+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: O/T Old Barnsley In Colour

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Yes I've always been interested in the findings from the past. As a kid laikin darn near the Dearn (Hoyle Mill) I always wondered what the Oaks Viaduct would've looked like as there was, and still is, only the stone pillar footings left after its demolition. Back then though in the late 80s, the stone piers weren't shrouded by trees and I could never picture an actual railway line in my head and where it went. These picture pieced it all together.

As for the Canal, wow. Stunning piece of architecture and engineering. Truly mind blowing how they built these things back then. What a shame it's gone although a bit remains down the hill behind Oakwell to the bottom of Harborough Hills. There's also evidence close by of the stonework of the canal and old tow path behind Oakwell, again shrouded by trees now unfortunately and most people oblivious to the fact that it existed.

Meks thi wonder why we destroy all that history. When tha looks at what they've done in Castlefield, Manchester, the once run down shyte hole that it was 30 years ago is now thriving thanks to a big clean up and restoration of the canal which is now a thriving and trendy place.

Tha looks at what's left of Hoyle Mill nar. They ent even gorra boozer ennymooar bar Jooa Johnsons snooker club. Crying shame how such a beautiful area has become barren and desolate when so much history surrounds it.
    I can just about remember the Oaks Viaduct because we lived just across the road on that estate just before The Hope Inn , I'd be about 6 years old then but I can remember the workmen coming round and warning about the noise of the dynamite blowing it up .

In those days on that estate where we lived if you walked to the end of Robert Avenue there was the canal there too , the path for the horses that pulled the boats was still there .

Spent hours down there catching frogs and newts as a kid .

It's amazing the scope and quality of construction/ civil engineering work done in those days.

Nardays it takes years to build a bridge over a railway line in Barnsley.

When it comes to bigger picture construction across regions forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Never knew the Denby Dale Viaduct was predominantly made of wood originally. You can see the 2 original stone arches at either end on the photograph, this is where you drive under the arches on the road these days.

I just did a bit of research and the original timber structure was erected in 1850 with the stone arch abutments at either end. The decision to use timber was because there was a stonemason strike.

The viaduct we see today was built in 1877 and opened in 1880 using over 100,000 tons of stone and is a grade 2 listed building. The construction of the stone viaduct took place directly alongside the old timber structure which was becoming unsafe. The timber structure wasn't dismantled until 1884.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Never knew the Denby Dale Viaduct was predominantly made of wood originally. You can see the 2 original stone arches at either end on the photograph, this is where you drive under the arches on the road these days.

I just did a bit of research and the original timber structure was erected in 1850 with the stone arch abutments at either end. The decision to use timber was because there was a stonemason strike.

The viaduct we see today was built in 1877 and opened in 1880 using over 100,000 tons of stone and is a grade 2 listed building. The construction of the stone viaduct took place directly alongside the old timber structure which was becoming unsafe. The timber structure wasn't dismantled until 1884.
    Me neither Pass , it's a fantastic feat of engineering and construction when you consider the tackle they had to work with .

I'm assuming there wouldn't be any safety harnesses worn back then .

Must have had ballax like footballs .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Me neither Pass , it's a fantastic feat of engineering and construction when you consider the tackle they had to work with .

I'm assuming there wouldn't be any safety harnesses worn back then .

Must have had ballax like footballs .
    Absolutely Animal. The largest drop from the railway level of the viaduct to floor is 108ft. It's an mazing structure and approaching 150 years old, something that most people wouldn't really appreciate. Architecture is of a big interest to me. The construction of the entire railway network back in the 1800s is mindblowing. The canals even more so in the 1700s.

The Navvies who did all the spadework, construction and tunnel blasting with, as you say, basic equipment are heroes in my eyes and deserve much more recognition in what was a revolutionary part of British history. Ok, their reputation for drinking heavily and general unruly behaviour casts them in a negative light which is unfortunate considering their achievements
    and the squalor that they lived in (shanty towns due to much of their work being carried out in rural areas). Many men died or were seriously injured working in horrendous conditions but their legacy lives on. The amount of civil engineering work undertaken by these people was colossol.

People say that the Internet was a huge invention that revolutionised the world which is true. However, people tend to overlook and underestimate what the invention of the railways brought. It literally changed everything from how people lived to the transportation of goods and mail etc. We invented a transport system that revolutionised the world that we live in today.

Spot on Pass.

The Navvies "homes" were just transit camps as they moved on from one section of the line/ canal to the next.

After a hard days graft they enjoyed a drink in local ale houses. Parents locked up their daughters.

"We are the Navvies, we'll sup where we want". The chavs of today would run a mile if they approached.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast