+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Next two weeks will show us what ambition this club has.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Sorry, where did I say that anyone shouldn't try???!!! The point is that I trust that Tony and the staff try extremely hard to make the best out of what we can afford, within the constraits we opoerate in, which have been laid out quite clearly on here.

What makes you think that people behind the scenes AREN'T trying? We had success in getting Victor to sign, but others clearly won't for what we can offer. That doesn't mean good efforts weren't/aren't being made. Smith and Ihekwi showed quite clearly what were up against, it's a very tough market, and we're directly up against some very major local competition. For all best efforts, which I am convinced ARE being made, we are still likely to be unsuccessful in many instances. I accept that, trust the staff to work as hard as they can and continue to bring us the relative successes that we have enjoyed in the last decade or so.
    Firstly I didn't say you personally, i was generalising about the discussion board, secondly I didn't say they are not working hard, but working hard is only part of the approach required. You can work hard but at the wrong things, the question is are we working smart. You can always change your approach if the outcomes you are getting are not what you want, this has nothing to do with how hard you work. Obviously any approach has to operate within the constraints you have, as i said in the original post. The people who are the most successful in the world, think outside the box, they push the boundaries and challenge the status quo. Yet again that is not aimed at you persosanlly, I don't know you so i have no idea how you approach challenges in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    Firstly I didn't say you personally, i was generalising about the discussion board, secondly I didn't say they are not working hard, but working hard is only part of the approach required. You can work hard but at the wrong things, the question is are we working smart. You can always change your approach if the outcomes you are getting are not what you want, this has nothing to do with how hard you work. Obviously any approach has to operate within the constraints you have, as i said in the original post. The people who are the most successful in the world, think outside the box, they push the boundaries and challenge the status quo. Yet again that is not aimed at you persosanlly, I don't know you so i have no idea how you approach challenges in your life.
    But what leads you to such a confident conclusion that Scott and the recruitment team aren't already pulling out lots of ideas to try and recruit, but in the main are struggling to beat the competition who are also likely to be trying out their own innovative methods?

What specific innovative, outside of the box strategies, are you thinking of, that we should try? I personally know little about recruitment strategies of different levels of footballer, so tend not to spout on about them in public, but you seem much more knowledgeable about them than me, so please give me some ideas of what we should be doing.

Aren't we still heading towards the Premiership?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    But what leads you to such a confident conclusion that Scott and the recruitment team aren't already pulling out lots of ideas to try and recruit, but in the main are struggling to beat the competition who are also likely to be trying out their own innovative methods?

What specific innovative, outside of the box strategies, are you thinking of, that we should try? I personally know little about recruitment strategies of different levels of footballer, so tend not to spout on about them in public, but you seem much more knowledgeable about them than me, so please give me some ideas of what we should be doing.
    Not everything is black and white.
    If you challenge anything then you get the usual it’s what we are we can’t do any better.
    Of course people are working hard.
    If the current let’s just go season to season and try and get promoted/ Stay up is what is the plan then ok.
    What’s our identity?
    Style of play?
    Strategy to bridge the funding gap?
    PW had a way of playing its the closest we had to a strategy of playing a certain way. He could only get so far and at times wasn’t great to watch but did he have a choice to do it any other way?
    Now we’re a team full of square pegs in round holes.
    Little pace up front.
    No wingers.
    Aging defence
    It makes you appreciate the job PW did under the circumstances.
    I don’t believe there is enough football knowledge within the club just my opinion.
    Derby miller and mellow are correct this we’re trying and can’t do any better is going to get us where we are now.
    If that’s what the club are then so be it.
    Surely though this season should be a wake up call that we’ve regressed on and off the pitch.
    TS imo will be looking to get out soon.
    He’s been a saviour and I wouldn’t blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    Not everything is black and white.
    If you challenge anything then you get the usual it’s what we are we can’t do any better.
    Of course people are working hard.
    If the current let’s just go season to season and try and get promoted/ Stay up is what is the plan then ok.
    What’s our identity?
    Style of play?
    Strategy to bridge the funding gap?
    PW had a way of playing its the closest we had to a strategy of playing a certain way. He could only get so far and at times wasn’t great to watch but did he have a choice to do it any other way?
    Now we’re a team full of square pegs in round holes.
    Little pace up front.
    No wingers.
    Aging defence
    It makes you appreciate the job PW did under the circumstances.
    I don’t believe there is enough football knowledge within the club just my opinion.
    Derby miller and mellow are correct this we’re trying and can’t do any better is going to get us where we are now.
    If that’s what the club are then so be it.
    Surely though this season should be a wake up call that we’ve regressed on and off the pitch.
    TS imo will be looking to get out soon.
    He’s been a saviour and I wouldn’t blame him.
    I completely agree with that summary Pocket.
    I will always be grateful to TS for saving the club and building a magnificent new stadium but we can't keep looking back and saying the same things.
    There doesn't seem to be any clear strategy aimed at developing the club even though the chairman said that lessons had been learned and we were now better equipped to compete in the Championship. Clearly that's not the case.
    It's not just the events of this season either because it feels as though we've been stuck in a time warp and going round in circles for a few years now.
    Like you, I also get the feeling that TS may have had enough and would possibly consider selling up if he could find the right buyer because he probably thinks he's taken the club as far as he can.
    As supporters we have to be careful what we wish for but it will be interesting to see if there are any developments in the coming months.

Interesting

But if anybody purchased the club how could they make things any better?

Obviously money could be thrown at it but any investor would want a return which means it would be like gambling on a roulette wheel. They would only get a return if the club is successful

Developing other income streams are limited as most of the easy ones have been exploited already

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Interesting

But if anybody purchased the club how could they make things any better?

Obviously money could be thrown at it but any investor would want a return which means it would be like gambling on a roulette wheel. They would only get a return if the club is successful

Developing other income streams are limited as most of the easy ones have been exploited already
    Interesting indeed but you're assuming we would only attract a particular type of buyer.
    I know I've mentioned this elsewhere but what if there happened to be a "Bournemouth type" prospective owner out there.
    I don't know whether that would be a good or bad thing but it would sure make the rollercoaster a lot more lively 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Interesting indeed but you're assuming we would only attract a particular type of buyer.
    I know I've mentioned this elsewhere but what if there happened to be a "Bournemouth type" prospective owner out there.
    I don't know whether that would be a good or bad thing but it would sure make the rollercoaster a lot more lively ��
    Did the location of Bournemouth as a town (in the more affluent south) actually have a significant role in them being bought though. Would they have bought them if they'd been a northern club?

If you're a billionaire, where would you rather spend your Saturdays?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I don't know whether that would be a good or bad thing but it would sure make the rollercoaster a lot more lively 🙂
    It's the hope that kills you.

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    Did the location of Bournemouth as a town (in the more affluent south) actually have a significant role in them being bought though. Would they have bought them if they'd been a northern club?

If you're a billionaire, where would you rather spend your Saturdays?
    I've seen that suggestion before Masbrough but I really doubt if it was a consideration for a billionaire.
    Interestingly Bournemouth's stadium is smaller than NYS and the planned new one will only have a capacity of around 18000 and yet they're quite well established in the PL.
    On the face of it the possibilities for developing our stadium and the surrounding area are logistically more advanced and there are some superb properties only a few miles away from our rundown northern town.......so you never know 🤔

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast