+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 404 of 421 FirstFirst ... 304354394402403404405406414 ... LastLast
Results 4,031 to 4,040 of 4202

Thread: The Summer Transfer Window

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    My lack of tactical understanding is of no surprise if I am continually annoyed at our one up top and very little in return tactics that our esteemed Anchor Man continues with.
    We don’t create enough chances, we don’t have many shots on target during matches but we still continue with the 4-2-3-1. Surely as a manager you would want to give your team the best chance to score goals? Why does McInnes still persist with this formation when it would suggest otherwise?
    As stated previously...the 4-2-3-1 suits our manager not our players.
    I think Mciness's win % is around 56% that would suggest 4231 works with the players.

said it on another thread, we are only 3 games into the domestic season! folk need to calm down a little bit. Clearly not been able to get our best 11 on the park yet and new players need time to settle. after seeing the home euro games (reijka excepted) and the hearts game, i am quietly confident of an exciting season

I can't remember who on this forum was criticising our insistence on having a Scottish manager and who was saying we should accept European ideas and this is definitely not an ad hominem argument. But back in the days of Uncle Ebbe, he was blasting the inability of Scottish footballers to play anything but 4-4-2.

So, it became unfashionable in Scotland too. But horses for courses. Take your pick from recent defenders in Scotland, Ross Tokely, Paul Quinn, Jim Goodwin, Steven Whittaker, Clévid Dikamona, Alan Lithgow, Darian Mackinnon unlikely to feature for PSG, Real Madrid or Barcelona and consider that 2 up front might be useful on occasion. We might have to change our strategy for playing in the group stages of the Europa League (or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    I'm not sure that is right as yesterday Gallacher was nominally the number 10 (other than when him and Hedges swapped positions occasionally) and he never sat deep with Ojo and Bryson playing the "2" in the deeper role. I think that is a significant part of the problem as Gallacher is not a no 10, in fact I'm not sure where Gallacher should play to be honest as he's not really a winger either.

I'm not having a go at you but your last sentence in a nutshell is a big part of our problem where we obsess about what the opposition is doing to our detriment. We should pick a team to suit us in the vast majority of games we play, especially at home and let the opposition worry about us.

To answer your question I would be very comfortable playing 442 at home but accept that we may need a more cautious 4231 in certain away games
    For the part in bold, It’s a pleasure to have a reasoned discussion / debate.
    Not enough on it in here I think.

I agree, for the Dundee game, with Ferguson suspended and Bryson just back from injury, Gallagher was showing far more as the runner in the advanced role.

If we look at our next cup game (best chance to win a trophy), I think it would be folly to go 4-4-2 against Hearts at Tynecastle.
    That would play right into their hands.
    First of all, they like to play 3 at the back and allow their full backs to push on. Souttar and Halkett would likely man mark our two strikers with Berra sweeping.
    With their full backs pushed on, they’d have 5 in midfield, with Naismith also floating in there, giving them a significant numerical advantage in the middle of the park and greater opportunity to dominate there.
    We’ve struggled of late down at Tynecastle, but to be successful, I think we need width to push back their full backs, resulting in them only having 3 (or 4 with Naismith floating in there) in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by rustlinsweetiepapers View Post
    I can't remember who on this forum was criticising our insistence on having a Scottish manager and who was saying we should accept European ideas and this is definitely not an ad hominem argument. But back in the days of Uncle Ebbe, he was blasting the inability of Scottish footballers to play anything but 4-4-2.

So, it became unfashionable in Scotland too. But horses for courses. Take your pick from recent defenders in Scotland, Ross Tokely, Paul Quinn, Jim Goodwin, Steven Whittaker, Clévid Dikamona, Alan Lithgow, Darian Mackinnon unlikely to feature for PSG, Real Madrid or Barcelona and consider that 2 up front might be useful on occasion. We might have to change our strategy for playing in the group stages of the Europa League (or not).
    I think there needs to be a degree of tactical flexibility. A plan A, B and C if you will. And i would agree that 442 has a place in that.

I prefer the 4231, i think when executed properly gives a solid balance between attack and defence and i can understand why McInness, and many other managers now favour it. I think the idea of set formations is becoming misleading in today fast paced game. it is all about your shape in the first moments you lose or gain the ball, i.e. in transition, as that is where games tend to be won or lost these days

with the options we have in that 3 behind cosgrove, we should have enough flexibility and pace to cause a lot of teams problems, and play some nice football

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    For the part in bold, It’s a pleasure to have a reasoned discussion / debate.
    Not enough on it in here I think.

I agree, for the Dundee game, with Ferguson suspended and Bryson just back from injury, Gallagher was showing far more as the runner in the advanced role.

If we look at our next cup game (best chance to win a trophy), I think it would be folly to go 4-4-2 against Hearts at Tynecastle.
    That would play right into their hands.
    First of all, they like to play 3 at the back and allow their full backs to push on. Souttar and Halkett would likely man mark our two strikers with Berra sweeping.
    With their full backs pushed on, they’d have 5 in midfield, with Naismith also floating in there, giving them a significant numerical advantage in the middle of the park and greater opportunity to dominate there.
    We’ve struggled of late down at Tynecastle, but to be successful, I think we need width to push back their full backs, resulting in them only having 3 (or 4 with Naismith floating in there) in midfield
    agree with this on an approach to Hearts. Also, in realtion to an early point (sorry forgot the poster) about our players not suited 4231 (which i disagree with), i think we definitely dont suit 442. we dont have any out and out wingers to make that system work

Still 10 days left in the window. We have seen for the ump****th time today that since McLean/Christie left, we have zero creativity in midfield with not much more coming from the wide areas yet somehow McInnes claims he is happy with the strength of the squad.

So what's going on that we can all see that yet three transfer windows later it is a glaring hole in our squad? McInnes must be starting to feel the heat as his after match comments are now tending towards throwing the players under the bus, which he has always been careful to avoid. So why doesn't he try to help himself by signing someone that can really help him? I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    Still 10 days left in the window. We have seen for the ump****th time today that since McLean/Christie left, we have zero creativity in midfield with not much more coming from the wide areas yet somehow McInnes claims he is happy with the strength of the squad.

So what's going on that we can all see that yet three transfer windows later it is a glaring hole in our squad? McInnes must be starting to feel the heat as his after match comments are now tending towards throwing the players under the bus, which he has always been careful to avoid. So why doesn't he try to help himself by signing someone that can really help him? I don't get it
    Mcinnes is obviously clueless,we all know what we need i.e creative midfielder but he's happy with what we have so he's seeing something in the squad that 99% off us aren't,as i said he's clueless if he's happy with our squad and the way we are 'playing'

Quote Originally Posted by nice1simmy View Post
    Mcinnes is obviously clueless,we all know what we need i.e creative midfielder but he's happy with what we have so he's seeing something in the squad that 99% off us aren't,as i said he's clueless if he's happy with our squad and the way we are 'playing'
    McWinless confirmed in his Killie pre match interview that as for any more signings in this window that will not be happening, we are finished as far as incoming is concerned (sad I know) maybe one or two going out but fk all else coming in

Quote Originally Posted by Stavrum View Post
    I think Mciness's win % is around 56% that would suggest 4231 works with the players.

said it on another thread, we are only 3 games into the domestic season! folk need to calm down a little bit. Clearly not been able to get our best 11 on the park yet and new players need time to settle. after seeing the home euro games (reijka excepted) and the hearts game, i am quietly confident of an exciting season
    Go and get drug tested

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    McWinless confirmed in his Killie pre match interview that as for any more signings in this window that will not be happening, we are finished as far as incoming is concerned (sad I know) maybe one or two going out but fk all else coming in
    We are boring enough. He probably feels he doesn’t need more additional cumbersome players as we have plenty. Oh Derek McInnes

Page 404 of 421 FirstFirst ... 304354394402403404405406414 ... LastLast