+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 511 of 923 FirstFirst ... 11411461501509510511512513521561611 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,110 of 9227

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

So, in essence, what you’re saying Tricky is that things have changed significantly since 1975.

Of course you’re absolutely right...mind you, there’s been a few changes since 2016 and I certainly don’t ever recall a ‘no deal Brexit’ having any part in the Referendum choice back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    So, in essence, what you’re saying Tricky is that things have changed significantly since 1975.

Of course you’re absolutely right...mind you, there’s been a few changes since 2016 and I certainly don’t ever recall a ‘no deal Brexit’ having any part in the Referendum choice back then.
    Absoulte rubbish. We should never have joined in the first place. Had we been told the truth in the seventies, then voted. The British people would have rioted. Heath knew this and buried it in the archives,
    The starting point for my talk was the release under the 30-year rule last January of documents relating to Britain’s application to join the Common Market in 1970. What these papers revealed more starkly than ever before was just how deliberately the Heath Government and the Foreign Office set out to conceal from the British people the Common Market’s true purpose. They were fully aware that it was intended to be merely the first step towards creating a politically united Europe, but they were determined to hide this away from view.

As for 2016. Remind me again.
    What did the ballot paper say? Leave or remain I believe it was.
    If you was too thick to now listen to Cameron and others who explained what that meant. Then god help you.
    https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...e&action=click

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Absoulte rubbish. We should never have joined in the first place. Had we been told the truth in the seventies, then voted. The British people would have rioted. Heath knew this and buried it in the archives,
    The starting point for my talk was the release under the 30-year rule last January of documents relating to Britain’s application to join the Common Market in 1970. What these papers revealed more starkly than ever before was just how deliberately the Heath Government and the Foreign Office set out to conceal from the British people the Common Market’s true purpose. They were fully aware that it was intended to be merely the first step towards creating a politically united Europe, but they were determined to hide this away from view.

As for 2016. Remind me again.
    What did the ballot paper say? Leave or remain I believe it was.
    If you was too thick to now listen to Cameron and others who explained what that meant. Then god help you.
    https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...e&action=click
    Wow...you do get excitable and agitated when things aren’t going your way, Tricky. Almost as if you’re scratching a forty six year old itch.

Anyway...let’s look at the reality...those who voted for Brexit did so on the understanding that there would still be ‘frictionless and tariff free movement of goods’, that all UK citizens living in the EU and vice versa would continue to enjoy pre Brexit rights, that we (the UK) would fulfill our commitment to the 2014-20 EU budget, that security cooperation between the UK and the EU would continue and likewise with medical and scientific research which, I understand from others more knowledgeable than me, has already begun to suffer.

All that is seriously jeopardised by the prospect of a ‘No Deal’ Brexit. It is not what many who supported the Leave campaign voted for any more than they voted for three years of a weaker pound, more expensive holidays, more expensive imports, more complicated border arrangements etc.

The Referendum resulted in a tiny majority for an ‘orderly and well managed’ exit from the EU. Only the most committed and obsessive Eurosceptics remain in favour of a ‘No Deal’...it is bad for both the UK and Europe and there is absolutely no mandate in the country or majority in Parliament for a ‘no deal’.

If you think otherwise, why are you and all the other Remainers so frightened of a second Referendum now that so many more are so much better informed of the consequences?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

If you think otherwise, why are you and all the other Remainers so frightened of a second Referendum now that so many more are so much better informed of the consequences?
    .... might you have meant Leavers?

How do you know what leavers voted for, you have no knowledge of what was in their minds when they pencilled in their "X". You like to think they voted for an orderly Brexit but reality is that it was a yes or no, and not a how, question.

Most leave voters that I know were simply fed up with the past, present and prospective future under european political union. Didn't (and in some cases still don't) care how that exit is achieved. It was never a consideration, just get out, however

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    .... might you have meant Leavers?
    Oops...indeed...thank MA...senior moment!

Fair point, GP...obviously I don’t know what all Leavers voted for, but what I have described is what we were all told at the time of the Referendum and I do know of a number who have changed their minds since reality kicked in as is perhaps illustrated most clearly and most recently by the Welsh farmers.
    I’m not suggesting that people don’t continue to have reservations about the EU...as you know I share some of them...but what we’re in danger of getting at the moment is not what I believe people - by definition Leavers - voted for.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 15-08-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Maybe I'm an exception, but I actually didn't listen to any of the tripe that was thrown around by all sides prior to the referendum. Didn't listen to any of the debates, didn't listen to any politician discussing anything as I have learned over the years that with few exceptions they put the good of themselves ahead of the good of the country. Snouts in the trough one and all.

So I voted based on my own imperfect knowledge and experience. Maybe others were swayed by what they were indoctrinated with from both sides of the debate, who knows. Thus I find it hard to accept that others were persuaded by the propoganda "wot I wuz told", although I fear that was the case as Joe Public, on average, doesn't have the acuity to form his or her own considered opinion on such a complex issue.

Which of course does bring us back to the question of why Joe Public was asked.... but the answer to that is a self evident truth. I guess it was felt that the clay known as Joe Public could be manipulated and moulded to form the appropriate decision by those sponsoring either side of the debate: and one side were better at pottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    How do you know what leavers voted for, you have no knowledge of what was in their minds when they pencilled in their "X". You like to think they voted for an orderly Brexit but reality is that it was a yes or no, and not a how, question.

Most leave voters that I know were simply fed up with the past, present and prospective future under european political union. Didn't (and in some cases still don't) care how that exit is achieved. It was never a consideration, just get out, however
    He knows all our thoughts.. He is a wise old sage drama teacher, who knows what is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Maybe I'm an exception, but I actually didn't listen to any of the tripe that was thrown around by all sides prior to the referendum. Didn't listen to any of the debates, didn't listen to any politician discussing anything as I have learned over the years that with few exceptions they put the good of themselves ahead of the good of the country. Snouts in the trough one and all.

So I voted based on my own imperfect knowledge and experience. Maybe others were swayed by what they were indoctrinated with from both sides of the debate, who knows. Thus I find it hard to accept that others were persuaded by the propoganda "wot I wuz told", although I fear that was the case as Joe Public, on average, doesn't have the acuity to form his or her own considered opinion on such a complex issue.

Which of course does bring us back to the question of why Joe Public was asked.... but the answer to that is a self evident truth. I guess it was felt that the clay known as Joe Public could be manipulated and moulded to form the appropriate decision by those sponsoring either side of the debate: and one side were better at pottery.
    GP. I mentioned why in a different context in another post on this thread yesterday. The Tory party had been tearing itself apart for years over the EU. The referendum had one purpose, namely, to reunite the Conservative and Unionist Party and hereby make it the party mst likely to get elected. Cameron et al never countenanced, in their wildest dreams, that Leave would garner more votes than Reamin. Without that huge split in the Tory party, there would never have been a referendum. No Brexit either.

Yet again individual and party interests have taken precedence over all else.

I hate the EU with a vengeance but I believe it needs killing from within by reform and the removal of the political clout, once more becoming a free trade area and no more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    He knows all our thoughts.. He is a wise old sage drama teacher, who knows what is best.
    Oh God...another empty headed contribution from he who has nothing to offer.

More relevantly...wouldn’t disagree with anything in those second two paragraphs, GP...and thereby lies the tragedy of our current plight...we trusted in the notion of a simplistic vote by a poorly informed public on an incredibly complex question.

Oh ****...Roy’s out!

Page 511 of 923 FirstFirst ... 11411461501509510511512513521561611 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)