+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 41 of 62 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: New manager

Think most of you underestimate Warnock. Most of the clubs he has been at recently have needed a backs to the wall, survival approach. We are in no danger and have time a space to play our football, I think he could quite easily come in and do a job. Just think of the positives if he did. Lots of press coverage, probably a thousand on the gate (?) his reputation to attract players and the ability to organise the defensive side of life.
    I know it's pie in the sky but I'd love it.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Warnock I bet he's laughing as much as we are I can just see it, forget all that possession based football lads and just hoof it up front
    He's exciting and effective though. You also know, that if he picks a player, that player gives 100% on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    It was Paul Mace who said about Warnock being interested on the Magpie Circle last night but I watched it on youtube late so I was amazed to come on here today and no one had mentioned it, does no one on here watch the Magpie Circle.
    Fwiw I don't think the owners will get Warnock as he simply doesn't fit their model but he certainly isn't a dinosaur.
    I watch it esp if he's got Stall on. Gets a bit annoying that he bangs on about 'social media numties' all the time when he obviously visits the sites he moans about to see what people are saying and repeats what is being said.

I for one, would not be disappointed to see Neil back down at the lane. Steady the ship until close season. Maybe even work a bit of magic and get us through to the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Think most of you underestimate Warnock. Most of the clubs he has been at recently have needed a backs to the wall, survival approach. We are in no danger and have time a space to play our football, I think he could quite easily come in and do a job. Just think of the positives if he did. Lots of press coverage, probably a thousand on the gate (?) his reputation to attract players and the ability to organise the defensive side of life.
    I know it's pie in the sky but I'd love it.
    Yeah, I pretty much agree. I wouldn't want us to go down that route long term, but given that we now seem to have a slim chance of promotion and therefore not much to lose, why not bring him in until the summer and spend those months sourcing the perfect head coach to take us forward long term (or until he's nabbed by Burton Albion or whatever).

Imagine having Warnock back in the dugout for a playoff campaign. Meadow Lane would be absolutely buzzing.

Not going to happen, but it would be bloody fun if it did. Plus, as someone else has said, if it's true that he's stated his interest, it would be bloody bizarre for a L2 club to not be interested in someone with his experience and stature, and that's without considering his connection to the club.

Damn right it would be!

The Kop could revive the "Warnock, show us your arse" chant.

Neil Warnock will forever be a Notts legend and arguably the greatest Football League manager, but it's difficult to see how he would fit the modern Notts blueprint. I'm not talking so much about playing style - in fact I think he's often wrongly labelled as a long-ball merchant - but he's from the old school who would probably want complete control over signings, and by definition he wouldn't be a long-term appointment. I can only assume people are having fun with this idea rather than taking it seriously.

Saturday 14th January 1989
    Warnock's first column in the matchday programme

Neil Warnock's Team Talk

NOTTS COUNTY are renowned throughout football as the oldest League club and when the chairman offered me the manager's position, I regarded it as an honour to be joining a club with such great tradition. Inevitably, I suppose, I am still in the process of finding my way around and trying to put names to faces but I realise only too well that the settling in period must be brief.
    It goes without saying that the No.1 priority is to ensure that Notts County avoid the drop to Division Four and we need to get on with the job of pulling clear of the relegation zone as quickly as possible. In many ways, Meadow Lane is a totally new scene for me and I must confess that it's not easy to recall happy memories of my previous visits. During my playing days with a variety of clubs, I hated coming here because I knew in advance that all I would get from the likes of Brian Stubbs and David Needham was plenty of bumps and bruises. The sooner we can get back to the situation where visiting teams are made to realise they are not welcome (for 90 minutes at any rate), the better it will be - and that's a situation I'm keen to recreate.
    No doubt some of you will never have heard of me and maybe you were disappointed that a big-name manager failed to land the job. But I can only ask at this time for help and understanding. I'm not kidding myself. I know that the task I've taken on will not be easy but I assure you that I will be doing everything in my power to earn your respect by giving you something to cheer.
    The result at Swansea last week was disappointing but it was a useful exercise from my point of view. I learned a lot from it - and saw much that encouraged me during the course of the afternoon. I was also made aware of certain problem areas and once I've had chance to assess things more closely during the next few weeks, it could well be that I will be thinking in terms of bringing in a new face or two. Having said that, I'm very fortunate to have inherited the current staff and I'm hoping I can give them the little bit of fresh impetus they need at the moment.
    In my opinion, the difference between the top and bottom clubs is minimal - maybe even a matter of confidence - and although that's a commodity we were lacking at Swansea, I'm hoping the players will show more belief in their ability this afternoon. Nothing would please me more than to get away to a winning start against Blackpool but I know enough about them to realise that we face a tough assignment. Sam Ellis is an old friend and I wish him well. But he will understand when I say that I want our lads to go out this afternoon and really play to their true capabilities.

We were 20th that day in January, finished the season 9th. Promoted the season after, and the season after that.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    It's more than it if what Mace has said is true. He'd basically be saying to the owners, "if you've realised that you've gone as far as you can go having total control and need to trust somebody with experience, I'm yer man."

Any club below tier 2 turning Warnock down would be out of their tiny little minds.
    You mean any club who plays hoofball and percentages, then yes. We dont employ that style any more.

Page 41 of 62 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast