+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wba

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Let me start by saying the better side won, no doubt about it.

We weren't in it. Missing experienced players like Wisdom, Lawrence, Waghorn, Bielik and the now departed (Derby not life) Huddlestone the squad was full of kids and we finished the game with EIGHT Academy graduates on the park. That was about the only bright spark of the evening.

We had 59% possession but only 4 shots. None on target. They managed 18 and 7.

They pressed when we had the ball we didn't.

We gave them time on the ball, they gave us nowt. Constantly under pressure and rushed into mistakes.

Hamer - Can't fault him. Not a faultless performance but he didn't cause us problems
    Bogle - Off his game. Where's his speed gone? The crosses? Why did he fail to get back at speed on 4 or 5 occasions. Ball control was less good than usual. The foul for his yellow was unnecessary
    Evans - All too often played into trouble by teammates. Played well
    Clarke - see Evans
    Forsyth - One of our better players, not quite as good as the 2 centre halves
    Bird - Another who was all too often put into difficult situations by a teammate but he still had a decent game
    Shinnie - 4 mistakes in the first 4 minutes and it went downhill from there. I'd have subbed him when he got carded
    Holmes - off the pace from the off and I suspect he had the hamstring issue before the game.
    Rooney - did a lot good but way too many errors for the 3rd game on the spin
    Sibley - Found it hard to get into the game out right. Personally I'd have had him on the left and Holmes on the right. Could have had a yellow for one involvement when the ball was off the park. His red was probably justified because there was a forward motion before he pulled his foot upwards and out of the leglock it was in. Opponents will continue to do this as they know he is likely to do the wrong thing
    Martin - Not his best game but he was isolated quite a lot and rarely got any decent ball.

The ref was, IMO, most definitely a homer. No real issue with Whittaker's yellow as he made a meal of it and that's a yellow. However, early doors 2nd half, he made minimal contact with one of their players who fell over, totally unnecessarily, and all he got was the free kick. This was typical of his decisions. They knock us over and nothing. We look at them too hard and we get carded. I hope Cocu asks the ref, politely, if he would look at the video of the Sibley red. He might just change his mind.

IMO, if we had VAR tonight, their goal may well have been ruled out for offside. Shoulder beyond the last defender.

The one decision that really went in our favour was the Clarke push in the 2nd half. Many a ref would have given the penalty.

As for promotion or the playoffs, still possible but improbable, just as it was 5 games ago. It's certainly no longer in our own hands.
    MA you tell us his red was justified then want the ref to look at it Sorry there's no way that's a red what was the lino doing stood right next to it The lads locked Sibleys leg between his own two legs He was committing the foul the lino should have been flagging that No way has the ref seen it from where he was

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    MA you tell us his red was justified then want the ref to look at it Sorry there's no way that's a red what was the lino doing stood right next to it The lads locked Sibleys leg between his own two legs He was committing the foul the lino should have been flagging that No way has the ref seen it from where he was
    Deffo not a red but the ref was a complete ****!

Well thats the end of our hopes, better teams around who are hitting form, fancy Swansea to get in top 6 myself.

Just as it was getting interesting we seem to have had a run of indiscipline costing us senior players and I'm disgusted with Huddlestone leaving rather than staying to the end of the season, why we brought the greedy, selfish bugger back in the first place I don't know, but I sincerely hope we never ever bring in has beens past their best who were allegedly club legends! They cost more in wages and frankly I'd rather see us recruit players for the future.

One has to query again this manager, player discipline does not seem to be something he has a handle on. We are at best a mid table side and without some changes in players I cannot see that changing next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Do you still get ‘homers’ when there isn’t a crowd, MA?
    Homer - a ref who favours the home side in his decision making. This one did, crowd or no crowd.

IMO last Saturday we had an "Awayer" who was far more stringent towards Derby players than he was towards the Huggers of Trees.

Over the season, I believe we have had more bad refs than good ones and, only on a couple of occasions, have they been biased our way.

Homer - a ref who favours the home side in his decision making. This one did, crowd or no crowd.

IMO last Saturday we had an "Awayer" who was far more stringent towards Derby players than he was towards the Huggers of Trees.

Over the season, I believe we have had more bad refs than good ones and, only on a couple of occasions, have they been biased our way.
    All this (prob justified) slagging of the officials doesn’t excuse the fact that we saw an absolutely clueless performance. If you sat down and watched an edit of the game of just Derby possession you’d struggle to understand what the object of the game was.

I’m glad someone mentioned Bogle, I’ve never especially been a fan but he’s utterly lost it at the mo, not just skill but effort - witness old fellah Rooney charging back to recover a situation in the second half, then just afterwards Bogle lost the ball in midfield and just trotted back as WBA charged forward

I qualified the word justified. I did so because of the forward movement I saw. Movement towards the Baggies' players testicles. If the ref saw that then that will be why he pulled out the red card. Sibley should have appealed to the ref and/or his assistant pointing to the leglock he was in. He should not have done what he did. These are the lessons he needs to learn. The second it happened I said to the wife that he may well get a red. He did. IMO the ref will have seen that forward movement. I agree the Baggies player committed a foul but reaction is always treated more harshly by refs than the original action that led to the reaction. I don't understand why no action was taken against the Baggie. The first foul was his so we should have had the free kick, him a yellow and............ if the ref or his assistant saw the forward movement of the foot then they can justify the red.

That's Sibs season as good as over unless any appeal is upheld as he is banned for the first 3 of the last 4 games. A lost appeal would see him miss all 4. Probably worth a try anyway.

Regardless of what the Baggie did, Sibs got his reaction wrong and, if as I suspect, the ref/assistant/both saw a forward motion then they can point to the video to justify their decision. All opinion. We see what we think we see. I saw a forward motion and used that to form my opinion.

I used to get upended a lot aged 13, 14 and 15 playing for Bass FC in the Burton League. Full backs weren't very happy at getting skinned by a kid and would upend me. I always simply stood up and asked them if that was the best they had. That riled them even more and they tried even harder next time to kick me. It almost always led to them getting a booking and occasionally a sending off. I beat them not only for speed but in the psychological part of the game.

I know what a ‘homer’ is...but it’s usually aimed at refs who allow themselves to be influenced by the more sizeable and vociferous home crowds such as Liverpool’s Kop or the Stretford End. Can’t really see how it’s such a factor when there are no such crowds and the only noise comes from the voices of the two managers and sets of staff bouncing around the empty concrete and plastic bowls we’re now confronted with.

Last night’s officials were, imo, amongst the worst I’ve seen but the sendings off of Lawrence and Waghorn were entirely justified and I think, since about half time against Reading, we seem to have lost our way and, as Andy suggests, failed to understand the object of a game which both Forest and WBA understood completely.

Let’s face it...if we’d lost 1-3 to Forest it would have been a fairer reflection of the game and a 3–0 or 4-0 defeat last night wouldn’t have flattered West Brom. Both matches saw us have the majority of possession but in over 180 minutes of football I think we’ve mustered three efforts on target...says it all really, but what can we expect when we’re missing all but one of our senior forwards and the one we did have spends the evening in ‘head shaking’ mode?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I know what a ‘homer’ is...but it’s usually aimed at refs who allow themselves to be influenced by the more sizeable and vociferous home crowds such as Liverpool’s Kop or the Stretford End. Can’t really see how it’s such a factor when there are no such crowds and the only noise comes from the voices of the two managers and sets of staff bouncing around the empty concrete and plastic bowls we’re now confronted with.

Last night’s officials were, imo, amongst the worst I’ve seen but the sendings off of Lawrence and Waghorn were entirely justified and I think, since about half time against Reading, we seem to have lost our way and, as Andy suggests, failed to understand the object of a game which both Forest and WBA understood completely.

Let’s face it...if we’d lost 1-3 to Forest it would have been a fairer reflection of the game and a 3–0 or 4-0 defeat last night wouldn’t have flattered West Brom. Both matches saw us have the majority of possession but in over 180 minutes of football I think we’ve mustered three efforts on target...says it all really, but what can we expect when we’re missing all but one of our senior forwards and the one we did have spends the evening in ‘head shaking’ mode?

We have been lucky and now the suspensions are biting. Hope Martin is on his way after the season finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Deffo not a red but the ref was a complete ****!

Well thats the end of our hopes, better teams around who are hitting form, fancy Swansea to get in top 6 myself.

Just as it was getting interesting we seem to have had a run of indiscipline costing us senior players and I'm disgusted with Huddlestone leaving rather than staying to the end of the season, why we brought the greedy, selfish bugger back in the first place I don't know, but I sincerely hope we never ever bring in has beens past their best who were allegedly club legends! They cost more in wages and frankly I'd rather see us recruit players for the future.

One has to query again this manager, player discipline does not seem to be something he has a handle on. We are at best a mid table side and without some changes in players I cannot see that changing next season.
    Swales have to agree with all that not sure about Swansea although they do have the momentum at the moment although they have to play Forest Leeds and Bristol Cty yet

I qualified the word justified. I did so because of the forward movement I saw. Movement towards the Baggies' players testicles. If the ref saw that then that will be why he pulled out the red card. Sibley should have appealed to the ref and/or his assistant pointing to the leglock he was in. He should not have done what he did. These are the lessons he needs to learn. The second it happened I said to the wife that he may well get a red. He did. IMO the ref will have seen that forward movement. I agree the Baggies player committed a foul but reaction is always treated more harshly by refs than the original action that led to the reaction. I don't understand why no action was taken against the Baggie. The first foul was his so we should have had the free kick, him a yellow and............ if the ref or his assistant saw the forward movement of the foot then
    That's Sibs season as good as over unless any appeal is upheld as he is banned for the first 3 of the last 4 games. A lost appeal would see him miss all 4. Probably worth a try anyway.

Regardless of what the Baggie did, Sibs got his reaction wrong and, if as I suspect, the ref/assistant/both saw a forward motion then they can point to the video to justify their decision. All opinion. We see what we think we see. I saw a forward motion and used that to form my opinion.

I used to get upended a lot aged 13, 14 and 15 playing for Bass FC in the Burton League. Full backs weren't very happy at getting skinned by a kid and would upend me. I always simply stood up and asked them if that was the best they had. That riled them even more and they tried even harder next time to kick me. It almost always led to them getting a booking and occasionally a sending off. I beat them not only for speed but in the psychological part of the game.
    Watched it four times I can't see any forward motion What I can see us Sibley appealing to the lino and struggling to get his foot out I can also see a defender laughing at him

Watched it four times I can't see any forward motion What I can see us Sibley appealing to the lino and struggling to get his foot out I can also see a defender laughing at him
    Highlights on the DCFC site. Look at 7:10 to 7:20. Half way through you get a view "down the wing". If that isn't a movement towards the guy's testes I need new glasses.............. and I don't need them.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)