell (again) and one or two others he vanished from the game. Typical of his appearances for Burton we were told when he signed. Maybe he's something of a "homer" (couldn't knock his performance against Peterborough for example). Not Towell's biggest fan but we don't have a replacement and he'll be sorely missed. Could Wiles step up to the plate ?

Palmer is a bit lightweight so he needs players around him to help out otherwise he gets out muscled.
    We need the right players in midfield and then we can compete as a unit. Obviously Towell was seriously missed today

Yes, a pity about Towell being out injured - we missed him in the "engine room". I still don't really understand why Lavery didn't come on as sub until so late , especially as he'd scored in our previous match, and Ball not at all. Strange decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    Mates agreed about Palmer, Mike. Along with Newell (again) and one or two others he vanished from the game. Typical of his appearances for Burton we were told when he signed. Maybe he's something of a "homer" (couldn't knock his performance against Peterborough for example). Not Towell's biggest fan but we don't have a replacement and he'll be sorely missed. Could Wiles step up to the plate ?
    In Warne's post match interview he said he expects Towell to be OK for the weekend.

You might all know more about Charlton better than me, but what was Karl Robinson doing wrong there for them to part company with him recently ?. (and I noticed they didnt call it the 'sack' did they)
    And what a result that was, when Portsmouth beat Wigan in todays later game. Its better news for the top two but not as good for the other teams who are chasing Rotherham.

Poor defending again, vaulks caught on the ball for the first goal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW5SoS1rmFo&sns=sms

Just read all 37 posts and must agree with most, my take on it is cant see us winning any of our 3 remaining away games so to reach the play-offs we must win our 3 remaining home games (Fleetwood,Bristol Rovers, Blackpool) and if we cant beat them 3 then we dont deserve to be in play-offs. The present team IMO are no where near good enough for the Championship

Yesterday was very, very poor. The entirety of the defense was shocking, Purrington particularly- at least now we all know why he never gets chosen a complete waste of money.

Palmer had a poor game too, it's a shame because he's been one of the better players recently but he just seem to be a bit soft on the ball. Needs to be stronger.

As already mentioned, why he didn't bring a striker on until 5-10 minutes after we scored our goal was mind boggling. Changes should've been made at half time. Warne needs to have the balls to make changes when needed at half time rather than giving the players 10 minutes in the second half to sort things out.

The players have completely lost the plot recently, I think they think play offs are guaranteed and they can take their foot off the pedal a bit when they can't, but Warne's tactics certainly didn't help. We are best playing quick attacking football, so why go with one up front? The best form of defense is attack, and we are no good at playing the defensive game its been proven time and time again. I nearly didn't bother going because of the snow, I bloody well wish I didn't now

Father in law said Sky Sports said the score didn't reflect the performance and that it was a close game? I don't know where he was watching from but it definitely wasn't close. They could've easily had 5 or 6 if they pressed a bit more instead of their time wasting.

However, I don't think its anything too worrying i.e we have completely lost the ability to play footballI think it's more the players have got their flip flops on already and have their eye on the beach in Dubai

Need a big kick up the backside which it sounds like it happened yesterday, and the realization that the play off places aren't guaranteed yet

I think the game could be a blessing in disguise, the hammering we got should be a huge wake up call and now we can get our heads back in the game and start playing like the high-tempo attacking Rotherham team that they were after Christmas

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast