+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 47 of 79 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and the Media

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    How the **** are the actions of the Media contributing to people dying? get real FFS!
    Someone woke up pitching a tent

Well there you go...bit of an angry rant (or two) perhaps, but he’s not wrong is he...and he hasn’t lied or libelled anyone (still waiting Tricky).

On a lighter note, nice - and slightly quaint - to hear Andy talking about the ‘wireless’. Takes me back to my childhood, ‘Light, Third and Home Services’ (?) and all that. Suppose with WiFi and Bluetooth it’s actually a more appropriate term now than it was then.

ah but back then there were valves and so no wires either!!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Sorry but thats utter *******s and hersay again! Te NHS has had a real cut in funding over the past 10 years, I take it you have not heard of austerity? These tales of how immigrants are swamping the NHS and resources are just so much baloney. The fact is we have had a falling birthrate for over 25 years, we have an aging population, they are the drain on the NHS, 45% of NHS expenditure and nearly 50% of welfare expenditure is on the over 65's, how do you think this gets paid for if there isn't a workforce paying the tax?

Even japan who are famoulsy anti immigration are having to face the reality that if they don't officially increase migration, there will not be enough people working to support the aging population or indeed the economy.

Anyone who thinks that stopping immigration would cure the issues you have outlined clearly does not have a good grasp of either economics or demographics!

I'm amazed at how people believe this stuff without actually checking the facts.
    You are correct in some aspects of your post Swale, but you should actually check some facts yourself.

Although the government claim a slightly above inflation investment in the NHS, this is not nearly enough to cope with an expanding population, an aging population and the fact that new treatments are being carried out all of the time.

But come on Swale, check your facts. You rightly claim that the birth rate is falling, so tell me where the 10 million increase in population has come from in the last 25 years, if it's not immigrants?

Maybe there are people trees, as well as money trees.

If we'd managed our immigration better, as Germany has with a slight increase of around 1 million, then maybe our NHS, schools, doctors, housing, etc wouldn't have been under such pressure over the years.

It's simple mathematics really.

I would argue that the media have cost lives. There has been so much focus on their pet project of the NHS, that they have diverted the attention away from those who actually ARE more vulnerable.

Male security personnel, bus drivers and a few others have suffered terrible disproportionate deaths, which have largely gone unreported, because of this media frenzy over the NHS.

I suppose that it doesn't make good coverage, to care about some bloke in a uniform standing on a door. Obviously he's less worthy than one of our angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    You are correct in some aspects of your post Swale, but you should actually check some facts yourself.

Although the government claim a slightly above inflation investment in the NHS, this is not nearly enough to cope with an expanding population, an aging population and the fact that new treatments are being carried out all of the time.

But come on Swale, check your facts. You rightly claim that the birth rate is falling, so tell me where the 10 million increase in population has come from in the last 25 years, if it's not immigrants?

Maybe there are people trees, as well as money trees.

If we'd managed our immigration better, as Germany has with a slight increase of around 1 million, then maybe our NHS, schools, doctors, housing, etc wouldn't have been under such pressure over the years.

It's simple mathematics really.
    Ram You are correct in saying we should manage our immigration better . But it's not going to happen because the first thing Johnson did when taking office was to scrap the immigration target Because he knows ( or at least Cummings does) that neither Cameron not May could do it Brexit will make know difference whatsoever the farmers and universities have already proved that

I do wish you’d decide where you want this thread to go, Ram.

You’ve started a good and interesting thread...about ‘Covid 19 and the Media’! All the stuff about managing immigration may be equally worthy but needs to be elsewhere imo.

I’m sticking to the original thread and I don’t agree there’s an argument to say ‘the media have cost lives’.
    The media, however influential, don’t make policy.
    I’ve certainly seen plenty of coverage regarding security and transport personnel and the fact that the majority of the victims have been male.
    Those working for the NHS - not just nurses and doctors - are bound to attract more attention when there is a national health crisis because they are not just in the frontline, they are the workers we depend on to get us through this.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I do wish you’d decide where you want this thread to go, Ram.

You’ve started a good and interesting thread...about ‘Covid 19 and the Media’! All the stuff about managing immigration may be equally worthy but needs to be elsewhere imo.

I’m sticking to the original thread and I don’t agree there’s an argument to say ‘the media have cost lives’.
    The media, however influential, don’t make policy.
    I’ve certainly seen plenty of coverage regarding security and transport personnel and the fact that the majority of the victims have been male.
    Those working for the NHS - not just nurses and doctors - are bound to attract more attention when there is a national health crisis because they are not just in the frontline, they are the workers we depend on to get us through this.
    Hang on RA, Swale makes a ridiculous claim and then slams people for not looking at the facts, when he has just done the same, in the very same post.

I'm not prepared to let such a stupid statement go without reply.

When you say the NHS are the workers we depend on to get us through this crisis, bloody hell, surely the one thing we have learnt, is that we under appreciate many people who are doing menial jobs.

How would we have coped without security guards monitoring the flow of shoppers at the supermarkets. How would the health workers get to work without the bus drivers?

You could argue that the health workers are aware of the dangers involved, whereas the likes of low skilled security men are ignorant of the fact and need someone to protect them.

[QUOTE=Ram59;39495352]I would argue that the media have cost lives. There has been so much focus on their pet project of the NHS, that they have diverted the attention away from those who actually ARE more vulnerable.

Male security personnel, bus drivers and a few others have suffered terrible disproportionate deaths, which have largely gone unreported, because of this media frenzy over the NHS.

I suppose that it doesn't make good coverage, to care about some bloke in a uniform standing on a door. Obviously he's less worthy than one of our angels.[

Ram please tell me your on a windup .The media have cost lives ffs. You clearly have personal vendetta against the BBC and the NHS like any other Tory but that's completely over the top I've seen lots of coverage about deaths of bus and train drivers But it's obvious the media will focus on deaths of the medics and care home personal because there have been over 300 of them You clearly can't stand anyone questioning how this government are handling things

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Hang on RA, Swale makes a ridiculous claim and then slams people for not looking at the facts, when he has just done the same, in the very same post.

I'm not prepared to let such a stupid statement go without reply.

When you say the NHS are the workers we depend on to get us through this crisis, bloody hell, surely the one thing we have learnt, is that we under appreciate many people who are doing menial jobs.

How would we have coped without security guards monitoring the flow of shoppers at the supermarkets. How would the health workers get to work without the bus drivers?

You could argue that the health workers are aware of the dangers involved, whereas the likes of low skilled security men are ignorant of the fact and need someone to protect them.
    I don’t disagree with you at all about security guards and bus drivers...likewise bin men, shop workers and cleaners and I totally agree with you about workers doing ‘menial’ jobs being under appreciated.

I’m also not going to get involved in the Swale/migration thing on this thread...however, I do agree with mista...it makes no sense at all to suggest that the media have ‘cost lives’. They’re simply not in a position to do that and they’ve given coverage to all workers who are in danger, from supermarket till operators to security guards but, in a crisis such as this, NHS workers are inevitably going to be the most ‘newsworthy’.

Page 47 of 79 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)