+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 49 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Close season transfer targets and possible departures...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    My take is that Cal Roberts had a bit of an ego check at Blyth, joined Notts, worked hard and showed real quality. Unfortunately his ego got the better of him, he turned a bit petulant and caused a bit of a rift in the dressing room (free cal anyone?) after coming back from injury not anywhere close to his best.

We did well if we got the rumoured £160k for him, that paid for Langstaff, Austin and Scott.

Nemane might not be as technically gifted as Roberts, but his attitude is far superior and is still a great all round player.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose Nemane
    I agree.

I'd go for Nemane as we know he suits the system and is fit for most games.

Roberts is the more talented but he is injury prone and he has been for a few years now, he doesnt get into this Notts team for me.

Its about the TEAM not a single player.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    But do you think he would be good enough to play in a team challenging for promotion from Div 2 ?
    Nemane? Certainly! His main weapon is pace, and he has tons of it. Pace will hurt any side at any level

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    My take is that Cal Roberts had a bit of an ego check at Blyth, joined Notts, worked hard and showed real quality. Unfortunately his ego got the better of him, he turned a bit petulant and caused a bit of a rift in the dressing room (free cal anyone?) after coming back from injury not anywhere close to his best.

We did well if we got the rumoured £160k for him, that paid for Langstaff, Austin and Scott.

Nemane might not be as technically gifted as Roberts, but his attitude is far superior and is still a great all round player.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose Nemane
    I agree with this. Obviously they play different positions, but with Nemane out of contract I understand the comparison.

The more accurate comparison would be Austin Vs Roberts. As Rodrigues Vs Roberts is no contest on almost every regard.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I agree with this. Obviously they play different positions, but with Nemane out of contract I understand the comparison.

The more accurate comparison would be Austin Vs Roberts. As Rodrigues Vs Roberts is no contest on almost every regard.
    Good question, and I asked myself the same one earlier actually! Although (for me anyway) he hasn’t produced it yet I think Austin has more potential to be a better player than what Roberts is/was. He is two footed, has a much better engine, and can play In more positions than what Cal can too. I saw earlier someone said Austin could play RWB…..think I’d quite like to see that!

Tyler Walker was released by Coventry today. He's probably not a radar type signing, but he was lethal at L2 level for Mansfield a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Tyler Walker was released by Coventry today. He's probably not a radar type signing, but he was lethal at L2 level for Mansfield a few years back.
    He could be a radar type signing. A player with potential who has lost his way and still only 26. Maybe the Championship was too far for him. For me he would be perfect IF Macca is to leave.

Re Cal Roberts: some people have short memories. He was a cracking player for us. I agree that his best work was the season he signed, before his injury, when he was an absolute revelation. After that, he wasn't quite the same player for one reason or another, but he still managed to score double figures from the wing and get people off their seats.

I'd have him back if his mindset was right. Why not?

Hard to compare him to Nemane as they have very different qualities. A more direct comparison would be Jodi Jones, who seems equally good on the ball but scores fewer (at least so far).

Although Cal was excellent before his injury(ies) he never was and never will be a wing back,he was a right winger and didn't want to be anything else.
    Under IB he didn't even want to be a No 10 - certainly did good business selling him
    Nemane could definitely play wing back for a team top end of Division 2 and higher although a fit TAR would make sure they both got plenty of rests.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Re Cal Roberts:
    Hard to compare him to Nemane as they have very different qualities. A more direct comparison would be Jodi Jones, who seems equally good on the ball but scores fewer (at least so far).
    Jodi tends to be played in a slightly deeper position so has less sight of goal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Jodi tends to be played in a slightly deeper position so has less sight of goal.
    I think Jones has pretty much always played as a winger/attacking midfielder, like Roberts, not a wingback. He's more suited to being a wingback than Cal simply because he works harder, but it's still not his natural role. I don't think either could last a full 90 minutes in that positionm.

Page 49 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast