+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: New manager

Hoofball and POMO were associated with some very successful managers .
    A certain former England player , European Cup winner and Bundesliga manager rated Graham Taylor as his best ever manager, including Brian Clough.
    Neil Warnock didn't do too badly either.

Wouldn't be the worst thing if Warnock were to mentor Jim O' Brien for the remainder of the campaign.

I hope the position gets filled quickly or stories like this are going to get louder and louder.
    https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/01/16/...-goal-striker/
    The club have previously suggested that they are not keen on buying in the mid-season window because prices are higher.
    They might consider selling at this time for the same reason.

All this noise cannot be good for Macca (and others). We desperately need a new man soon to calm things down.
    On top of that, no sign of any defenders yet and we are already over half way through January.
    Last edited by 1955pie; 16-01-2024 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    This can’t have legs surely? The ONLY way for Warnock to be considered by the Bros is if their preferred man isn’t available until after the season has ended. Even then, would they really want to work with him?
    Why should we wait until the end of the season? Swansea didn't say " We really want Luke but he's under contract until 2027 so we'll wait until the end of the season" So why should we unless we're writing the season off already while sitting in 6th place in the play off. What kind of crazy is that???

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Why should we wait until the end of the season? Swansea didn't say " We really want Luke but he's under contract until 2027 so we'll wait until the end of the season" So why should we unless we're writing the season off already while sitting in 6th place in the play off. What kind of crazy is that???
    Swansea were prepared to pay compensation. Perhaps the man the Bros want will cost? But I don't think so, they will be doing their due diligence and making sure the right person comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Are we going to appoint a new manager this week?

Longer it goes on the less likely it's going to be somebody with experience I would think, as they would likely want to make use of (or at least have some say) in the January ins and outs.
    Maybe our first choice doesn't want to leave his current club mid-season and mid-transfer window?

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Absolutely right. We don't have the squad for Warnock's style and it would be such a waste of all that's been created over the last few seasons in terms of style, identity and attractive, modern footie. Warnock gave us some of the best times we've known a few decades back but let's cherish those fantastic memories and leave them in the past.
    This 100%.

I would be hoping the new manager is installed by the end of next week. I get there might be issues or second choices or negotiations but let's get this done soon please. I'm sure the bros are going as quick as they can though.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Saturday 14th January 1989
    Warnock's first column in the matchday programme

Neil Warnock's Team Talk

NOTTS COUNTY are renowned throughout football as the oldest League club and when the chairman offered me the manager's position, I regarded it as an honour to be joining a club with such great tradition. Inevitably, I suppose, I am still in the process of finding my way around and trying to put names to faces but I realise only too well that the settling in period must be brief.
    It goes without saying that the No.1 priority is to ensure that Notts County avoid the drop to Division Four and we need to get on with the job of pulling clear of the relegation zone as quickly as possible. In many ways, Meadow Lane is a totally new scene for me and I must confess that it's not easy to recall happy memories of my previous visits. During my playing days with a variety of clubs, I hated coming here because I knew in advance that all I would get from the likes of Brian Stubbs and David Needham was plenty of bumps and bruises. The sooner we can get back to the situation where visiting teams are made to realise they are not welcome (for 90 minutes at any rate), the better it will be - and that's a situation I'm keen to recreate.
    No doubt some of you will never have heard of me and maybe you were disappointed that a big-name manager failed to land the job. But I can only ask at this time for help and understanding. I'm not kidding myself. I know that the task I've taken on will not be easy but I assure you that I will be doing everything in my power to earn your respect by giving you something to cheer.
    The result at Swansea last week was disappointing but it was a useful exercise from my point of view. I learned a lot from it - and saw much that encouraged me during the course of the afternoon. I was also made aware of certain problem areas and once I've had chance to assess things more closely during the next few weeks, it could well be that I will be thinking in terms of bringing in a new face or two. Having said that, I'm very fortunate to have inherited the current staff and I'm hoping I can give them the little bit of fresh impetus they need at the moment.
    In my opinion, the difference between the top and bottom clubs is minimal - maybe even a matter of confidence - and although that's a commodity we were lacking at Swansea, I'm hoping the players will show more belief in their ability this afternoon. Nothing would please me more than to get away to a winning start against Blackpool but I know enough about them to realise that we face a tough assignment. Sam Ellis is an old friend and I wish him well. But he will understand when I say that I want our lads to go out this afternoon and really play to their true capabilities.

We were 20th that day in January, finished the season 9th. Promoted the season after, and the season after that.
    HAPPY HAPPY DAYS, An absolute legend.

I don’t for one minute think this is likely, but do think people are a bit too quick to box Warnock up as a manager with one style. He’s just a pragmatist who’ll play whatever way he thinks best suits the players he has - the QPR team he got promoted played some stunning football built around Adel Taarabt, possibly the least stereotypically Warnock player you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    Hoofball and POMO were associated with some very successful managers .
    A certain former England player , European Cup winner and Bundesliga manager rated Graham Taylor as his best ever manager, including Brian Clough.
    Neil Warnock didn't do too badly either.

Wouldn't be the worst thing if Warnock were to mentor Jim O' Brien for the remainder of the campaign.
    Great comment.

There's a difference between hoofball and getting the ball forward quickly. It seems like many mix the two things up. Warnock has always got his teams to move the ball quickly, a bit like Cloughie. I don't think anyone on here would call Cloughie's football, hoofball.

Look at the players Notts had under Warnock. They weren't cloggers, they were footballers. Players like Phil Turner, Mark Draper, Tommy Johnson, Kevin Barlett, Dean Thomas, Charlie Palmer et al were footballers.

Isn't odd how people remember things, the way it suits them.

Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast