+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ashling & Sutton Streets (behind the main stand)

No, although the old Victoria tunnel ran very close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post
    You didn't imagine it, I recall it well and used that tunnel at the corner of the Kop and Country Road Stand many a time. As you came out pitchside there was a large gate which they opened at the end of the game to allow people out.

The gate on Mansfield Road is familiar to me as a friend was brought up in that house. Down there is a large man-made cavern which was used as a WW2 air-raid shelter. There are sand mines all the way up Mansfield Road to Gallows Hill. The Rock Cemetery shows the remains of some of these.

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/thread...-12-2006.6445/
    Fascinating reading, thanks for that, and for confirming the tunnel. I started going to games in 1977, so it sounds like it would have been there until they concreted the Kop in 1980.

While we’re taking a trip down memory lane, does anyone know when segregation was officially introduced at Notts?

Also, when did away travel actually became a thing that fans did, presumably on organised bus/train services? I’d love to know when the first “football special” for Notts was, and also when they ended. I can remember going on quite a few in the early 80s, up till about 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    While we’re taking a trip down memory lane, does anyone know when segregation was officially introduced at Notts?

Also, when did away travel actually became a thing that fans did, presumably on organised bus/train services? I’d love to know when the first “football special” for Notts was, and also when they ended. I can remember going on quite a few in the early 80s, up till about 1984.
    Segregation - I think the whole of the Kop was made away fans only after the Man Utd riot in 1975, then it was split into five sections in 1980.

Away travel - There was a report in 1885 claiming there were 8,000 Notts fans at the FA Cup Quarter-final replay against Queens Park held at Derbyshire Cricket Ground, who must have got there by train.

I think there were many bus/coach loads of thousands of Notts fans who went to the 1948 FA Cup tie at Birmingham City, a 53,000 attendance and we won 2-0. Then typical of Notts they went and lost to 3rd tier south Swindon in the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Segregation - I think the whole of the Kop was made away fans only after the Man Utd riot in 1975, then it was split into five sections in 1980.

Away travel - There was a report in 1885 claiming there were 8,000 Notts fans at the FA Cup Quarter-final replay against Queens Park held at Derbyshire Cricket Ground, who must have got there by train.

I think there were many bus/coach loads of thousands of Notts fans who went to the 1948 FA Cup tie at Birmingham City, a 53,000 attendance and we won 2-0. Then typical of Notts they went and lost to 3rd tier south Swindon in the next round.
    Thanks for that. Pretty sure Notts fans were allowed on the Kop when I started going circa 1977, because I remember standing there and seeing us beat Southampton 3-1. Would away fans have been in the old Meadow Lane stand at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Thanks for that. Pretty sure Notts fans were allowed on the Kop when I started going circa 1977, because I remember standing there and seeing us beat Southampton 3-1. Would away fans have been in the old Meadow Lane stand at that time?

Because of where the main stand standing area was, I think the Meadow Lane end was always considered to be the favoured home end, so I wouldn't have thought away fans were ever placed there. It did become a designated family/kids area after the section at the back was torn down.

It could be that the Kop being an away fans area was a loose arrangement only properly enforced - or enforced at all - when a club like Chelsea visited. If somebody's got a programme from April/May 1976 it might tell us if season tickets were available for the Kop or not for the following season. The Man Utd riot might have come too late in the day to make any changes for 1975/76, but going by what people have said it did happen eventually., It does make logical sense, but maybe it didn't happen until as late as 1979.

Sorry I'm late coming to this great thread really interesting reading...My Dads sister my Aunt Rose and Uncle Jim lived on Sutton Street can't remember which number...On match day my dad, Uncle Jim and my grandad would meet in the The Globe, think it was called the Greyhound back then, I was made to stand outside with my Smiths crisps with the blue salt twisty packed inside and bottle of Vimto...Aunt Rose would make me potted dog door step sandwiches to take to the match...
    Uncle Jim worked at Turner Brothers on Trent Bridge, although he came to the match with us he was a red, Granddad never did like him..

Footnote: I used to leave my Davenport Beer at Home wooden beer crate and football rattle at Aunt Rose to take down the match and stand in the Kop...

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Sorry I'm late coming to this great thread really interesting reading...My Dads sister my Aunt Rose and Uncle Jim lived on Sutton Street can't remember which number...On match day my dad, Uncle Jim and my grandad would meet in the The Globe, think it was called the Greyhound back then, I was made to stand outside with my Smiths crisps with the blue salt twisty packed inside and bottle of Vimto...Aunt Rose would make me potted dog door step sandwiches to take to the match...
    Uncle Jim worked at Turner Brothers on Trent Bridge, although he came to the match with us he was a red, Granddad never did like him..

Footnote: I used to leave my Davenport Beer at Home wooden beer crate and football rattle at Aunt Rose to take down the match and stand in the Kop...
    Brilliant memories Wedgie! Very evocative.

Because of where the main stand standing area was, I think the Meadow Lane end was always considered to be the favoured home end, so I wouldn't have thought away fans were ever placed there. It did become a designated family/kids area after the section at the back was torn down.

It could be that the Kop being an away fans area was a loose arrangement only properly enforced - or enforced at all - when a club like Chelsea visited. If somebody's got a programme from April/May 1976 it might tell us if season tickets were available for the Kop or not for the following season. The Man Utd riot might have come too late in the day to make any changes for 1975/76, but going by what people have said it did happen eventually., It does make logical sense, but maybe it didn't happen until as late as 1979.
    I think you’re right about 79 - just checked back and I see we played West Ham in Oct. 79. I turned up for the game with a mate, went on the Kop, because that’s where I’d always gone, and was surprised to see it was for West Ham fans. We quickly got transferred to the Main Stand. Presumably the Kop split between home and away fans came the following season.

Meadow Lane End was always the end that the ''singers'' used to congregate when I was a lad. Strangely enough in those days we always seemed to to favour attacking the 'Kop end'' in the 1st half.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast