+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Unfit players

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    There are many ex players far better than Eddie ever was, who are far better qualified and have failed. Edwards may well be fit now and that's great, does that make him a good fitness coach? In footballing terms I think he was average, couldn't play in a passing team, never looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, that's why Lee was brought in to replace him.
    Haha yes, Lee who spent the entire season playing along side Eddy and then was replaced himself the season after by Chilvers whilst Eddy remained in the team... But he was after all, Edward's replacement, surprised you didn't say that a 16 year old Hollis should have been playing instead of him. You really are a numpty, no one is saying Edwards was the greatest defender ever, what people are saying is that he was a model professional who gave his all for this club. He also has a degree is sport science and kept our team fit, making him more qualified than you, who seemingly thinks youth players who have gone on to play semi pro football should be in the football league. I mean, if you were that knowledgeable, why aren't you at a club picking all of these gems up that we just brush away, and why is no one else picking them up?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... Eddie was effective. He may not have possessed the skills some have but his understanding and reading of the game was excellent; which is why he lasted so long and could be relied upon when other defenders around him failed.
    Quite right, What he lacked in speed was made up for in his positional sense. His experience told him where to expect the ball be played, and there he stood, while others ran around, Eddie took the ball into space or cleared it.

There are many ex players far better than Eddie ever was, who are far better qualified and have failed. Edwards may well be fit now and that's great, does that make him a good fitness coach? In footballing terms I think he was average, couldn't play in a passing team, never looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, that's why Lee was brought in to replace him.
    So, despite your degree (where from seeing as you are so anxious to mention it) you struggle to write and understand English. 'Well thought of' does not equate to 'best', it means - err, 'well thought of' and there will be many reasons other than sheer ability. Loyalty etc count as well, as does the fact that pretty much every CB seemed to improve with Eddie alongside (Pierce was twice the player with Eddie next door). Eddie may not have been the most skilful but, as others have said his footballing intelligence, bravery, and commitment to the 'team' ethic got him through. There is every indication that he would contribute to the game after stopping playing.

How can McCulloch (my all time fave player) be God when he wasn't as good as The Don?

Quote Originally Posted by them0uf View Post
    So, despite your degree (where from seeing as you are so anxious to mention it) you struggle to write and understand English. 'Well thought of' does not equate to 'best', it means - err, 'well thought of' and there will be many reasons other than sheer ability. Loyalty etc count as well, as does the fact that pretty much every CB seemed to improve with Eddie alongside (Pierce was twice the player with Eddie next door). Eddie may not have been the most skilful but, as others have said his footballing intelligence, bravery, and commitment to the 'team' ethic got him through. There is every indication that he would contribute to the game after stopping playing.

How can McCulloch (my all time fave player) be God when he wasn't as good as The Don?
    We need someone like Steady Eddie right now!

I think you will find Lee was bought in to play along side him. And every manager who left him out realised our important he was and had to eat humble pie and bring him back into the team.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345