+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: OT - the current crisis

He understand fully
    My point is, this country has folks gluing themselves to roads and certain politicians obsessed by the green route only, whilst prices continue to rocket.
    Yet here we are with Russia, just burning gas to atmosphere as part of a political spat.
    I'm sure Greta will be doing a speech slagging Russia off very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    That sounds like an invitation
    In Burton on the first trip. Final ever Burton Grammar School Old Boys dinner. The OB association was wound up and this "last hurrah" was planned and then cancelled due to the Corona measures. Happening in a week and a half... I'll be in Burton Town centre on the Monday lunchtime... if there are any pubs open, that is.

Cheltenham game I shall be in the Brunswick pre game. Saturday evening I'll be at the 76 Club reunion gig in Burton Market Hall. Not definite yet but I might be doing an hour of double decking with one of the other DJs. Still to be confirmed. If I do do the DD set, it will be a 60s and 70s rock set
    Last edited by MadAmster; 31-08-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    He understand fully
    My point is, this country has folks gluing themselves to roads and certain politicians obsessed by the green route only, whilst prices continue to rocket.
    Yet here we are with Russia, just burning gas to atmosphere as part of a political spat.
    I'm sure Greta will be doing a speech slagging Russia off very soon.
    I ‘understand fully’ the wastefulness and harmfulness of the Russian actions as far as both the cost of fuel and damage to the environment are concerned.
    What I don’t understand at all is your cheap shot at those concerned about climate change via your ‘green worshippers’ and ‘Greta’ comments.
    I’d have thought that the evidence...whether it be dried up UK reservoirs, drought ridden Andalusian olive farms or the catastrophic floods in Pakistan...is there to make even sceptics such as you realise that something’s seriously wrong.
    I recognise that the current situation does no short term favours to those who actively support a ‘greener future’ however I doubt it helps anyone to abandon those policies completely or to talk patronisingly about ‘green worshippers’ as if they are some sort of cult.

But that is exactly what it is, " a cult", as described by many analysts in many debate columns.

The drive to go 100% green by folks like May listening to zealots, is half the reason folks are going to struggle to have any heat this winter.
    The green plan seems to have abandoned any common sense and now its pants firmly around ankles.
    They also target the few countries such as ours, genuinely trying to improve whilst ignoring the real big offenders.

Ms Thunberg has a particular disdain for the UK and Europe as a whole, but she is merely the mouth piece of this new religion.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/g...-a4124336.html

Net result is, the Uk can't deal with peak energy anymore as the wind doesn't blow(strange that), the sun don't shine much here(strange that), the nuclear programme is seriously lagging and so gas prices go ballistic effecting everything.

Yet we are taxed for it and have to pay extortion prices for what we do use.
    Now you RA spend most of your time slating the Tories for the poor suffering, yet you think this is ok?

I certainly don't and refuse to pray at the green altar of stupidity.
    This rush for net zero has been a white wash from the word go.
    That was the point of my last post. Here we are getting raped with prices, yet Russia is burning gas to heat the sky around them, for sweet fa.

RE READ YOUR BIBLE.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...obal-phase-out

The original source of the Thames has dried up. Fortunately other streams and rivers that flow to create the river Thames still have water so the Thames survives for now. Rivers in Germany are currently so low that, on some of them, the cargo boats can no longer navigate them. Pakistan has just had more rain in 3 days than they would normally get "in 3 times 30 years". Not sure why they didn't just say "90 years" but there you go.

The climate HAS changed an awful lot from when I was a kid. We had 4 explicit seasons on which you could rely. Give or take a couple of weeks, they started at the same time each year and finished at the same time each year. Yes, there were variations, some summers would be hotter than others, some winters harsher than others but for 3 months you got that varying level of whatever season it was supposed to be. The 10 hottest years on record are ALL in the past 22 years. We are getting a mish mash of weather, not always relevant to what season it's supposed to be. For the 2nd time in 3 years we have had BBQ weather from March/April and we've had it almost constantly. It's expected to go on to the end of September or even into October with maybe the odd wet spell. When it rains it's a torrential downpour. When it's windy it's gale force 8. Whatever the weather of the day is, it's generally extreme rather than what one might expect for the "season".

Those thinking that there is NO climate change need to do 2 things IMO. First visit the optician to get new glasses befitting the standard of their eyesight and then visit a psychiatrist for a check up from the neck up.

Everywhere in the world is getting hotter this, wetter that, monsoons and tornadoes and hurricanes etc are all way more violent than they used to be. Has the weather followed politics or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The original source of the Thames has dried up. Fortunately other streams and rivers that flow to create the river Thames still have water so the Thames survives for now. Rivers in Germany are currently so low that, on some of them, the cargo boats can no longer navigate them. Pakistan has just had more rain in 3 days than they would normally get "in 3 times 30 years". Not sure why they didn't just say "90 years" but there you go.

The climate HAS changed an awful lot from when I was a kid. We had 4 explicit seasons on which you could rely. Give or take a couple of weeks, they started at the same time each year and finished at the same time each year. Yes, there were variations, some summers would be hotter than others, some winters harsher than others but for 3 months you got that varying level of whatever season it was supposed to be. The 10 hottest years on record are ALL in the past 22 years. We are getting a mish mash of weather, not always relevant to what season it's supposed to be. For the 2nd time in 3 years we have had BBQ weather from March/April and we've had it almost constantly. It's expected to go on to the end of September or even into October with maybe the odd wet spell. When it rains it's a torrential downpour. When it's windy it's gale force 8. Whatever the weather of the day is, it's generally extreme rather than what one might expect for the "season".

Those thinking that there is NO climate change need to do 2 things IMO. First visit the optician to get new glasses befitting the standard of their eyesight and then visit a psychiatrist for a check up from the neck up.

Everywhere in the world is getting hotter this, wetter that, monsoons and tornadoes and hurricanes etc are all way more violent than they used to be. Has the weather followed politics or vice versa?
    No ones denying anything hasn't changed.
    However, whilst granny here can't afford to put the fire on, we have idiots gluing themselves to roads and polticians who are incompetant.

I think the screaming should be directed elesewhere, until they catch up.

https://victor-mochere.com/top-10-la...s-in-the-world

But that is exactly what it is, " a cult",
    I’m sorry...we’ve disagreed about many things over the years Tricky...Brexit, Black Lives Matter, Johnson, Farage etc, but this latest comment is complete idiocy.
    Personally I’m nowhere near as ‘Green’ as I should be...I like my cars too much, my house is kept warm by oil (and wood), I fly too much and I don’t always take as much care in certain ways as I should.
    I’m no expert, and I’ll even accept that, in the short term, I can see a scenario where more use of fossil fuels may, very sadly, become temporarily necessary. However for you to dismiss those warning of climate change and the need for greener energy sources as a ‘cult’ defies all rational explanation and is sheer stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m sorry...we’ve disagreed about many things over the years Tricky...Brexit, Black Lives Matter, Johnson, Farage etc, but this latest comment is complete idiocy.
    Personally I’m nowhere near as ‘Green’ as I should be...I like my cars too much, my house is kept warm by oil (and wood), I fly too much and I don’t always take as much care in certain ways as I should.
    I’m no expert, and I’ll even accept that, in the short term, I can see a scenario where more use of fossil fuels may, very sadly, become temporarily necessary. However for you to dismiss those warning of climate change and the need for greener energy sources as a ‘cult’ defies all rational explanation and is sheer stupidity.
    We will disagree.
    Lets take Swales description of WOKE.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with being woke.
    But it is hijacked by the zealots in that melee as well.
    So the actual meaning gets lost.

The Green zealots have their "cult" where they are determined to turn the UK into the stone age.
    These same people scream at the government for the prices of energy, yet don't want it used in balance with what people can afford.
    They have a very nice habit, of protesting and screaming at western governments who actually are trying.
    Never a scream at Chine/Russia/India/USA.

So no, cult sounds perfectly descriptive to me.

The Green zealots have their "cult" where they are determined to turn the UK into the stone age.
    These same people scream at the government for the prices of energy, yet don't want it used in balance with what people can afford.
    They have a very nice habit, of protesting and screaming at western governments who actually are trying.
    Never a scream at Chine/Russia/India/USA.

So no, cult sounds perfectly descriptive to me.
    You keep saying it, Tricky. Won’t make it sound any less foolish...and perhaps people in the UK and Europe try and influence policy in those areas because they have a little more chance than in the likes of ‘China, Russia, India and the USA’ where they have no influence whatsoever.

You think concern for Green issues and the environment is nothing more than a ‘cult’ led by ‘zealots’? Sorry, I have nothing left to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You keep saying it, Tricky. Won’t make it sound any less foolish...and perhaps people in the UK and Europe try and influence policy in those areas because they have a little more chance than in the likes of ‘China, Russia, India and the USA’ where they have no influence whatsoever.

You think concern for Green issues and the environment is nothing more than a ‘cult’ led by ‘zealots’? Sorry, I have nothing left to say.
    Well I'm glad your happy, that Granny Bloggs in her pokey flat, is safe in the knowledge that tiddles/a hot water bottle but no gas, makes her suffering all the more worth it.
    Good on yer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)