+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Sunderland Post Match Thoughts

Sunderland were the form team going into this one. Stadium of Light a hostile place for away teams especially in the midweek evenings. Before kick off I was thinking if we can get a draw here then that'd be excellent and really put it in our hands to push on for Saturday.

That's exactly what we got on the back of a solid team performance. But I feel more downbeat today than I have all season. Maybe I'm getting superstitious in my old age but I'm starting to think fate deals us a hand where we get within two minutes of fantastic triumph only to have a cruel hammer blow knock us back down again.

We absolutely have to beat Gillingham now. MK Dons have a horrific away game against Plymouth where both teams need the win to secure their objective but we just cannot rely on Plymouth to do our work for us. In a final season game with so much at stake anything can happen, and that applies to us too. We have to roll our sleeves up one more time and make the hard work and rollercoaster of this season mean something.

Tough one for Icky, I feel what he did was not necessary but as alluded to earlier in the thread, maybe he was trying just a little too hard? Keep your head up lad (but not enough to nod the ball in the wrong net again!)

We can do this. Lets just get the defibs on standby for the 88th minute on sat!

UTM
    Last edited by DerekProsser(East Anglia); 27-04-2022 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    You can't honestly believe that Kelly has any chance of starting at the weekend?! He hasn't played a single minute for us yet you would bring him in from the off in the biggest game of the season? C'mon gru. Daft talk.

No need to change the team for the weekend. We go again.

You've had Harding as LWB, CB and RWB in the space of a few messages

Don't agree. It's our chance Saturday to get the job done one chance that's it. We don't look like scoring goals from open play. Whose going to score them? Tutu I don't see much what he's bringing to the side. Kelly see if he can.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Don't agree. It's our chance Saturday to get the job done one chance that's it. We don't look like scoring goals from open play. Whose going to score them? Tutu I don't see much what he's bringing to the side. Kelly see if he can.
    All I'm saying is that there is absolutely zero chance imo that PW will start a guy who hasn't played a single minute for us. It's just not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    It's the wrong match to see what Kelly can do. I've been as confused as everyone else about why we brought the lad in and have wanted to see him play since we signed him. But because we haven't seen him for a minute then we don't know if he's the next Alan Lee or the next Gijsbert Bos. There's too much at stake on Saturday to start him and run the risk he's the latter.

Tutu is bringing frightening pace to the side and he and Ogbene absolutely terrified Sunderland yesterday. He just seems to be carrying knocks that catch up with him mid game but I'm definitely happy with his contribution

A really good performance,it was going back to 2021.Everyone was confident on the ball,clear headed and eager to push forward.The only worry Warne et al have before Saturday is Tutu in certain defensive situations.We need him on the pitch offensively but he was caught out a couple of times against Oxford,and again last night.I feel sorry for Icky.Flashbacks to Tommy Hutchinson but I'm not in agreement with some because I do think he needed to deal with the ball.The ball in was meant for Stewart on the far post but the delivery wasn't that good and that's what caught him out.It ended up bending on a low trajectory and because of this he ended up facing his own goal in the 'corridor of uncertainty'.It wasn't Victors' and he knew Stewart was behind him.I think he's tried to head it over.Defenders are always taught to deal with balls into the box and if he had left it and Stewart had got a toe end on it and scored ,everyone would have been saying why Icky didn't deal with it.I couldn't imagine any saying,'he left it because there was a decent chance he would have scored an own goal'!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    A really good performance,it was going back to 2021.Everyone was confident on the ball,clear headed and eager to push forward.The only worry Warne et al have before Saturday is Tutu in certain defensive situations.We need him on the pitch offensively but he was caught out a couple of times against Oxford,and again last night.I feel sorry for Icky.Flashbacks to Tommy Hutchinson but I'm not in agreement with some because I do think he needed to deal with the ball.The ball in was meant for Stewart on the far post but the delivery wasn't that good and that's what caught him out.It ended up bending on a low trajectory and because of this he ended up facing his own goal in the 'corridor of uncertainty'.It wasn't Victors' and he knew Stewart was behind him.I think he's tried to head it over.Defenders are always taught to deal with balls into the box and if he had left it and Stewart had got a toe end on it and scored ,everyone would have been saying why Icky didn't deal with it.I couldn't imagine any saying,'he left it because there was a decent chance he would have scored an own goal'!
    agree with the above.

I thought we played well and with confidence. Unlucky not to win . We’ll played to the team and manager. Well worth the drive up and getting stuck in the multi-storey car park for half hour after the match .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    Nicely put is that Jimmy, although as bad as it was for icky, it would have been irrelevant had smudge buried the close range chance he should have buried only 3 mins before the own goal, which would have put the game to bed, and I'm sure that will also have gone through smudges mind when they levelled.

That was the football we all know we are capable of playing. Some excellent “on the floor” football played. More please!!!

Sunderland were dire and I thought they would have given us a better game than than that. They wouldn’t have scored from open play if we were still playing now. Thing is I can see them winning the play offs.

It all rolls on to Saturday where we CAN claim promotion so bring it on! Whatever the outcome we’ve had a tremendous season any other team in League one would be proud of and gladly taken.

Listening to Gilsey and his mate who do video blogs of every Sunderland games. They both commented that Rotherham have been playing crap for a few weeks which we all know, but last night they played like they played earlier in the season everything about Rotherham was descent comments and at the end said If they were Rotherham fans they would be disapointed to come away with a draw because they deserved to win. Well now a little more confident going into Saturdays game UTM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast