+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Added on time

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    Ever noticed that refs normally add 1-2 mins in the first half, but always a minimum of 4 in the second. It seems to have little bearing on what has actually happened during the game.

A pet hate of mine is goalkeepers time-wasting throughout a game, but refs always waiting until right at the end to book them. Book them early and give them something to think about.
    I think the extra minutes second half are increased because they add 30 seconds for every substitution?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Based on this article the ball is actually in play for 55 minutes in a 90 minute game. Therefore what should be trialed first and foremost is 30 minute halves. The clock is then stopped each time the ball is out of play. The reality is that the half will end up finishing around the 45 min mark from the time of kick off based on the data.

It's the same as now but different psychologically. The key thing is there would be no benefit in wasting time because the 30 minutes in game play is guaranteed for each halve. No more no less.

The in play game time data is clearly there so it could form the basis of any future trials.
    No point in that really though is there? Play 30 minute halfs which will take 45 minutes - may as well carry on as we are.

I would much rather they look at things like dives, trying to get players red-carded etc. Whatever was done with time it wouldn't really change the amount of time the ball is in play if halves were shorter.

Every team manages the game when they are winning close to the end - leave it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    The trouble is telling whether a player is genuinely injured.
    That's the big problem. If a player rolls around in apparent agony, it must be hard for a ref to ignore it. But there are clues - if it's fake it's usually late on in the game where the offending team are ahead or desperate to hold on to a point. It's here that refs have to earn their wage. If it's off the ball, they should play on because if they do play on in 99% of cases the player gets up, limps for a couple of steps, then makes a miraculous recovery if they have a pass to chase. I'm sure time wasting has it's own special slot for some clubs in training now, because a lot of teams are really good at it, maybe including us. A few classics are:

The keeper decides he needs a drink when the ball goes out of play for a goal kick.
    The keeper pretends he wants to play the goal kick short when he's played it long all game, and then spends a few seconds looking around before ushering his team up the pitch playing it long.
    A free kick is deliberately taken from the wrong place with the taker knowing he will be sent back to take it in the correct place. Job done, he's wasted several seconds which the ref won't add on.
    A throw in is deliberately taken from the wrong place with the taker knowing he will be sent back to take it in the correct place. Job done, he's wasted several seconds which the ref won't add on.

And don't get me started on Tozer's towels. The ball goes out of play, he strolls up the pitch to take it, waits for the ball boy to bring him a towel, carefully dries the ball and 40 seconds after it went out of play he throws it back in. This would normally take 10 seconds. If this happens just 10 times in a game it means 5 minutes of the game have been lost. But refs and the rules allow it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's the big problem. If a player rolls around in apparent agony, it must be hard for a ref to ignore it. But there are clues - if it's fake it's usually late on in the game where the offending team are ahead or desperate to hold on to a point. It's here that refs have to earn their wage. If it's off the ball, they should play on because if they do play on in 99% of cases the player gets up, limps for a couple of steps, then makes a miraculous recovery if they have a pass to chase. I'm sure time wasting has it's own special slot for some clubs in training now, because a lot of teams are really good at it, maybe including us. A few classics are:

The keeper decides he needs a drink when the ball goes out of play for a goal kick.
    The keeper pretends he wants to play the goal kick short when he's played it long all game, and then spends a few seconds looking around before ushering his team up the pitch playing it long.
    A free kick is deliberately taken from the wrong place with the taker knowing he will be sent back to take it in the correct place. Job done, he's wasted several seconds which the ref won't add on.
    A throw in is deliberately taken from the wrong place with the taker knowing he will be sent back to take it in the correct place. Job done, he's wasted several seconds which the ref won't add on.

And don't get me started on Tozer's towels. The ball goes out of play, he strolls up the pitch to take it, waits for the ball boy to bring him a towel, carefully dries the ball and 40 seconds after it went out of play he throws it back in. This would normally take 10 seconds. If this happens just 10 times in a game it means 5 minutes of the game have been lost. But refs and the rules allow it to happen.
    On throw ins, players never seem to be sent back to where the ball actually went out of play. Seems like gaining 5 yds is the norm

[QUOTE=Elite_Pie;40209386]
    [I]The keeper decides he needs a drink when the ball goes out of play for a goal kick.

Our own Roy Carroll was master at wasting time used to infuriate me...

[QUOTE=Wedgie_pie;40209656][QUOTE=Elite_Pie;40209386]
    [I]The keeper decides he needs a drink when the ball goes out of play for a goal kick.

Don't forget that he needs to adjust his socks and kick the post a few times to clean his boots first.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    I'm slightly O/T here but I honestly don't know the answer. I'm sure that there was a time when the award of a penalty was the only thing that would put off the final whistle when time was up. Nowadays, if a corner (or a free-kick in a promising position) is awarded, the attacking team seem always to be allowed to take all the time in the world with their prep, and after the kick is eventually taken, the ref still won't blow until either a goal is scored or the ensuing pinball session has finished. Have the laws/rules changed?
    In the end I found this was an easy one to check and, AAMOI, it seems that the rules haven't changed. Law 7, Rule 4 is just as it was, and a penalty is the only exception that may cause the match to be extended. [4. Penalty kick. If a penalty kick has to be taken or retaken, the half is extended until the penalty kick is completed.]

Also, I vaguely recall an unusual case of a ref's reaction to a time-wasting substition. We made a substitution in injury time and the player going off was so slow the ref showed him a second yellow and a red. So he still went off but the sub couldn't come on. I never saw that happen before or since. Anyone remember what match it was?

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post

Also, I vaguely recall an unusual case of a ref's reaction to a time-wasting substition. We made a substitution in injury time and the player going off was so slow the ref showed him a second yellow and a red. So he still went off but the sub couldn't come on. I never saw that happen before or since. Anyone remember what match it was?
    What era/decade are we talking?

Back in the day, there was only one match ball and the crowd wouldn't always give it back until it had been passed around for a bit. Players would kick the ball away at free kicks, strikers would carry on after a whistle for offside and put the ball into the net, defenders would pass back to the keeper over and over and yet games very rarely went on for more than a minute over the 90. We also had half-time breaks less than 15 minutes, sometimes 10 with the 2nd half kicking off at 3:55 and you'd be out of the ground before 4:45.

Maybe there's a couple of things football could learn from rugby. Injured players are tended to, but the game goes on around them. Funny in a game where physical contact is part of the game, you don't see a lot of injuries. Also if you have a free kick awarded against you, & you don't retire 10m immediately, the free kick is moved forward 10m. Could be interesting approaching the penalty area!

Quote Originally Posted by GEZMAN View Post
    Maybe there's a couple of things football could learn from rugby. Injured players are tended to, but the game goes on around them. Funny in a game where physical contact is part of the game, you don't see a lot of injuries. Also if you have a free kick awarded against you, & you don't retire 10m immediately, the free kick is moved forward 10m. Could be interesting approaching the penalty area!
    The free kick thing was tried and then shelved as was awarding the throw in to the opposition if you took it from the wrong place.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast