+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Rip off price of petrol and diesel

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    I don't have to,I already know the truth,and have in fact refuted everything he has said. Electric cars do NOT weigh 50% more than petrol or diesel cars. The don't run on silent mode looking for innocents to kill. They don't go on fire more than petrol or diesel cars.

These are all lies peddled by Islay on this post.

Any ferry that is concerned about an extra bit of weight in a car is a ferry I won't go on. They sail with weight limits set to ensure they are well within tolerances, and they know what the tolerances are. If Islay can show any evidence of a ferry sinking because of electric cars,I would be happy to apologise,and change my view. That's mot going to happen though because Islay doesn't care about evidence,only what popped into his head 5 minutes ago.

He has made zero attempts to refute what I say,instead he just tells us about emails he sent,as if that is evidence of him being right.

He is not right,he is absolutely 100% wrong.

Now if that means he wins,I couldn't care less. He is still 100% wrong.
    You would soon change your tune if your car was sitting underneath the mezzanine deck on one of the large Calmac ferries and the mezzanine deck collapsed on top of your car because the Calmac staff loading the mezzanine deck said that a poster on Dundee Mad called Grantzer says that this increased weight for electric cars is a lot of nonsense.
    It is more than a passing coincidence that several large Calmac car ferries have been taken out of service since the beginning of 2022 to repair their existing fire fighting equipment.
    I also previously posted that Calmac ferries are in dialogue with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) about the possibility of an electric vehicle combusting on board one of their ferries.
    It must be a problem otherwise the management of Calmac and the MCA would have dismissed these concerns as scaremongering and ignored them.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    You would soon change your tune if your car was sitting underneath the mezzanine deck on one of the large Calmac ferries and the mezzanine deck collapsed on top of your car because the Calmac staff loading the mezzanine deck said that a poster on Dundee Mad called Grantzer says that this increased weight for electric cars is a lot of nonsense.
    It is more than a passing coincidence that several large Calmac car ferries have been taken out of service since the beginning of 2022 to repair their existing fire fighting equipment.
    I also previously posted that Calmac ferries are in dialogue with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) about the possibility of an electric vehicle combusting on board one of their ferries.
    It must be a problem otherwise the management of Calmac and the MCA would have dismissed these concerns as scaremongering and ignored them.
    They are in discussions.... so the discussions are, " are electric cars more likely to go on fire?"...."no".

They are not full of petrol,which I believe is a highly combustible material,although they are electric. That is the same technology that works mobile phones which are well known for not exploding in people's pockets.

The fire fighting systems are being repaired....not replaced, repaired....

And again,if the deck can handle land rovers,it can handle electric cars.

You need to stop adding 2+2 and getting 3589765409853......

And maybe accept that you may just be wrong......again

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    EV's seem to weigh 30% more than their equivalent ICE. The expectation is that this difference will reduce as improvements in battery technology take place.
    There is another problem with electric vehicles which has conveniently being ignored by the climate change experts.
    On 3rd October 2020 we took a taxi for a meal in the Ship Inn Broughty Ferry.
    It was an electric powered taxi and I asked the driver if he preferred it to a petrol or diesel powered taxi.
    The taxi driver told me that he liked his electric powered taxi but there were some problems.
    The taxi driver explained that when he had to put on his headlights and the heater in his taxi it reduced the number of miles that he could drive between charges of the large batteries in his electric powered taxi.
    He then told me that the number of miles he could travel on a full charge has reduced as his taxi has got older.
    Anyone purchasing a new electric powered vehicle is going to get the full number of miles on each charge, whereas someone purchasing a 3 year old second hand electric powered vehicle is going to notice a reduction in the number of miles travelled between charges compared to the manufacturer’s listed figures.
    I can see these electric powered vehicles being scrapped a lot sooner than petrol or diesel powered vehicles because people cannot afford the cost of replacing these large batteries when they are unable to hold their charges.
    I have previously read that the large batteries in today’s electric powered cars only last a maximum of ten yoears before they have to be replaced.
    Hopefully some ‘expert’ on this site will be able supply the expected shelf life of a large battery in an electric powered vehicle in the U.K.
    The batteries in laptops, IPads and iPhones do not last forever and the batteries in electric powered cars will likely be the same,

There is another problem with electric vehicles which has conveniently being ignored by the climate change experts.
    On 3rd October 2020 we took a taxi for a meal in the Ship Inn Broughty Ferry.
    It was an electric powered taxi and I asked the driver if he preferred it to a petrol or diesel powered taxi.
    The taxi driver told me that he liked his electric powered taxi but there were some problems.
    The taxi driver explained that when he had to put on his headlights and the heater in his taxi it reduced the number of miles that he could drive between charges of the large batteries in his electric powered taxi.
    He then told me that the number of miles he could travel on a full charge has reduced as his taxi has got older.
    Anyone purchasing a new electric powered vehicle is going to get the full number of miles on each charge, whereas someone purchasing a 3 year old second hand electric powered vehicle is going to notice a reduction in the number of miles travelled between charges compared to the manufacturer’s listed figures.
    I can see these electric powered vehicles being scrapped a lot sooner than petrol or diesel powered vehicles because people cannot afford the cost of replacing these large batteries when they are unable to hold their charges.
    I have previously read that the large batteries in today’s electric powered cars only last a maximum of ten yoears before they have to be replaced.
    Hopefully some ‘expert’ on this site will be able supply the expected shelf life of a large battery in an electric powered vehicle in the U.K.
    The batteries in laptops, IPads and iPhones do not last forever and the batteries in electric powered cars will likely be the same,
    The batteries should last around 6 years before any noticeable depreciation in performance,if they are looked after. The Cost of replacing them varies from car to car,but i know some of those used as taxis have been using the same battery for 8 years. Driving style also has an impact,as with all cars.

Did you know that petrol and diesel cars also lose range when heating and lights are on or if you have windows open.

Petrol or diesel cars also lose range sitting at traffic lights or jams, which is not an issue for electric cars but again,the batteries last about 6 years at ultimate performance,or thereabout. In some cars you can actually lease the battery instead,which avoids the cost of replacing them.

Hope that helps

More total nonsense

A few points

1. The mezzanine deck of any Calmac ferry will be rated for the weight it can safely carry, that rating will include a factor of safety of probably 50%. Calmac will know the spec of all vehicle and will know what cars can and can't go on a mezzanine deck. Marine safety is incredibly complex and very strict and Calmac will not be able to operate any ship without the appropriate licenses and safety certificates in place. Although The Herald Of Free Enterprise was an awful disaster at least some good marine safety laws came from it. No mezzanine deck will be collapsing under the weight of electric vehicles any time soon, I'm pretty sure of that.

2. Ships are always uprating their fire safety systems, it's one of the safety requirements that are upspec'd very regularly. One of the drawbacks of using steel systems at sea is that they rust and need constant repair or replacement. Any rust on a fire protection system will result in it requiring immediate action.

3. I really would hope that Calmac Ferries are in regular dialogue with the MCA about the possibility of EVs catching fire. These pesky risk assessment get everywhere don't they? And thankfully they didn't just dismiss their legal duty to assess that risk as scaremongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    More total nonsense

A few points

1. The mezzanine deck of any Calmac ferry will be rated for the weight it can safely carry, that rating will include a factor of safety of probably 50%. Calmac will know the spec of all vehicle and will know what cars can and can't go on a mezzanine deck. Marine safety is incredibly complex and very strict and Calmac will not be able to operate any ship without the appropriate licenses and safety certificates in place. Although The Herald Of Free Enterprise was an awful disaster at least some good marine safety laws came from it. No mezzanine deck will be collapsing under the weight of electric vehicles any time soon, I'm pretty sure of that.

