+ Visit Scotland Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Stewarty's review.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    Far be it for me to stick up for someone saving that kind of tax, they are not breaking the law.

This isn't new to save those billionaires even more money, it's all legal and above board.

If you were to inherit property or cash your advisors would use the same laws to save you money. If anything needs changed it's the system.

The SNP want to reduce various taxes so companies pay less by locating to Scotland. It's a bit sanctimonious of the separatists to have a go at others for doing what the Scottish government will do.

Reducing Air Passenger Duty Tax won't help the NHS in Scotland one bit.

The SNP had the opportunity to vote through a Labour resolution to increase the top rate of tax by 1p to be spent on education....and they voted with the Tories AGAINST it.

Can some separatist please explain that one?
    Im not here to defend the SNP but you seem to fall into the strange category that many unionist do , assuming that wanting independence automatically means folk are SNP supporters in an Ind Scotland. I will vote for Independence if the chance is offered again but that doesnt mean Ill agree and vote for SNP or their policies at the first General Election following Independence. I'll vote for the party that offers a better vision / pathway than the UK has taken for 60 financially disastrous years.

As I said before for me an Ind Scottish Government of any colour / persuasion would need to be off the scale incompetent to even come close to the shocking financial state successive UK Governments have presided over.
    Last edited by steviex; 31-12-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    Im not here to defend the SNP but you seem to fall into the strange category that many unionist do , assuming that wanting independence automatically means folk are SNP supporters in an Ind Scotland. I will vote for Independence if the chance is offered again but that doesnt mean Ill agree and vote for SNP or their policies at the first General Election following Independence. I'll vote for the party that offers a better vision / pathway than the UK has taken for 60 financially disastrous years.

As I said before for me an Ind Scottish Government of any colour / persuasion would need to be off the scale incompetent to even come close to the shocking financial state successive UK Governments have presided over.
    First of all don't fall into the trap that everyone who voted No Thanks is a unionist.

If the only major party that wants independence is the SNP then voting for independence is voting for the SNP surely?

What a lot of shyte on both sides being talked, the status quo is the safe option, lets move on to laughing at the huns, that's what we can agree on.

First of all don't fall into the trap that everyone who voted No Thanks is a unionist.

If the only major party that wants independence is the SNP then voting for independence is voting for the SNP surely?
    A vote for the SNP prior to Independence is a means to an ends for many people it does not make them dyed in the wool supporters of every SNP policy. I actually disagree with quite a number of SNP policies but I do believe there is absolutely nothing that makes Scottish People less able to Govern themselves than any other country on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedice View Post
    What a lot of shyte on both sides being talked, the status quo is the safe option, lets move on to laughing at the huns, that's what we can agree on.
    That I'm afraid is an impossible statement to make (apart from laughing at Rangers, that will never cease to be fun) . No one knows what state the UK economy will be in in 10 years time. If you use the last 60 years as a template god only knows. As I said earlier Independence is no magic bullet and comes with no guarantees and no matter how much better together tries to state otherwise staying comes with no guarantees because no one,absolutely no one can predict the future. Not even these often quoted "experts". I've yet to hear an "expert" who saw the crash coming, the turmoil in the middle east, the collapse in the pound , the brexit vote.

There are no such things as "experts" when it comes to the future. There are experts who make an educated "guess". By looking back the most telling word about these experts is the word "guess" because that's exactly what they offer, best guesstimate, and are invariably wrong by quite some measure. I for my part am willing to accept we cannot be the only country on this planet unable to make the best decisions for ourselves. I am also willing to accept that in terms of making a c*unt of our financial future we'd still take some going to be as bad as successive UK Governments. The UK cannot be held up as some financial model of good governance.

I am confused by the line "First of all don't fall into the trap that everyone who voted No Thanks is a unionist".

If you voted no you must have wanted to stay part of the union... surely? so does that not make someone a unionist ?

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    I am confused by the line "First of all don't fall into the trap that everyone who voted No Thanks is a unionist".

If you voted no you must have wanted to stay part of the union... surely? so does that not make someone a unionist ?
    Not at all.

The SNP didn't make the case for independence for those of us looking for the case to be made.

Wee Willie and the Bravehearts think, as do you, that if you're not for us you're against us.

Calling people traitors, britnat, unionists etc does nothing to help the case but shows those people up for being blinkered to reasoned debate where every negative is someone else's fault.

Wee Willie and his band would vote for independence even if it meant Scotland being bankrupt as they want independence at any cost, others want to know the cost and not just a 'I'm right, they're wrong' that we got from Slamon at the referendum.

Not at all.

The SNP didn't make the case for independence for those of us looking for the case to be made.

Wee Willie and the Bravehearts think, as do you, that if you're not for us you're against us.

Calling people traitors, britnat, unionists etc does nothing to help the case but shows those people up for being blinkered to reasoned debate where every negative is someone else's fault.

Wee Willie and his band would vote for independence even if it meant Scotland being bankrupt as they want independence at any cost, others want to know the cost and not just a 'I'm right, they're wrong' that we got from Slamon at the referendum.
    I don't really think that the 'if you're not with us you're against us" argument holds water here. As Stevie correctly pointed out, regardless of who did or didn't make any case for any side, if you voted to stay in the Union then you are, by any definition going, a Unionist. If you voted yes then you are a supporter of independence.
    The question on the paper was not ambiguous in any way and the vote for independence had absolutely nothing to do with political parties.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSnakes View Post
    I don't really think that the 'if you're not with us you're against us" argument holds water here. As Stevie correctly pointed out, regardless of who did or didn't make any case for any side, if you voted to stay in the Union then you are, by any definition going, a Unionist. If you voted yes then you are a supporter of independence.
    The question on the paper was not ambiguous in any way and the vote for independence had absolutely nothing to do with political parties.
    Which mainstream political parties wanted independence?

Unionism was never mentioned on the ballot paper.

You seem to be falling into the same trap.

Which mainstream political parties wanted independence?

Unionism was never mentioned on the ballot paper.

You seem to be falling into the same trap.
    There is no trap. The vote was about independence for a nation and its people. It was not about any kind of victory for any political party who could have been voted out at the next election. A Unionist is simply a person who prefers Scotland to remain a part of the Union formed in 1707 rather than an independent country. There are no hidden meanings in the term. It is what it is.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)