+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: OT a frightening thought

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Funny to me, with all this Trump scares me ****less talk. He has a finger on the button sob.

Can anyone tell me, what if anything, Trump has done involving military action against a foreign power?
    We've seen plenty of words/hot air. In fact he has even managed to cool down some heated hot zones.

Hell fire, I'll go back as far as Jimmy Carter off the top of my head, as being someone authorising military action, that could have started a war.
    But oh no. Trump is a the bigger monster. He upsets the woke brigade and that is far scarier than anything Bush/ Obama did.

He's a clown, who's had his time. Biden will be a new clown in a different way.
    I've fretted more about my cat going missing, than anything Trump has done.
    This from someone who if the USA were unfortunate to ahve him as a citizen, would more than likely be one of the MAGA ****s storming the capitol!

Never mind, you can soon plan your next Thailand trip to take your mind off the conspiracy theories!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    This from someone who if the USA were unfortunate to ahve him as a citizen, would more than likely be one of the MAGA ****s storming the capitol!

Never mind, you can soon plan your next Thailand trip to take your mind off the conspiracy theories!
    Quit with the Thailand thing Swale, proceed on other fronts by all means

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

Of course I would in your head. Perhaps you have been looting with BLM and beating up pensioners?

ps, I will be back in the sunshine in Thailand as soon as I can. At the moment I don't fancy self isolating in Phuket before moving on to my place.

Will you be going back to the Reichstag, errrrrrrrrm I mean Brussels this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    The sooner we're rid of Trump, the better. But do you remember him getting hammered for talking about the 'China Virus', well now our dear friend Merkel is quoted as blaming rising covid cases in Germany, on this 'British Virus'. I wonder if she'll receive the same condemnation as Trump or the political point scoring of the British government when discussing the first vaccines being available in Britain?
    There is also a 2nd, very infectious variant going around that originated in South Africa. The Dutch are referring to them as the British and the South African variants. Can you think of another way to differentiate between them?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    There is also a 2nd, very infectious variant going around that originated in South Africa. The Dutch are referring to them as the British and the South African variants. Can you think of another way to differentiate between them?
    Well put. My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Well put. My thoughts exactly.
    I think you've missed the point. I agree why not use a geographical description - but then why pillory Trump for describing Covid itself as the Chinese virus? This isn't about defending Trump, its about double standards

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I think you've missed the point. I agree why not use a geographical description - but then why pillory Trump for describing Covid itself as the Chinese virus? This isn't about defending Trump, its about double standards
    But is it double standards Andy?

The British and South African variants are thus called to differentiate between them and the original virus.

It's all about opinion, however, mine is that Trump is anti Chinese for whatever reason (possibly because the Chinese have outsmarted the US in business of late) and that, although the use of Chinese Flu is factually correct with regard to its perceived origin, Trump's use of the term (and his use of Kung Flu) were aimed at his "fan base" and meant to be taken as derogatory towards China. In communication it's not just the words that matter. Intention, manner of delivery, facial expressions and other non-verbal signs also count.

Some of you will agree with me, others won't. That's fine.

I disagree. Trump’s description of the ‘China Virus’ was a) accusatory and b) unnecessary...seeing as there was only one virus that we knew of at that time.

It seems that there may now be up to seven variants...the two most clearly identified thus far appear to have originated since September in a) Britain and b) South Africa. There needs to be differentiation in order to react appropriately. How else would you suggest?

P.S. MA and I appear to have posted almost simultaneously...again I entirely agree with him.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 13-01-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    But is it double standards Andy?

The British and South African variants are thus called to differentiate between them and the original virus.

It's all about opinion, however, mine is that Trump is anti Chinese for whatever reason (possibly because the Chinese have outsmarted the US in business of late) and that, although the use of Chinese Flu is factually correct with regard to its perceived origin, Trump's use of the term (and his use of Kung Flu) were aimed at his "fan base" and meant to be taken as derogatory towards China. In communication it's not just the words that matter. Intention, manner of delivery, facial expressions and other non-verbal signs also count.

Some of you will agree with me, others won't. That's fine.
    Yes I can see that, and probably agree, the comments from him I have seen didn't hide his dislike for China very well. Don't see Merkel et al having the balls/consistency to refer to 'The UK (or ZA) strain of the Chinese virus' and that's double standards, basically rooted on dont hit on someone who might hit you back harder

Yes I can see that, and probably agree, the comments from him I have seen didn't hide his dislike for China very well. Don't see Merkel et al having the balls/consistency to refer to 'The UK (or ZA) strain of the Chinese virus' and that's double standards, basically rooted on dont hit on someone who might hit you back harder
    I think it’s you who’ve missed the point, Andy. Either that or you’re being enormously over sensitive
    There are likely to be more of these variants unfortunately...do you actually think people (reporters, politicians, clinicians etc) are going to have the time and inclination to refer to ‘The UK (or ZA) strain of the Chinese virus’, ‘The South African strain of the Chinese virus’, ‘The Californian strain of the Chinese virus’ etc etc. Really?
    No double standards at all...just clarity.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)