2. Ships are always uprating their fire safety systems, it's one of the safety requirements that are upspec'd very regularly. One of the drawbacks of using steel systems at sea is that they rust and need constant repair or replacement. Any rust on a fire protection system will result in it requiring immediate action.

3. I really would hope that Calmac Ferries are in regular dialogue with the MCA about the possibility of EVs catching fire. These pesky risk assessment get everywhere don't they? And thankfully they didn't just dismiss their legal duty to assess that risk as scaremongering.
    I have a friend who used to work in the drawing office of the Robb Caledon shipyard in Dundee and he does not like his car sitting underneath or on the mezzanine deck of the MV Finlaggan when he travels to Islay for a holiday as he knows how these mezzanine decks are designed and built.
    From May 2016 until the MV Finlaggan went to dry dock the following winter the mezzanine deck on the MV Finlaggan was not in use as it had been condemned by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency after it broke down.

There are no prizes for guessing that I am the member of the public mentioned in the minutes of the Islay Community Council meeting held on 18th May 2022 raising my concerns about the heavier weight of electric powered vehicles sailing on the Calmac ferries compared to the weight of petrol and diesel powered vehicles.
    It has never been mentioned in the minutes of Islay Ferry Committee meetings to date nor has it ever been mentioned in the minutes of the Calmac Community Board of Directors meetings which are attended by the bosses of Calmac Ferries Limited, CMAL and Transport Scotland.
    The secretary of Islay Community Council who is also a member of the Calmac Community Board of Directors told me that he raised the heavier weight of electric powered vehicles sailing on Calmac Ferries at the Calmac Community Board of Directors meeting which was held on 27th May 2022 and it should mentioned in the minutes of the meeting when they are eventually published after the next board of directors meeting.

Pr

There are no prizes for guessing that I am the member of the public mentioned in the minutes of the Islay Community Council meeting held on 18th May 2022 raising my concerns about the heavier weight of electric powered vehicles sailing on the Calmac ferries compared to the weight of petrol and diesel powered vehicles.
    It has never been mentioned in the minutes of Islay Ferry Committee meetings to date nor has it ever been mentioned in the minutes of the Calmac Community Board of Directors meetings which are attended by the bosses of Calmac Ferries Limited, CMAL and Transport Scotland.
    The secretary of Islay Community Council who is also a member of the Calmac Community Board of Directors told me that he raised the heavier weight of electric powered vehicles sailing on Calmac Ferries at the Calmac Community Board of Directors meeting which was held on 27th May 2022 and it should mentioned in the minutes of the meeting when they are eventually published after the next board of directors meeting.

Pr
    Additional weight, or potential additional weight, for the typical vehicle is a genuine risk that needs to be assessed so of course it should be raised. However that risk should be mitigated to ALARP to accommodate the vehicles which is what will happen and the risk of mezzanine deck collapse will be negligible.

Likewise with the very, very low potential for them to go on fire - it'll be mitigated to ALARP and the risk will be negligible.

Pr
    SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

my family and I spend many a night reading those minutes,and trying to guess which member of the public said which things.

This weekend is now ruined

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    The batteries should last around 6 years before any noticeable depreciation in performance,if they are looked after. The Cost of replacing them varies from car to car,but i know some of those used as taxis have been using the same battery for 8 years. Driving style also has an impact,as with all cars.

Did you know that petrol and diesel cars also lose range when heating and lights are on or if you have windows open.

Petrol or diesel cars also lose range sitting at traffic lights or jams, which is not an issue for electric cars but again,the batteries last about 6 years at ultimate performance,or thereabout. In some cars you can actually lease the battery instead,which avoids the cost of replacing them.

Hope that helps
    I already know that if you use the air conditioning in your car that it reduces the number of miles per gallon that you get.
    The engine in my car has a facility in it which switches off the engine to save fuel whilst I am sitting at traffic lights or waiting in a queue of traffic and comes on as soon as I my foot touches the accelerator pedal.
    Replacing a battery in a petrol or diesel car is somewhat cheaper than replacing one or more batteries in an electric powered car.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)