+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Osborne

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    He held the job for about 5 years successfully. I'd suggest that would at least make him an experienced judge of a young player's ability and potential.
    Perhaps seeing the talent coming through at a Championship club has clouded his judgement when watching those appearing at our level. It's possible too that the coaches helped with their development early on so Ardley had a better chance of seeing their potential.

To stay in the job at the same club for five years does show he had some some degree of success there but perhaps there he should have stayed as he's not showed the same ability in managership.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    What a stupid thread. He was offered a new deal and chose to go to Leamington as he didn't think he was good enough to make Notts first team that's all there is to it. Perhaps he is, perhaps he isn't but it was his decision not the clubs.
    "He didn't think he was good enough" - Are you saying there that Osborne himself thought he wasn't good enough? I'd say the opposite. I'd say that the lad thought he was good enough to warrant a chance, but he was more than likely told he'd be sat on his ar$e most of the year. Given that "choice", what would be the point in staying. It's quite easy to offer a player (or an employee in any environment) an offer they CAN refuse

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    He held the job for about 5 years successfully. I'd suggest that would at least make him an experienced judge of a young player's ability and potential.
    A very bold statement
    Perhaps you could inform us of all the talent he has bought into the game and are now full time professionals.?
    I would suggest that would be the barometer of his success.xx

I can't believe a thread about Sam Osborne has reached 7 pages. It's very plausible that we low balled him a contract offer to stay at Notts cos the manager and coaches weren't suitably impressed to offer him more and weren't convinced he would have a big impact this season. That really should be the whole story here.

Don't forget last season on NCM there were repeated calls for Haydn Hollis to be recalled from his loan spell at Boston to play a role in the Notts back 4.

I note Haydn was sat on the bench on Saturday, and has hardly featured for struggling Chesterfield this season.

He obviously benefited in people's perceptions of him cos he was home grown take that away and he just wasn't good enough for the level we were at last season and it looks like he's not even at Chesterfield first team level this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    "He didn't think he was good enough" - Are you saying there that Osborne himself thought he wasn't good enough? I'd say the opposite. I'd say that the lad thought he was good enough to warrant a chance, but he was more than likely told he'd be sat on his ar$e most of the year. Given that "choice", what would be the point in staying. It's quite easy to offer a player (or an employee in any environment) an offer they CAN refuse
    If the statement put out when he left is to be believed which states "Sam Osborne has decided to leave Meadow Lane to pursue more regular first-team opportunities elsewhere" then yeah I'd say he didn't think he was good enough to get picked ahead of the other players in the squad. I'm not saying he wasn't but it was pretty clear to all to see the existing management didn't either so he probably made the right decision in leaving. it was his decision though and not the clubs. Happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post

Don't forget last season on NCM there were repeated calls for Haydn Hollis to be recalled from his loan spell at Boston to play a role in the Notts back 4.
    That would've been tricky, considering we released him in 2018.

Good spot Driller. Haydn Hollis and Pierce Bird, so similar in so many ways bar age and name of course lol.

My mistake Bird is warming the bench at Eastleigh currently. I wish him well down in Hampshire.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    A very bold statement
    Perhaps you could inform us of all the talent he has bought into the game and are now full time professionals.?
    I would suggest that would be the barometer of his success.xx
    A bold statement? No, simply an observation. I've no knowledge of the players there at that time but I strongly suspect that if he hadn't been doing a good job he'd have been replaced much more quickly in the modern game. You may have noticed how quickly results are expected at all levels nowadays. To counter, could you let me know of all the failures he had there? Probably not.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 23-11-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Now Ardley is the first team manager his job is on the line which is why he keeps playing his 'trusted' players even though they took us down. He can't bring himself to be brave and try something that might work better but might cost him his job if results get worse. Different situation completely to when he was academy manager.

Exactly, we are all playing poker with someone else's chips.

Easy for us to say we should be playing this loan player, or should be giving this youngster a chance when it's not our livelihood on the line. Ardley is simply not a risk taker.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast