+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread: New manager

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Wonder how the team might look for next season... I suspect a lot of out of contract players will be gone and possibly Ferguson and hedges of decent offers come in. But assuming they stay and we sign one or two that we’ve been linked with, it could look something like this...

Lewis
    McCrorie Gallagher Hoban
    O’Donnell Brown Ferguson Hayes
    Hedges
    Kamberi Griffiths

Obviously don’t know what system Glass will go with but I don’t think he can accommodate mccrorie brown and Ferguson all in midfield
    Whoever the personnel might be, keep well clear of three at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I don't mind three at the back, providing the defenders are capable enough and the two wide midfielders are able to concentrate more on attacking than defending (which should be the case if one of the central midfielders is defensively minded, such as Brown). I'd suspect Considine will be used more as backup next season, unless he has an incredible Euros and gets snapped up by Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Wonder how the team might look for next season... I suspect a lot of out of contract players will be gone and possibly Ferguson and hedges of decent offers come in. But assuming they stay and we sign one or two that we’ve been linked with, it could look something like this...

Lewis
    McCrorie Gallagher Hoban
    O’Donnell Brown Ferguson Hayes
    Hedges
    Kamberi Griffiths

Obviously don’t know what system Glass will go with but I don’t think he can accommodate mccrorie brown and Ferguson all in midfield
    If they play Hayes as a wing back I’m not sure he’ll stick around for long.

I look at that line up and I really, really struggle with the idea of Griffiths as an Aberdeen player. The guy's got talent to burn, but unless Glass/Brown know something about his personality and work-ethic that we don't, he just always strikes me as a liability off the field. That said, if some of that has its roots in mental health issues, as has been suggested in the press before, then very happy to give him the benefit of the doubt if they can give him the support he needs.

Playing devil's advocate though, what I liked about McInnes originally was that he clearly tried to create a team ethos and didn't want any big egos/knobs in the team. Clearly Greg Wylde didn't fit that mould, but he was shown the door early. And obviously Goodwillie's criminal past was something he was willing to overlook for some reason (cue Mason). But it felt to me like in recent times like that team ethos/fitting in thing became the over-riding priority. Which then resulted in all those re-signings, which I wasn't a fan of, and to be honest, us just not being nasty enough on the pitch. Felt like we were prioritising personality over talent.

I guess there needs to be a balance between talent and ego, and maybe having Brown in the squad/staff will help to manage that, since you can see him clamping down hard on anyone who gets above themselves.

But still, Griffiths in a Dons shirt would be a bigger leap for me than Brown, believe it or not.

Obviously, we've no real idea whether Griffiths is on the radar or not, but the point is a general one I think about team ethos vs talent and whether there's a trade off there.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I agree, despite the recent favour for 4231 433, I'm increasingly looking wistfully back to 442, the problem with 3 at the back is that the wide players naturally sit too deep and give the opposition time against any break. might be different with different personnel of course. Can't see Kamberi coming back and it would be no surprise to see Ferguson off

Remember this isn’t Derek McInnes so I certainly don’t expect to start a match with Brown, Ferguson and McCrorie in midfield as that would be 3 players who aren’t particularly great at attacking. I reckon Ferguson will be sold to help finance new more positive signings in the summer. Let’s give Glass the benefit of doubt and consider we actually might have a fairly decent attacking team next season.
    If Lee Griffiths wants to come then so be it, he will certainly score more goals than our current strikers. Big changes needed...we need a new mentality and hopefully that will be delivered over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Remember this isn’t Derek McInnes so I certainly don’t expect to start a match with Brown, Ferguson and McCrorie in midfield as that would be 3 players who aren’t particularly great at attacking. I reckon Ferguson will be sold to help finance new more positive signings in the summer. Let’s give Glass the benefit of doubt and consider we actually might have a fairly decent attacking team next season.
    If Lee Griffiths wants to come then so be it, he will certainly score more goals than our current strikers. Big changes needed...we need a new mentality and hopefully that will be delivered over the summer.
    I've actually been quite encouraged listening to Glass speaking - he comes across well, with confidence and seems like he has a plan in mind. Sounds like he's basically watched all our games over the past season so he'll know the strengths and weaknesses already.

We need more winners in the team and a bit of swagger and confidence - players like Brown and Griffiths would bring that, and would encourage others to show it too. Most of our players give up too easily and there's no fight in them.

I can't see him playing Brown, Ferguson and McCrorie in a midfield 3, which is why i wondered whether McCrorie might end up on the right of a back 3 - he's athletic enough that he can cover that right side to avoid whoever's playing right wing back having to track back constantly.

I'd like the idea of a combination of Hedges, Kamberi and Griffiths as a front three - I think that could work well - someone like Anderson would maybe fit in well in to that type of front-line too. Hopefully we're not stuck with some huge lump of wood up front anymore like we've always had with McInnes in charge.

I do wonder whether Ferguson and Hedges might be off though. We've got loads of central midfielders still when you also add in Campbell and McGeouch and the young lad Virtanen. A couple of them will surely go.

What makes you think Kamberi will be here next season?

He’s still got 2 years left on his contract with St Gallen and I’m sure I read somewhere they would be looking for £1 million for him.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    What makes you think Kamberi will be here next season?

He’s still got 2 years left on his contract with St Gallen and I’m sure I read somewhere they would be looking for £1 million for him.
    That was me that said that. Pulled it out of thin air tho`........!!

( I`m also guilty of suggesting the 2 Internationalists that " Brooner" was allegedly bringing with him were Leigh, and Gallacher. Made that up too. !!
    Then when other folk started repeating these rumours, and it started getting printed in the glasgow press, I began to get a thrill out of inventing sheeiittte. I`ve now just gone and planted another one , that next signing will be Stephen Donnell ? )

Be interesting watching all this grow arms and legs. Heck, who knows might give the real players and agents ideas too.............. If the O Donnell thing comes off, think I`ll try for Messi next.

I've actually been quite encouraged listening to Glass speaking - he comes across well, with confidence and seems like he has a plan in mind. Sounds like he's basically watched all our games over the past season so he'll know the strengths and weaknesses already.

We need more winners in the team and a bit of swagger and confidence - players like Brown and Griffiths would bring that, and would encourage others to show it too. Most of our players give up too easily and there's no fight in them.

I can't see him playing Brown, Ferguson and McCrorie in a midfield 3, which is why i wondered whether McCrorie might end up on the right of a back 3 - he's athletic enough that he can cover that right side to avoid whoever's playing right wing back having to track back constantly.

I'd like the idea of a combination of Hedges, Kamberi and Griffiths as a front three - I think that could work well - someone like Anderson would maybe fit in well in to that type of front-line too. Hopefully we're not stuck with some huge lump of wood up front anymore like we've always had with McInnes in charge.

I do wonder whether Ferguson and Hedges might be off though. We've got loads of central midfielders still when you also add in Campbell and McGeouch and the young lad Virtanen. A couple of them will surely go.
    I think a few players who are under contract will be moved on also. We do need changes and we certainly need a better mentality and approach to playing the game. Stephen Glass has come across well but the reality is what happens on the pitch. Let’s hope we are surprised in a good way. “We demand a strong Aberdeen who aim to win every competition they enter in Scotland” should be our new saying.
    Let’s make the Glasgow teams and Glasgow press sweat at the thought of us becoming the best team.

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast