+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: First team coach departs

There's no positives to be taken when we have failed to improve on the previous season, and then get thumped 5 nil and fail to break down a bunch of part timers. Good coaches find a way to overcome these obstacles, but we had no idea. That's how good our coaches were..

What's the difference between durhampie and a battery.......a battery has a positive

There's always those who will accept mediocrity.. I'm glad Burchnall has gone and taken his hands in pockets mate with him. Good luck to both of them in their new job, but it won't take long for them to be exposed..

Also, I wouldn't mind betting that the Brothers weren't sorry to see them go either..

I don't think we were mediocre last season, but whatever it was, I was disappointed not to go further in the play offs or go up.
    This season coming under Ian Burchnall, I would have been extremely disappointed if we failed to go up, given the base created, and would have happily said goodbye to IB.
    I must say MD never impressed me as an assistant, although this was from a view in the stands and the odd interview. Ranting and raving on the touchline does not a good assistant coach make, but he never gave the impression he had much to add to Burchnall's way.
    At least you should be happy both have now departed and you can get back to your usual upbeat positive self, durham. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Yup, you can lead a horse to water and all that. What we have to remember is Clapham was a part of the coaching set up. He would have had an input but ultimately it's down to the Head Coach to ensure any tactical plays agreed in training etc are executed in a game, but even then if your players aren't keeping up their end of the bargain when it matters what chance have you got?
    Do you not think the attacking output was a bit underwhelming though considering we had someone focusing on it? I know they’re a new thing in football, but at places where they’ve really worked you see them trying and scoring from some really interesting routines. I know he’ll be coaching the blocking and stuff that’s important, but as far as I can tell the one routine we developed was ‘clip it to the far post and have the big lad attack it’.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Set piece coach is brought it to improve the number of goals we score and reduce the number of goals we concede from set pieces. He achieves both in his first season.

He then gets approached by a club in a higher division to be part of their setup. What is so hard to work out?

We all know didn't get promoted and of course that's the most important thing to us fans, we instead basically achieved parity from the previous season. No better, no worse.

We have a head coach/manager head hunted for the first time in for ever instead us having to pay them compensation. We have a backroom staff member approached and snapped up by a Premier League club, we have interest and multiple formal bids received for multiple players which again feels like a new sensation at Notts, it's been that long.

I view all of those things as progress, as positives. If you aren't doing some things right none of the above happens let alone all of it.
    For all those positives we actually had our lowest ever league finish in 160 years and had statistically almost no chance of finishing top after half a season had elapsed.
    I'm not slating Burch or Clapham, they've both moved up the food chain and clearly have strengths but collectively Burch, Doyle, Clapham & Co were never able to energise a good squad into strong contenders. We didn't really improve or grow as the season went on despite loaning in players and pepping up the squad so it's a bit harsh to keep blaming the players for not executing the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    We all know didn't get promoted and of course that's the most important thing to us fans, we instead basically achieved parity from the previous season.
    Is ‘parity’ the new ‘stability’? If we achieve parity for the next decade, we remain a non-league club for the next decade. If all of our staff and players get poached by Man City or Liverpool I’m sure some would see it as proof of how well the project is going.

It will only be going well for me when we achieve promotion, I don’t care what happens to those who leave.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    it's a bit harsh to keep blaming the players for not executing the plan.
    Yep, that has the lamest excuse of all. Any of us could say “I’m a brilliant manager, but the players just didn’t do what I told them”!

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    I don't think we were mediocre last season, but whatever it was, I was disappointed not to go further in the play offs or go up.
    This season coming under Ian Burchnall, I would have been extremely disappointed if we failed to go up, given the base created, and would have happily said goodbye to IB.
    I must say MD never impressed me as an assistant, although this was from a view in the stands and the odd interview. Ranting and raving on the touchline does not a good assistant coach make, but he never gave the impression he had much to add to Burchnall's way.
    At least you should be happy both have now departed and you can get back to your usual upbeat positive self, durham. 😁
    I will not be happy until we are back in EFL...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast