+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MB

Roberts is MB's Achilles heel. He desperately wants another success story like KP, Ayling or Dallas. Instead he's more like Kiko or Costa and just can't seem to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Roberts is MB's Achilles heel. He desperately wants another success story like KP, Ayling or Dallas. Instead he's more like Kiko or Costa and just can't seem to accept it.
    The argument is not that Roberts has't been fantastic it’s that fans should tone down their judgement of players who for the most part are doing what is being asked of them in zonal play, marking & attacking areas with movement to create space opportunity for others to exploit. But of course views & opinions will differ Spaldy.

Obviously Roberts does not have the same impact as someone like Raph but you cannot blame a international player for not being a world-class one.

Liam Cooper has endured similar criticism & singled out constantly despite playing relatively well as has Forshaw whose been relentlessly slagged off before now.

Phillips also, many fans seemed ready to see the back of him 'before' Bielsa transformed him into a PL international & whilst he remained relatively fit.

Always will be critiques of Bamford, Harrison, James, Firpo, whole squad really ditto - fans, supporters - eh ?

As I've previously stated, if Tyler's performances do not improve in the next couple of seasons being injury free then yes, it is a fair assessment that we may have to move Tyler on as with any player under contract & believe me - he knows that Spaldy.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    The argument is not that Roberts has't been fantastic it’s that fans should tone down their judgement of players who for the most part are doing what is being asked of them in zonal play, marking & attacking areas with movement to create space opportunity for others to exploit. But of course views & opinions will differ Spaldy.

Obviously Roberts does not have the same impact as someone like Raph but you cannot blame a international player for not being a world-class one.

Liam Cooper has endured similar criticism & singled out constantly despite playing relatively well as has Forshaw whose been relentlessly slagged off before now.

Phillips also, many fans seemed ready to see the back of him 'before' Bielsa transformed him into a PL international & whilst he remained relatively fit.

Always will be critiques of Bamford, Harrison, James, Firpo, whole squad really ditto - fans, supporters - eh ?

As I've previously stated, if Tyler's performances do not improve in the next couple of seasons being injury free then yes, it is a fair assessment that we may have to move Tyler on as with any player under contract & believe me - he knows that Spaldy.
    "The argument is not that Roberts has't been fantastic it’s that fans should tone down their judgement of players who for the most part are doing what is being asked of them......." etc etc. What??????????

The criticism of Robert's performance comes from ALL quarters, and has been consistent for at least the last two seasons (including this one), during which time he has consistently demonstrated a lack of potential and skill when being considered as a PL player and HASN'T been "doing what is asked of him", as he is incapable of doing so. The only exception appears to be the view MB has of the player.

He may be capped for Wales, but no-one could imagine him being "world class" and it's not that he is criticised for, he simply isn't good enough for the PL.

And you are suggesting we give him "a couple more seasons"?????????????
    Last edited by WTF11; 25-01-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    "The argument is not that Roberts has't been fantastic it’s that fans should tone down their judgement of players who for the most part are doing what is being asked of them......." etc etc. What??????????

The criticism of Robert's performance comes from ALL quarters, and has been consistent for at least the last two seasons (including this one), during which time he has consistently demonstrated a lack of potential and skill when being considered as a PL player and HASN'T been "doing what is asked of him", as he is incapable of doing so. The only exception appears to be the view MB has of the player.

He may be capped for Wales, but no-one could imagine him being "world class" and it's not that he is criticised for, he simply isn't good enough for the PL.

And you are suggesting we give him "a couple more seasons"?????????????
    I have my view & opinion & have seen him play many matches in between his serious injury lay offs & know his personal views on some matters.
    So easy to attack an opinion that differs, such is life.

I try to limit all media device use to 3 hours daily, but having 2 hour lunch breaks in France sees a few of us in staff restaurant hilariously reading football club forums featuring clubs from Germany, Holland, Belgium, Poland & Germany & must admit my comments are more positive when compared to my working companions contributions for their teams, for sure.

After work it's easy to pick up foreign newspapers in most Tabacs/cafes & read independent journalist views on world football teams which usually creates instant conversational topics prior to political debate or local town politics.

Often perspectives are changed on how one sees football matters for sure.
    The running of PSG & FC Nantes of French Ligue 1 is fascinating being totally opposite of football finance spectrums, same for Ajax Amsterdam & Feyenoord of Rotterdam in Eredivisie Dutch league, the woes of fans of Serbian Super Liga Red Star Belgrade forums - hell, makes Leeds fans comments & concerns often trivial & demure in response.

Lunch break up, so back to my own team remit, not a star role but it helps - some hopefully may say.
    Just saying like as we're all entitled to an opinion on all matters in life,bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post

Agreed also Roberts sees himself more of a striker than a CAM so he is being asked to play in a different role, he is still pretty young and has had a lot of injuries which have hampered progress.

I think his biggest challenge is that a lot of the youngsters have or are in the process of overtaking him in the pecking order.

MB is fair and loyal to players beyond levels other managers have which is actually something I like about him. If Roberts doesn’t step up in the next 17 games I suspect he will be gone in the summer but Bielsa is giving him the chance to prove himself.

In some games he has been decent but with a fully fit squad he doesn’t get close to making the first XI.

Rodrigo I feel for - he is a quality player but needs quality around him and without that he struggles - again on a fully fit settled squad he fits in nicely but this season hasn’t allowed that.

If we have a weak inexperienced midfield he looks dreadful if it has Phillips and Foreshaw in it I suspect he looks very good indeed.

Teams are as much about balance and compatibility as the the individual talent of a player.

MT,

I think the correct term on this would be "opportunity cost". Roberts is average at best. I think many of us would agree he's peaked at where's he's at with Leeds. Cooper is another example of that. He's steady and not going to get any better. He's peaked at a higher level than Roberts did but he's also quite a bit older. It's only downhill for him now due to his age. I would much rather play Strujik than Cooper right now. I think he's a future star in the Van Dyke mold.

When you have players like Joffy, Bate, Somervile and Greenwood with so much upside many of us feel we'd be much better off playing and developing them. Especially with us sitting lower in the table. I know there is a relegation risk but Roberts is not any better on alleviating that risk that one of the young pups would be.

I think their is also an air of urgency. Many of us think that KP and Raph are gone this summer along with our coach. The youth will be a key to our next step as a team in the prem and Roberts is not likely to have much of a role in that next step for us.

MT,

I think the correct term on this would be "opportunity cost". Roberts is average at best. I think many of us would agree he's peaked at where's he's at with Leeds. Cooper is another example of that. He's steady and not going to get any better. He's peaked at a higher level than Roberts did but he's also quite a bit older. It's only downhill for him now due to his age. I would much rather play Strujik than Cooper right now. I think he's a future star in the Van Dyke mold.

When you have players like Joffy, Bate, Somervile and Greenwood with so much upside many of us feel we'd be much better off playing and developing them. Especially with us sitting lower in the table. I know there is a relegation risk but Roberts is not any better on alleviating that risk that one of the young pups would be.

I think their is also an air of urgency. Many of us think that KP and Raph are gone this summer along with our coach. The youth will be a key to our next step as a team in the prem and Roberts is not likely to have much of a role in that next step for us.
    Nicely put.

Rodrigo, if, when or able to be 100% match fit, is a decent player, when allowed to play in his best / natural position ( striker )
    Last few games of last season, played well / scored some tasty goals, just a pity that injuries & form has effected things - with all that said, still miles better than Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Nicely put.
    Don’t disagree but ultimately MB sees it his way and I defer to his judgement over mine (as mine is irrelevant in that context anyway).

I suspect the best thing for Roberts is to sign for a good Championship club so he can prove his worth under less pressure and expectation. He is young enough to still make it.

Look at players released for not being good enough over the years

De Bruyne
    Lukaku
    Eriksson

And our dear Luke Ayling

Or who make it later on in life

Ian Wright or J Beckford

I hope for the kid that he finds a way of realising his talent in the top leagues as it isn’t really happening now for him.

Also look at Bamford wasn’t a fan in his first season but each year he has worked hard, added to his game and addressed weaknesses. No reason why TyRo can’t do the same the problem for him and us is we need him to be good now.

MT,

Tyler signed 2018 for £2.5m, rising to £4m via add on's on 4 year contract under totally different set of circumstances & now has a self-stated 'fight' on his hands for a starting place - I would guarantee Leeds would get that fee back doubled for him now.

Emerging talent is pushing him & others & quite rightly & other clubs tentative enquiries of him have been rejected I understand, possibly to underpin the safe, sensible planning in allowing said youth policy to finally emerge through.

Already, injury at all levels age groups at Leeds has interrupted careers so Bielsa will play folks available who he trusts - not who WE wish to see, end of. Anyone reading books about Bielsa knows why he does that & how he determines a team selection & why he stays loyal to players & visa-versa & how he uses his mentality doing it all.

Yes, I do worry for certain players & highlight Mental health issues for many reasons & not to spoil the forum hopefully.
    My Mum is the toughest person I've ever met mentally - yet she cannot watch my 17 year old brother play football, she gets nervous & feels physically sick every time he plays as a keeper for his home city club & now presently valued as a £65,000 prospect he is learning to live with new pressure in daily training let alone match days focus scenarios.

For Mum her 'feelings' may get even worse as he progresses, hopefully they will not & anybody with a son/brother I could guarantee would NOT like the abusive comment thrown direct the way 'some' do casually to Tyler on a regular basis - 'some' not all may I add with respect - so yes 'opportunity does cost' in many ways around a footballer, Spaldy
    Balance is a fine art in how you deliver it & I feel on balance with present club circumstances he's got it about right.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)