+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Legends One and All

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    Attachment 24213

Dug this out following all the nostalgic chatter...
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    Attachment 24213

Dug this out following all the nostalgic chatter...
    Wow! I wonder what happened to mine?

Wow! Amazin stories guys ... smiles, chuckles, and even the odd wee tear readin' through.

My story o' that night is by contrast, borin' ... but Ah'm tellin it onywye.

From 1978 my time was split between my first full time job and my new love ... punk rock.... and being a 9-5er, Weekends were my love life ... but having been a regular at Pittodrie, first team and reserve matches for a solid 7 to 8 years, of course, I followed results .... and got to the occasional game.... til 1981 ... unemployed, skint

A weekend of punk rock chums and music ... whether in a wee venue or some buggers house, oft-times my own, was ... well affordable, and rewarding as well .... then came the shaggin'! .... and bein unemployed, the weekends .. and the shaggin' ... on top o' the skintness ... ruled oot attendin the fitba.

But, Ah still followed the results ... shouted 'fkn yass' if we gubbed the huns ...or ony ither c*nt for that matter ... and uttered unplanned string of half words and curses if we lost .... which, thankfully, was not often.

By 1983, I was absorbed in Community Theatre ... and political street theatre, also, reinvigorating my punk band which had 'lapsed' to the point of comatose ... 6 months after being on a compilation album which spent 2 weeks on top of the 'Sounds' punk chart ... ahead of UK Subs Live 'Crash Course' album.

Following the Dons had dropped down my personal agenda.

One Tuesday night, as I was meeting with a street theatre cast, I got there and the radio was turned off .. as we were 2-1 down to Bayern fkn Munich ... no surprise? ...
    Anyway, we had work to do ... and work we did ... and when we were done, our host was 'urged' to stick the 'wireless' back on ...

Fkn hell!!! We won!!??! ... We fkn won!! Holy Fk! ... We won!

Canna remember where Ah was durin the semis, but the fact Ah didna see them live or highlights, or heard radio commentary, suggests Ah was heavily involved in either creative, political, musical or ***ual activity.

But the final? ...

If ever Ah should hae bunked aff school? ... Wed May 11 1983.

Ah'd enrolled in night classes in Electronics ... Unemployed for 2 years ... needin tae diversify ... skint as a front paw propelled, worm infested dog upon a barbed wire carpet.

As we went about our business of soldering together something simple, like a wee buzzer circuit, one of our 'classmates' had a fancy watch ... wi' a radio and earphone output ... wow! modrin technology!!

So we got a sparse, but personal commentary.

GOAL! Black! Yasss ... and we carry on soldering.

Pen... Madrid .. fck! ... 1-1 ... sh!te

.... Night class ends as the game goes tae extra time.

So ... hame on the bus .. tae ma girlfriends hoose in Sandilands.

Ah get there ... "Fit's the Aiberdeen result??? "

"Eh?"

Girlfriend's mither is listenin tae a ****in album by an auld Aiberdeen Band ca'd 'The Playboys' .... a fkn covers band ... girlfriend is playin some ****e like 'The Associates or Yazoo in her/oor bedroom ....

Ah ging back tae the livin' room ... the telly is on wi the fkn sound doon .... and aboot ten seconds efter Ah look at it ... a picture o' Wullie Miller flashes on ... holdin the fkn cup!

Ah skirled oot a big YASSSSS! .... in a fkn household completely oblivious tae fit the fk Ah wis skirln aboot

.... Ma girlfriend o' nearly 3 years - didna ken fit Ah was skirlin aboot.

We split up pretty soon efter!

Ah went tae the bus parade ... fk ... so many bodies ... wonderful ... but bein' a lapsed game-goer Ah kinda felt a wee bit 'unworthy' ... Ah got tae see fit Ah needed/wanted tae see ... and didna feel Ah could tak up a space at pittodrie if Ah displaced some bugger fa had been goin there aa season ... as opposed tae my one or two appearances v Morton, Motherwell or fitivver.

It was incredibly emotional nonetheless, and an unforgettable blur.

Brilliant posts NMN.

The start of the BBC programme mentions oil and prosperity in the City.
    Prosperity isn't a word I would have used to describe Aberdeen in the 80s.

I knew of two people who went to Gothenburg, one of them was through the council funded trip for kids and the other was my Brother in Law, who had a decent job on the trawlers at the time.

Reading all the stuff this morning.

5 years since Neale Cooper died?

Christ all fückin mighty where does the time go?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    Brilliant posts NMN.

The start of the BBC programme mentions oil and prosperity in the City.
    Prosperity isn't a word I would have used to describe Aberdeen in the 80s.

I knew of two people who went to Gothenburg, one of them was through the council funded trip for kids and the other was my Brother in Law, who had a decent job on the trawlers at the time.
    Aye it was only prosperous for those in the oil or fishing but for the vast majority of everyone else we were being shafted by Thatcher.
    Just watched the ceremony thing on Red TV. A very good watch if you want your lump in your throat again. Well done the Dons for putting this out. I have to say a minister came on about half way through,???? Anyway it's worth a watch

I'm sure I've asked this before, but d'ye mind " The Miscreants" ? Contemporaries of " The Enormous Snakes".....

Quote Originally Posted by Br0chred View Post
    Aye it was only prosperous for those in the oil or fishing but for the vast majority of everyone else we were being shafted by Thatcher.
    Just watched the ceremony thing on Red TV. A very good watch if you want your lump in your throat again. Well done the Dons for putting this out. I have to say a minister came on about half way through,???? Anyway it's worth a watch
    Is it available to non-subscribers any place?
    I think the minister in question is an old pal of mine, with whom I went to school.

I can confirm he's a top-red.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Is it available to non-subscribers any place?
    I think the minister in question is an old pal of mine, with whom I went to school.

I can confirm he's a top-red.
    He mentioned that he was a Stoney loon (although I think he mentioned something about being from Aberdeenshire which is oxymoronic), saying that he was Billy McNeill’s paper loon.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast