+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well something else has just occurred to me over this statue business .

If it's so wrong to have pulled it down and slung it in the River Avon by a bunch of jobless rent a mob yobs .

They'd be no problem putting it back exactly where it was since it was fished out from the Bristol Waterfront this morning .

So go on and put it back then , you can't let the yobs win now can you ? .
    I don't see how putting it back would help the current situation , The Mayor of Bristol doesn't like the idea of the Statue and said it won't be missed ,

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Just to add to tonight’s discussion, ( although I don’t think the racism discussion will Ever end.)
    I’d like to make clear that I don’t in any way suggest Charlie was a racist. Nor do I think his jokes were intended to be racist. Nor am I calling him such. My use of Charlie was to demonstrate that within OUR lifetime the jokes we used to think funny and sat and laughed at are now such. It’s only as our world has moved on that we hopefully change. The Colson fella improved the lives of many in Bristol, yet the lives of many slaves were destroyed.
    The likes of Saville were feted and Celebrated, yet had a sinister underbelly. Only found out and reviled later. He too did some good.

That was my point.
    Charlie’s humour was, ( and still is funny) Not all his stuff was about taking the Mick ( see what I did there?)... about his and others race, but a good chunk was, I’ve howled at some of the jokes in the book, it’s out of print now, and I don’t think it’ll be printed again..... by laughing at the humour I don’t see myself as a racist, because as I read them I know that when written in those days it was seen as “Jokes”.

Today they would be rightly recognised as unacceptable.

I don’t think we should burn books like this, just as long as we appreciate that this is History that at the time was acceptable, but isn’t now.

Jules , following the end of WW1 Germany was on its arse with the allies [particularly France ] exacting severe reparation
    Along comes a certain Adolf Hitler & from a German point of view at that time,lifted the nation & no doubt did a lot of good which greatly benefitted the country but like your hero Colston was nothing short of evil
    Move on just a few years if you want an example of racism & enslavement
    Do you see any statues of Hitler & if there was don't you think the Jewish nation would have have "pulled" them down & would you have joined them
    I cite the fete of Saddam Hussien & his statue

Ah yes,. Perhaps we should now take Volkswagens off the road.

There are some idiotic stupid responses on here from time to time but this one tops the lot
    Do you know why VW survives to this day?
    But I suppose it helps you defkect from your true character

And BEFORE you reply Exile. I’m NOT supporting Hitler. I’ve been to Auschwitz. I full well know the horrors, history etc. . Your statement about Hitler was totally expected overnight . You haven’t surprised me. It’s by being able to learn about these horrors that we MAY. ( and I say MAY, as I’m also aware of the Balkans conflict atrocities) be able to avoid horrors like this again.
    The Jewish people would have more claim to remove the daily reminder of the Golf and Polo.

Stop now lad. You’ll be giving Ming the Merciless as an example next. You have my point, and my explanation as to why it shouldn’t have been brought down IN THAT WAY.

Well something else has just occurred to me over this statue business .

If it's so wrong to have pulled it down and slung it in the River Avon by a bunch of jobless rent a mob yobs .

They'd be no problem putting it back exactly where it was since it was fished out from the Bristol Waterfront this morning .

So go on and put it back then , you can't let the yobs win now can you ? .
    It’s down now. Your suggestion for the slave museum in Liverpool would be a good idea. It belongs there really.
    Some of the people (let’s not forget that the Elected Council actually voted for it to stay) in Bristol no doubt would then no doubt protest that “it’s their statue and then we start again. Restoring it to its original place would be really stupid.
    Last edited by Jules88; 09-06-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    I don't see how putting it back would help the current situation , The Mayor of Bristol doesn't like the idea of the Statue and said it won't be missed ,
    No I know it won't Roma I was just demonstrating the fact that in reality it really shouldn't have stood as long as it did .

I watched an interview with the Bristol Mayor and the interviewer asked him why he hadn't had it taken down , he's black by the way .

He said that as a black mayor he felt he couldn't despite he himself finding the statue an insult .

He was wary of his own colour and how that would have looked .

He was also wary of the divisions in the city over Brexit and thought it would have fanned the flames .

It's about symbolism Jules , statues are symbols mate .

It's about symbolism Jules , statues are symbols mate .
    Again.. I’m not arguing about it being removed. Just HOW. But I appreciate you not resorting to questioning my character in our “discussion”

Again.. I’m not arguing about it being removed. Just HOW. But I appreciate you not resorting to questioning my character in our “discussion”
    Why would I , people who are angry about the demos aren't necessarily against the Black Lives Matter campaign .

For me personally when you were part of this in central London and you have seen the other side too things don't leave you so easily .

https://youtu.be/FRj2K0ulD8Q

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast