+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: O/T Yet another thread about Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    They want foreign money but not foreign people.
    Theres no such thing as "foreign money" its foreign investment and as such overseas investors crave what we offer in terms of stable returns ...and now stable and safe governance

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    WanChai, mon ami, there is no equivalence between money and people. It is the flawed logic of the 4 Freedoms which said there is that lead us to where we now are. In the dim and distant I borrowed money from the Skipton Building Society: I did not want, nor expect, several Skipton employees to move in with me. I hate to go against omniscient Tweedle but it is NOT a very good point.
    I get what your saying. I think movement of people has a relevance. The mistake is to compare inward investment and international trade deals to a Building society loan. I wouldnt expect a Barclays Mortgage employee to take up residence in my house.

Just about every trade deal Ive seen includes an element of free movement (or certainly guarateed easy access visas). Both China and India have said in the last few years Britain will not get our money without our people. The thinking isnt strictly quid pro quo. More that employees need guaranteed quick easy access to the recipient country. A China trade deal with Britain would include easy access for students (that they see as a long term benefit to their country).

China is doing a lot of investment in Africa and,South East Asia where access for their wirkers is a key part of the deal (as China moves to higher value production, Africa and South East Asia will become the next low cost production workshops).

3 of the 4 pillars of the EU are perfectly acceptable to most Brexiteers. Miller Bill will take foreign money but baulk at the idea accepting their people.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Theres no such thing as "foreign money" its foreign investment and as such overseas investors crave what we offer in terms of stable returns ...and now stable and safe governance
    Pedantics gmgm.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Me personally? Are you asking what I'm going to do regards coming out of Brexit? Or what I'm going to do to stay positive? Or have I misunderstood your question?
    You accused me of negativity and glass half full. I have to grasp the new opportunities Brexit presents.

So, yes, I did mean you personally. What are you going to do that is different which will make Brexit work.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    You accused me of negativity and glass half full. I have to grasp the new opportunities Brexit presents.

So, yes, I did mean you personally. What are you going to do that is different which will make Brexit work.
    Well it will only really work for me if the Scots rejoin because I'm perfectly located for some smuggling. Brexit will work because the new political paradigm does not require anything to work or fail but merely to be able to be presented as working or failing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456