+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 62 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Close season transfer targets and possible departures...

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    So pleased they re-posted this with subtitles, as I didn't understand a bl00dy word of it first time around...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1664907521335730176
    Brilliant to watch, and underlines one of the main reasons we went up:

TEAM SPIRIT

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive not Reactive View Post
    Sorry Durham I think you have completely lost the plot now - McGoldrick has played Premier League,regular for a number of seasons in the Championship, 20 plus goals in Division 1 LAST season(two levels above where we were playing) and you would prefer the very likeable Vinny who was at best a decent squad player
    I think you are reading too much into Radar with us ONLY signing young hungry players hopefully on their way up.
    LW's instructions from the brothers will be to get us to at least Division 1 where we have a chance of breaking even, as close to the budget as possible, playing a style of football that we have identified.
    Along the road we will lose players and replace them with better players(even if it is for 1 season) look at Luton from the squad that got promoted from the NL they had one of those players left when they won the championship.
    Without a certain John Bostock we would still be in the NL - don't think he was a radar signing but LW knew he was a player that would add quality ... and so it proved.
    If the view JB has at least another 2 seasons in his legs which I do believe I would get a new contract in front of him as his runs out after this season. The bros were quite clear its value for money, finding those undervalued nuggets. Probably DM and JB don’t obviously fall in that category but what you get is what happened with JB in the play offs, he was several classes above because of his confidence, belief and experience.
    Last edited by matt_magpie; 05-06-2023 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive not Reactive View Post
    Sorry Durham I think you have completely lost the plot now - McGoldrick has played Premier League,regular for a number of seasons in the Championship, 20 plus goals in Division 1 LAST season(two levels above where we were playing) and you would prefer the very likeable Vinny who was at best a decent squad player
    I think you are reading too much into Radar with us ONLY signing young hungry players hopefully on their way up.
    LW's instructions from the brothers will be to get us to at least Division 1 where we have a chance of breaking even, as close to the budget as possible, playing a style of football that we have identified.
    Along the road we will lose players and replace them with better players(even if it is for 1 season) look at Luton from the squad that got promoted from the NL they had one of those players left when they won the championship.
    Without a certain John Bostock we would still be in the NL - don't think he was a radar signing but LW knew he was a player that would add quality ... and so it proved.
    I couldn't care less how many games he has played in the premier league or wherever. We should not be signing players who are coming to the end of there careers. We have been down this route before and look where it has got us.. You seem to forget that we have Scott who if you hadn't noticed scored 14 goals last season without playing too many games. Those are the sort of players we need to be developing, not someone out for a last pay day...

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    So pleased they re-posted this with subtitles, as I didn't understand a bl00dy word of it first time around...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1664907521335730176

Same here, had no idea until he said "promoted"!

Also watching a vlog of the game from Chesterfield side and during the penalties, two members of the Notts backroom staff want firing, or at least fining for their reaction to the Bostock's failed panenla attempt! Shocking from anyone associated with football.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I couldn't care less how many games he has played in the premier league or wherever. We should not be signing players who are coming to the end of their careers. We have been down this route before and look where it has got us.. You seem to forget that we have Scott who if you hadn't noticed scored 14 goals last season without playing too many games. Those are the sort of players we need to be developing, not someone out for a last pay day...
    Developing is an interesting point you make Durham. The rumour is that DM is looking for a player/coach role. So by definition he would be supporting the development and of players as well as developing his coaching skills. Do you honestly think having someone with DM’s experience wouldn’t develop the likes of Scott and Macca?
    IMO there is no problem having a smattering of older players ‘out for a final pay day’ as long as they are happy to mentor the radar signings.

What about a player like Jayden Richardson who has pace and quite a bit of size? Don’t know how he fared north of the boarder last time I check he wasn’t starting many, but I felt he was really talented and was going to greater things.

Also like the idea of Ryan Sweeney who just captained Dundee to the title this year and is out of contract, previously played for Mansfield where he played well I believe, I do quite like Scottish defenders they are always quite physical.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Barnsley are a prime example of a club trying to do what some might call "Radar". Decided to only try and sign players 23 and under with a view to sell on after a couple of years for an enhanced fee. They still needed the services of an old head in James Norwood (33) to help them push for promotion this season and it nearly paid off!
    The thing is just because a player maybe over 30 it doesn’t mean they are past it or can’t do a job for a club. It’s all about the right kind of player for me. Are they going to use their wealth of knowledge and experience to improve the dressing room and be a role model and mentor for younger players is also a big factor. They are the ones you need around the dressing room when it’s the big games, or when things are not going to plan the leaders and the managers eyes and ears. Do they still enjoy the game and are they still passionate about it. I’m thinking the likes of JOB here, also Rawlinson and Slocombe. They are radar signings.

The problem we had in the past is we would sign players in their 30’s who may have been looking for a year or two deal just to see them through to retirement. They may not have been the right kind of characters for the dressing room. Instead maybe ones that were happy to step down to a lower level to relax and take it a bit easier and who nobody else in the football league wants. Plus they knew they didn’t really need to work too hard because managers changed regularly. They are the ones to avoid and would not be a radar signing for me.

I couldn't care less how many games he has played in the premier league or wherever. We should not be signing players who are coming to the end of there careers. We have been down this route before and look where it has got us.. You seem to forget that we have Scott who if you hadn't noticed scored 14 goals last season without playing too many games. Those are the sort of players we need to be developing, not someone out for a last pay day...
    Agree with you Durham, 3 months into the season he'll turn 36 - this is not the kind of signing I'm looking for at all.

We know enough about the characters of Maca and Cedwyn now to know that they don't need mentoring by anyone. They're not young apprentices, they're 26 and 24, very confident and ambitious winners and we should be letting them have their heads. Another youngish prospect or two to understudy them is what we should be spending the budget on

It does depend on their attitude Durham else I would agree. If it’s been a long term ambition of his to finish at Notts when he still feels like he has something to offer and wants to be part of the set coaching up after that then it maybe different.
    It’s a surprising one for me and I would only want it to happen if we lose Ruben as I agree that Scott shouldn’t be pushed any further down the pecking order.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    If it’s been a long term ambition of his to finish at Notts when he still feels like he has something to offer and wants to be part of the set coaching up after that then it maybe different.
    It's my long-term ambition too, doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Which way around is it - the club chooses who it employs? Or players pick out who they play for? Maybe he wants to play for F-Word too, he spent 4 years there, so maybe he supports them more than us
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 05-06-2023 at 07:51 PM.

Page 62 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast