+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: ot - Climate change protestors

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    How many of these tree bothering hugging saddos also drive around in non-eco friendly transport ?.

Like you say Animal, this issue feels more serious for the future generations, for those who have kids and grand kids etc. But for me and others as well like me who don't have any of those priorities, Im finding it harder and harder to actually give a damn anymore on this subject.
    Now then……
    I’m going to poke the tiger……….

This is a proper question…. Not meant to be nasty…. Or political, Provocative or judgemental in ANY WAY…….
    There is a good few on here who have fought to preserve Neighbourhoods industry , traditions and villages……and I respect that…TOTALLY…….
    With the evidence that we have now as regards Climate change ……. And as Animal has said (and I have two granddaughters under a year old , so I appreciate his Love for his family, ans their futures…..
    would the fight for jobs in the Mining industry be as strong NOW, … (knowing the evidence we have that the damage the Fossil fuels do to our environment) as it was in the strikes….

And I STRESS………. THIS ISNT a criticism of the strike, or it’s people.

Its a tough one Jules mate, and I suppose we all have got to be careful what we think or post these days, and this applies to any subject really.

Btw, when you were talking about poking the tiger, I thought stop poking and prodding that Cas rugby league fan ehh, what has he ever done to you ?.

Climate change comments ….
    IMO it’s 100 x worse than Covid.
    And that’s probably an underestimate of how serious the problem is.
    There’s a theory that along with the Arab Spring it was responsible for the Syrian war.
    Millions of people are already on the move.
    And it’s going to get worse.

As I’ve mentioned in an earlier thread - I’m in Dhaka at the moment - where you rarely see the sun as there is a permanent haze of pollution.
    And flying into Dhaka there are whole areas of farm fields that are already underwater.
    165 million people live in this country that’s just above sea level - what happens if they have to move?
    Where do they go?
    The Hindu’s of India won’t want them.
    There’s a huge conflict waiting to happen there.

Climate change is now headline news - but birders (which I am) have been noticing something very strange taking place in our environment for the last 40 years or more.
    For example - birds that were once only found in the Mediterranean region are now piling into Britain.
    Wild birds are showing us a major event is taking place.
    That in itself is scary.

Coal Mining.
    Thatcher did us all a favour when she shut the pits.
    But she didn’t do it for climate change - she did it for hatred of the NUM - leaving large swathes of the country without any hope.

Humans - especially in the westernised countries - have isolated themselves from their environment.
    We live in centrally heated houses and drive heated cars.
    We are cocooned in our own air conditioned world.
    Consequently we don’t detect the slight changes taking place in our environment year on year.

Its a tough one Jules mate, and I suppose we all have got to be careful what we think or post these days, and this applies to any subject really.

Btw, when you were talking about poking the tiger, I thought stop poking and prodding that Cas rugby league fan ehh, what has he ever done to you ?.
    Summats not reyt , nowt decided afta a fottnit of talks , let's do it all ageeun in Spring ! Carnt beat a good catchup blah blah blah, ,,

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Now then……

This is a proper question…. Not meant to be nasty…. Or political, Provocative or judgemental in ANY WAY…….
    There is a good few on here who have fought to preserve Neighbourhoods industry , traditions and villages……and I respect that…TOTALLY…….
    With the evidence that we have now as regards Climate change ……. And as Animal has said (and I have two granddaughters under a year old , so I appreciate his Love for his family, ans their futures…..
    would the fight for jobs in the Mining industry be as strong NOW, … (knowing the evidence we have that the damage the Fossil fuels do to our environment) as it was in the strikes….

It's an interesting point Jules .

My personal view is that yes fine shut the mining industry down under the climate change narrative .

But I wouldn't be the sacrificial lamb either so I'd want to equally see the petroleum producers shut down or anything else that pollutes the world including air travel etc etc .

I’m wanted to post a question without insulting people who suffered and fought for their families in the strike, but I would never say or think the words that Nudge just posted……. I’m not in anyway thinking someone “did us a favour” …..

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Climate change comments ….
    IMO it’s 100 x worse than Covid.
    And that’s probably an underestimate of how serious the problem is.
    There’s a theory that along with the Arab Spring it was responsible for the Syrian war.
    Millions of people are already on the move.
    And it’s going to get worse.

As I’ve mentioned in an earlier thread - I’m in Dhaka at the moment - where you rarely see the sun as there is a permanent haze of pollution.
    And flying into Dhaka there are whole areas of farm fields that are already underwater.
    165 million people live in this country that’s just above sea level - what happens if they have to move?
    Where do they go?
    The Hindu’s of India won’t want them.
    There’s a huge conflict waiting to happen there.

Climate change is now headline news - but birders (which I am) have been noticing something very strange taking place in our environment for the last 40 years or more.
    For example - birds that were once only found in the Mediterranean region are now piling into Britain.
    Wild birds are showing us a major event is taking place.
    That in itself is scary.

Coal Mining.
    Thatcher did us all a favour when she shut the pits.
    But she didn’t do it for climate change - she did it for hatred of the NUM - leaving large swathes of the country without any hope.

Humans - especially in the westernised countries - have isolated themselves from their environment.
    We live in centrally heated houses and drive heated cars.
    We are cocooned in our own air conditioned world.
    Consequently we don’t detect the slight changes taking place in our environment year on year.
    Was it essential you flew to Bangladesh Nudge ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Now then……

You raise a very interesting point & you have put it well , I was one of the striking miners in 1984/5 & to be honest in my eyes our reasons were entirely justified but my knowledge of climate change & global warming was virtually zilch , but with the best part of 40 years of gradually grasping the knowledge & reality of what is happening the penny has finally dropped with me & I feel sure it will be the same for many others who went through the same , I think todays generation will continue to beat the drum for change but whether its going to happen universally the cynic in me says no & the world will continue to pee in the wind . I hope I am wrong & the planet starts to see a reversal if not it is looking bleak for our future generations .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    You raise a very interesting point & you have put it well , I was one of the striking miners in 1984/5 & to be honest in my eyes our reasons were entirely justified but my knowledge of climate change & global warming was virtually zilch , but with the best part of 40 years of gradually grasping the knowledge & reality of what is happening the penny has finally dropped with me & I feel sure it will be the same for many others who went through the same , I think todays generation will continue to beat the drum for change but whether its going to happen universally the cynic in me says no & the world will continue to pee in the wind . I hope I am wrong & the planet starts to see a reversal if not it is looking bleak for our future generations .
    It's only going to happen if every single nation on the planet is on the same page .

Do I see heavyweights like China on the same page with their giant economy ?

Unfortunately no .

The world spins on money and it always will .

You are spot on Animal , we are singing from the same page , I simply do not see the big hitters of China & Russia ever playing ball & I also see others such as India & Brazil as being less than enthusiastic, however the youth of the planet have taken the gauntlet & one thing I have learnt is to never under estimate the power of youth , the thing is my friend we will never know .

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast