+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawrence and Bennett...

We all know that many footballers are overpaid thick tossers but that is no excuse for drink driving. I have personal experience of the devastating effects of this despicable crime and agree with Tricky, jail should be imposed everytime even on first offenders! Driving ban for ten years and in this case all kicked out of the club. But hey, we may be in a relegation battle and can't buy replacements until Jan so **** the fact some poor sod may have been killed DCFC is more important so we we I'll rehabilitate them. Bollox!!

I'm in no way defending the drivers but the ones jumping on the bandwagon over on Leeds mad and LTLF are going on as if no one has ever been caught drinking and driving or had an accident resulting from it since the law was passed in 1988 and these 2 are the first and need to be made an example of! They did wrong and they should be punished just like every other driver is punished, D&D happens in the thousands probably everyday throughout the country, not saying it's right I'm just saying these two are human just like everybody else and they made a massive mistake, it seems just because they are footballers or because it's Derby who are in the news already regarding the ground sale everyone seems to be making a big deal of it.

Police chiefs, judges have all been caught D&D but have got less air time than these two!

Also people blaming Huddlestone for taking a video and letting it happen, I'm sorry but he was one that left the group at 8pm, he had no idea at that time that those two would drive their cars so taking a video of Bennett being sick was taken as a laugh between mates, we've probably all done it when out on a Sunday session with the boys, 'look at him he's p****d quick take a video'

People blaming Keogh for being the elder and letting them drive and even getting in the car himself, Keogh doesn't drive so he was probably out of his face as well and possibly in no fit state to have any control over anybody.

It's just 3 guys with 2 that were driving when they shouldn't have, ban them both for 12 months and fine them whatever the fine is for D&D, the club will also have a disaplinary procedure to follow and have disrepute clauses in the contracts too I would have thought, beyond that they are just normal guys like us and they should be dealt with as such and no different just because they are football players or because it's Derby

Can't disagree Tricky.

These guys are supposed to be role models and are afforded "adulation" by their supporters, particularly the younger ones. They enjoy the benefits of "fame and celebrity" and so now comes the downside. People like you or I, had we done this, might hope for a lesser penalty for first offence etc, but these guys are in the public eye, they are influencers, and deserve the maximum punishment in law. If that be jail, then so be it. This is not a football issue, it transcends club loyalties. I would feel the same if it was one of yours or one of ours, and definitely if they were Leeds players

BUT We don't know how much over the limit they may have been, so we don't know the range of punishment available. Certainly that video suggests they may have been well in excess: but we cannot yet judge.

I think the club is being very wise in its softly, softly approach. They, and we, are still learning what the FULL facts are. The club will, quite likely, hit all incolved with the max allowed 2 week wages fine. All will get to a lot of work for DC community Trust, maybe some more than others.

As for other measures, IMO they are waiting to complete their own investigation into this and will probably wait until after they see what the courts decide. If certain higher limits have been broken, jail time might be compulsory or if under the compulsory limit, the court could always decide on making an example...... We have no idea and neither does the club.

As I wrote in a previous post, no sympathy from me and I hope they do get hit hard, however, no mind making up from me until I know the full extent of what happened......

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    We all know that many footballers are overpaid thick tossers but that is no excuse for drink driving. I have personal experience of the devastating effects of this despicable crime and agree with Tricky, jail should be imposed everytime even on first offenders! Driving ban for ten years and in this case all kicked out of the club. But hey, we may be in a relegation battle and can't buy replacements until Jan so **** the fact some poor sod may have been killed DCFC is more important so we we I'll rehabilitate them. Bollox!!
    Similar to Mac I've been there but with a gfs family. Convinced me to stop drinking the day I passed my test, which sort of still applies today (never more than 1 unit when out). I've spent decades watching highly paid bad signings sit on the sidelines for whole seasons, more than happy for Bennett and Lawrence to be in that category too. 'One Of Our Own' my arse, couldn't care less if they were our stars or bit-part players

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I thought that 3k bill was after Leeds away playoff game, but there may have been a post manure cup game piss up too
    Your memory is working better than mine GP............. it was indeed the playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Sorry MOP, much as I like you, not having that.
    What they did was unforgivable. A wrecked Range Rover is one thing. But it could have also have resulted in innocent deaths.
    They knew what they were doing, no one forced them. If they really are that thick and stupid, they should never have been allowed driving licenses.
    Jail for me, is the only message to be sent out.
    The thing is Tricky if it was compulsory to go to Jail for drink driving I'd agree with you but it's not. In fact if these two were famous Prem players they'd just pay a top Barrister to get it sorted. These players will be banned from driving and have to face other criminal charges where as i you've got the cash you even keep your licence. The system stinks.
    What they did was very wrong and I still say everyone makes mistakes and like I said I hope they learn from them, the sad thing is not everyone does.

I'm sorry but the buck stops at the top, Mel Morris has let this happen and if anyone is honest with themselves its time he sold up and left.

Cocu looks absolutely lost in the interview, I think he'll walk if we lose tomorrow as it isn't worth the hassle for him imo, its a stale 2nd division club going nowhere under an owner who's more interested in bringing a celebrity culture to the club

Geribaldi is right as well sadly

I was fuming after that playoff semi final pi*s up put on by Lampard

The club is a facking joke, a nice cushy number and its treated as such by the likes of Lawrence etc

Back in the Nigel Clough days we might have been average but there was a close knit thing going on, Cloughie had us heading in the right direction off the field, we were stable, well run and it just needed a few tweaks on the pitch to get us going

Now we have an owner who lets this cr*p go on, and he enjoys getting bladdered with the fans himself, been seen in away day pubs doing the bounce ffs

Sh*t, badly run, players running amok.... sorry but this is heading for league 1 not the premiership

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    I'm in no way defending the drivers but the ones jumping on the bandwagon over on Leeds mad and LTLF are going on as if no one has ever been caught drinking and driving or had an accident resulting from it since the law was passed in 1988 and these 2 are the first and need to be made an example of! They did wrong and they should be punished just like every other driver is punished, D&D happens in the thousands probably everyday throughout the country, not saying it's right I'm just saying these two are human just like everybody else and they made a massive mistake, it seems just because they are footballers or because it's Derby who are in the news already regarding the ground sale everyone seems to be making a big deal of it.

Police chiefs, judges have all been caught D&D but have got less air time than these two!

Also people blaming Huddlestone for taking a video and letting it happen, I'm sorry but he was one that left the group at 8pm, he had no idea at that time that those two would drive their cars so taking a video of Bennett being sick was taken as a laugh between mates, we've probably all done it when out on a Sunday session with the boys, 'look at him he's p****d quick take a video'

People blaming Keogh for being the elder and letting them drive and even getting in the car himself, Keogh doesn't drive so he was probably out of his face as well and possibly in no fit state to have any control over anybody.

It's just 3 guys with 2 that were driving when they shouldn't have, ban them both for 12 months and fine them whatever the fine is for D&D, the club will also have a disaplinary procedure to follow and have disrepute clauses in the contracts too I would have thought, beyond that they are just normal guys like us and they should be dealt with as such and no different just because they are football players or because it's Derby
    They are going to love this. Esp Forest who are heading in the right direction and look to be playing some decent stuff, albait their squad is a little to big but they are heading in the right direction.

Leeds have been going in the right direction under Bielsa from day 1, they play good stuff, they have a close knit squad who look like they love playing for him, and will certainly be disappointed if they fail again this season.

We on the other hand have started going backwards, the players are not motivated, more interested in getting smashed to bits for the camera. Cocu imo looks like a man who is waiting for the sack, or I think he'll just cut and run thinking its not worth hanging on a year to get paid off.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)